PWB Headphones.
Nov 30, 2007 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

jay.money

100+ Head-Fier
I stumbled across a pair the other day. They're electrostats and plug in to an amps speaker outs (via a transformer of sorts).

I can't seem to find out much on them, other than they were made by (the somewhat controvertial) Mr. Peter W Belt.

If anyones got some info or impressions for me, I'd be interested to hear it.

Dec 1, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #2 of 28
The only PWB headphones we know of directly here are the Dyna-X (which are isodynamic in nature and have a driver suspiciously similar to the audio-technica ath-2, realistic pro-30, and a Sawafuji 32-ohm 'tweeter' sold on ebay).

We're always curious, of course, do you have pictures?

Do they have any Magic Foil on them?

Dec 1, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #4 of 28
I did a whole lotta googling re PWB and was waiting for a pair of them to surface and when they did I purchased them off that auction sight. The pair I have isn't electrostatic but orthodynamic the dyna-x that ericj mentioned.

The build quality is simple, robust the cable on the cans were a dead give away that these things were "serious" headphones. While I can only venture to guess as to the quality of the sound of the electrostatics the orthos needed modifications but are now excellent.

Supposedly from what I have gathered he built headphones that were used by the BBC and his designs were "highly" regarded at the time. These are comments I gleaned from various ratings and arguments about magic foil and freezing of photographs.

Pictures would be great.

Dec 1, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jay.money /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No pics, but perhaps I'll go on a reconnaissance mission.

Thanks for the info. Any thoughts on how much $ is too much $ for these?

They seem to be in good shape. Transormer is included.

It's pretty much impossible to guess hos much they are worth if they even work. To some serious electrostatic headphone collector (not me, honest...
tongue.gif
) they might be worth a lot but most non-Stax phones from that era don't sound all that great. There are exceptions though such as the Beyer ET-1000 but there was a lot of crap out there...

Dec 1, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #7 of 28
The thing about unknown vintage 'stats is that they could be complete rubbish, or an old Stax SR-3. Or they could be micro-seiki's and completely nonfunctional. Or they could be something decent, too.

So "too much" is anywhere between $50 and $200, until we glean more knowledge about them. Pics would help a LOT as the housings would hit strongly at stax or micro-seiki or etc.

Dec 1, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #9 of 28
I've thought that the PWB dyna-x looked a bit like a Beyerdynamic design.
What ever the price its highly unlikely that another pair will fall in your lap.
Pay the ticket take the ride.

6cc1_1JPG.jpg

Dec 1, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #11 of 28
Looks like someone soldered on a Stax plug. I guess they couldn't find a matching hood either, eh?

Dec 1, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #12 of 28
Try here. There's a photo of the electrostat headset (looks like JadeEast's Dyna-X but in black) on page 6:

http://theadvancedaudiophile.110mb.c...ta_designs.pdf

I give Belt credit for recognizing the merits of the orthodynamic principle, but if the puzzling internal layout of his Dyna-X (small driver simply glued to center of the big grille of a headset obviously meant for a much larger driver, resulting in massive backwave leakage, thus no bass) is an indication of the quality of the company's work... Anyway, it looks as if the PWB 'stat transformer box was meant to drive Stax 'stats of the time as well as the PWBs, leading one to suspect another Stax OEM, as mentioned above.

Dec 1, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #13 of 28
I've seen the transformer box on ebay once or twice but my crazy collector tendencies are only for the phones so I let them go.
frown.gif
There are some clear signs of Stax involvement with those phones and they did do a lot of OEM work back in the day.

Sep 5, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #14 of 28
I have a set of pwb natural sound pro electro static  ear speakers 1978 original box and documents mint condition does anybody no how much they worth and where to sell them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back