Q-Jays vs IE7
May 10, 2009 at 6:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

xenithon

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi All,

I have had a hard time finding comfortable IEM's in the past couple of years, but recently tried a pair of S-Jays, which have been both impressive (sonically) and comfy. I am now looking to upgrade and the two in particular I am considering are the Q-Jays and the Sennheiser IE7.

I will travelling to the UK on business in a week or so and will look to pick something up there. I was hoping to stick to around £100, but can go up to around £125 if need be, which is about what the two abovementioned IEMs would cost.

Has anyone perhaps gotten a chance to compare the two? Over and above comfort, what I would want it something with tight/punchy bass - but not anemic. Midrange must have some body and a little warmth, and high frequencies sweet and somewhat forgiving (do not want something cold or clinical).

Cheers
X

May 10, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #2 of 19
Can't say I've compared the two, but I've found the q-jays to be very comfortable. It depends a bit on what tip you use. At first I used the super small silicon tip and shoved them in deep. I could barely tell I even had them in. Recently, for purposes of increasing soundstage and avoiding having to clean them all the time (the drawback to deep insertion), I've gone to comply tips, barely inserted. Still very comfortable. If you haven't seen these in person, they are small! Not much bigger than a jelly bean.

I won't comment on sound too much other than to say I like them.

May 10, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #3 of 19
I own both. The Q-Jays have better isolation and fit. With a good seal, they have tight/punchy bass. The IE7's will have more bass impact but it will get more tighter and controlled with burn in. As for midrange, the IE7's have the edge. The mids are somewhat similar to way they are presented on the Shure SE530s. Forward and lush. The highs are much more prominent on the Q-Jays and sometimes can be too harsh. If you like the highs from the Etymotic ER4P/S and/or Triple Fi's, then the Q-Jays will be a better choice. They are very small iem's. It's amazing that they fit two balanced armature drivers in each earpiece. The IE7's use dynamic drivers so they won't sound their best out of the box. 200 hours of burn seems to be the magic mark where they sound their best. In terms of microphonics, they are barely noticeable on the IE7. By wearing the cable over your ears with the Q-Jays, microphonics will be reduced but still noticeable.

May 10, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #4 of 19
Thanks for the feedback. So, for an unamped system would the Q-Jays be preferable? I used the S-Jays with my Sansa Clip and it worked a treat. I am not looking to amp the IEMs at this point in time.

The harshness of the Q-Jays is a little worrying though. I am quite sensitive to sibilance and an overly bright presentation. Do you find you can sufficiently tame it (e.g., with EQ)?

May 10, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the feedback. So, for an unamped system would the Q-Jays be preferable? I used the S-Jays with my Sansa Clip and it worked a treat. I am not looking to amp the IEMs at this point in time.

The harshness of the Q-Jays is a little worrying though. I am quite sensitive to sibilance and an overly bright presentation. Do you find you can sufficiently tame it (e.g., with EQ)?

Both of them sound great when unamped. I can tame them with my Sony NWZ-S639's EQ. I set 16 kHz at -3 or -2 and it works pretty well. I'm not sure about the Clip.

May 10, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Don't get the q-Jays then. I returned my q-Jays for the same problem -- sibilance and overly bright presentation. Go for the IE7's, or maybe an SE530 if you can find a good deal.

May 10, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

what I would want it something with tight/punchy bass - but not anemic. Midrange must have some body and a little warmth, and high frequencies sweet and somewhat forgiving (do not want something cold or clinical).

Punchy bass that is very present = IE7
Expansive soundstage, nice warm midrange = IE7
Nice highs that aren't rolled off and are definitely forgiving = IE7

Sounds like you want the IE7, not cold or analytical in any sense and very non-fatiguing sound.

May 10, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #8 of 19
only downside for the IE7 is that even you need some burn in time to get use to it. until having it on ~50hours, i still felt uncomfotable. but by 120hours now it becomes natural.

love to me isn't at first sight and being not the most critical listener in this planet, the ie7 satisfies me well enough.

May 11, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #9 of 19
I've read about the overly bright presentation of the q-jays with some dismay. At least compared to my Ety4s they are not bright in the least. I have a hearing condition that makes high tones very painful, so I'm acutely attuned to overly bright headphones or music.

As to sibilance, maybe but that isn't something that I pay too much attention to.

May 12, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #10 of 19
Thanks all for the feedback! So, where's the cheapest (reliable) place to get the IE7's in the UK?
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Thanks all for the feedback! So, where's the cheapest (reliable) place to get the IE7's in the UK?
biggrin.gif

AMP3...google it ot play.com I believe

May 13, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #12 of 19
Thanks - found them at decent pricing. Before pulling the trigger one final question: how do the Q-Jays and IE7 compare in terms of fit and comfort? My ears are pretty picky and can get sore quite easily. The S-Jays were comfortable and had a great seal; the Q-Jays use the same tips so I had thought they'd be very comfortable too, but I am not 100% sure about the IE7 (and do not have a chance to try before I buy).

May 13, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #13 of 19
My seal is pretty much always good... They stay like that for a good few hours easy...

May 15, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #15 of 19
I read in the IE7 appreciation thread that they do not offer much isolation. Interestingly, it seems like most people do not use the stock IE7 tips at all, but rather eBay flanges or modified tips from other IEM's. Are the stock tips no good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back