PW Audio Cables Discussion Thread
Feb 5, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #1,591 of 1,613
Bit of an offtopic, but those of you owning Jewel AND Traillii or those who tried both, how do you feel they compare. I got an offer for Traillii JP which I prefer visually by far, but not sure it will be just as good of an allrounder as Jewel which sounds great with every genre to be honest even with stock cable.

I am used ZMF warmer neutralish analogue house sound as you can tell by my signature.

Two differently sounding IEMs. Jewel definitely has more revealing tonality, complementary to Traillii, due to a scaled down weight in bass and more neutral lower mids which brings out more clarity and details to upper mids. Usually people don't choose one or the other, but rather get them both to have a complementary tuning. Don't know if you into FR squiggles, but here is how they compare "on paper":

Aroma_Jewel_vs_Oriolus_Traillii.jpg

Feb 5, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #1,592 of 1,613
1950s is cheaper though :)
If you put price into account, I actually believe First Time has higher 'price-to-performance ratio', despite 'value' becomes very subjective considering multi-kilobuck cables:)

I highly recommend you check out @twister6 and @Tokpakorlo reviews on PW cables. Their reviews gave me lots of insight, despite I got both eventually:L3000:

One possible reason that I preferred 1950s Shielding was that it helped to tame Jewel's upper mids, which sounded a bit forward to me. First Time is relatively neutral, but there is a hint of brightness that is hard to ignore. That said with your N8ii, this may not be a big issue.

Feb 5, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #1,594 of 1,613
I cant say the treble hurts. Its just about on the edge of being displeasing, I still highly enjoy the Jewel on n8ii, just worried that with FTs the treble can become more.

Feb 5, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #1,595 of 1,613
I cant say the treble hurts. Its just about on the edge of being displeasing, I still highly enjoy the Jewel on n8ii, just worried that with FTs the treble can become more.
If you want a safe bet for I would go with 1950s Shielding, because it sounds relatively balanced to me and somehow relaxed on most iems.

On LPGT I hear FTs to add upper-mids and treble to Jewel, but these increments are less apparent on a warmer source, such as Sony WM1ZM2. Doubt if N8ii will do the same.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #1,596 of 1,613
If you want a safe bet for I would go with 1950s Shielding, because it sounds relatively balanced to me and somehow relaxed on most iems.

On LPGT I hear FTs to add upper-mids and treble to Jewel, but these increments are less apparent on a warmer source, such as Sony WM1ZM2. Doubt if N8ii will do the same.
I'd agree on 1950s shielding + fts being better cables, but they are also more "honest" and may show him better what he's actually trying to hide a bit.

drftr

Feb 5, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #1,597 of 1,613
Well, as they say, we all hear things differently and have a personal preference, and nothing is wrong with that :) I had a brief audition of 1950s and it reminded me of Orpheus due to its fuller body musical tonality. Relative to 1950s, pair up of Jewel with FT will scale up Jewel's reference tuning instead of changing its tonality. Again, all is a matter of a personal preference, and I prefer Jewel with FT, always come back to that pair up no matter what other cables I tried. Jewel is my reference IEMs I use in all reviews to analyze the sound. I don't want to mask or to smooth out its details, and that is what I found 1950s does to its sound.

There are choices, but no matter what you decide, be rest assured it will be better than that dreadful microphonic stiff stock cable :D
100% this!

These are precisely the aspects I wanted to emphasize with my comments. I would also like to support existing features instead of fundamentally changing them. Because of such an attitude, I normally prefer to stick with stock cables. I would rather change the cable in rare cases. I think the manufacturers have been doing a good job of pairing lately. I only made an exception for Jewel.

Feb 5, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #1,598 of 1,613
Getting both cables now and will keep the one I like more with Jewel, thanks to sellers open mindness =)

Feb 5, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #1,600 of 1,613
Getting both cables now and will keep the one I like more with Jewel, thanks to sellers open mindness =)

... I have a "bad" feeling you might end up keeping both :wink: Head-fi is not a healthy place for your wallet, that is why we greet everybody with "welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet" :D

Feb 5, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #1,601 of 1,613
That's the right attitude, you are a true headfier now :), congratulations and have fun with it!
I am pretty deep into over ear headphone game for years my friend, trying stuff for yourself is always the best way :)

Feb 5, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #1,602 of 1,613
... I have a "bad" feeling you might end up keeping both :wink: Head-fi is not a healthy place for your wallet, that is why we greet everybody with "welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet" :D
Haha yes. The issue was I was just reading another review where Amber Pearl was compared to Jewel and Trailllii and wondering now if Trailli wouldnt be the better IEM to get for my needs, the second thougt "well maybe Il get it next".

**** this lovely place.

Feb 5, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #1,604 of 1,613
A true addict more like. We should make anonymous headfier meet ups.

Feb 5, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #1,605 of 1,613
Bit of an offtopic, but those of you owning Jewel AND Traillii or those who tried both, how do you feel they compare. I got an offer for Traillii JP which I prefer visually by far, but not sure it will be just as good of an allrounder as Jewel which sounds great with every genre to be honest even with stock cable.

I am used ZMF warmer neutralish analogue house sound as you can tell by my signature.
I compared the two and preferred my Traillii. With 1950’s on Traillii and Chiron on Jewel they are more close than apart with Jewel providing a bit more bass impact and Traillii remaining the master of the mids and overall timbre. At the time I believe I felt if you owned one, there was no need to get the other. With Orpheus, Traillii now goes deeper in the bass and still has the upper hand in the mids as well. I would have to find my notes in the treble as I do not remember, but there was nothing I disliked. For me, both excellent with Traillii remaining my number one all rounder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back