Purity Audio's sale on the KICAS and Caliente
Dec 2, 2010 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

tnmike1

Headphoneus Supremus
Purity Audio is having a "Blue Christmas" sale on their Blue KICAS and Caliente amps--now $229.  I borrowed one of these awhile back from a fellow Hi-Fier and can attest it is one fantastic amp

Go to their website and read Skylab's review and others who loved this amp when it cost about $100 more--back around 2008.

Plan on pairing this with my iMod/Grado RS-1 setup which should sound fantastic

Dec 3, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #2 of 31
$229 is a steal for a KICAS, IMO.

To the OP... I use a KICAS standard/RS-1 combo at work. I like it very much.

Dec 7, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #5 of 31
I also got in on the blue KICAS sale.  I love the crap out of mine.  It banished a Matrix M-Stage to the secondary setup, in fact. 

Dec 7, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 31

Quote:
I recently got the Kicas Caliente Blue and I'm loving it. I'm using it with Sennheiser 580's and Headroom Micro DAC and it sounds great especially for the price.

Quote:
I also got in on the blue KICAS sale.  I love the crap out of mine.  It banished a Matrix M-Stage to the secondary setup, in fact. 

Good, Good *Evil Laugh* It's truly a fantastic amplifier.  I guess with the influx of newer amps and FOTM amps the KICAS/Caliente gets put in the sidelines.  Now go and promote it muhahah!

Dec 8, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 31

Quote:

It is a great amp. I was actually thinking of picking up a M-Stage to see if they can power the 600 ohm Beyers better than the Caliente.

For the HF-2s they're as perfect of a match in this price range, for a SS amp.

Dec 9, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #8 of 31
That's a crazy good price for these amps. Wow.

Dec 10, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #9 of 31
If I weren't trying to reduce my toy collection, I would have jumped on this weeks ago.

Dec 21, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #10 of 31
Encouraged by all of you, I ordered the K.I.C.A.S. regular in blue.  It arrived yesterday, beautifully packaged.  I was surprised that the blue looks much better than the photograph on the website.  I never would have chosen blue over black without the discount, but you needn't hesitate over that.

I'll defer sonic comments till 100 hours (and the arrival of a V-DAC, which should improve the sound I'm currently getting from a Pioneer DVD player).  Oriel Mendelovitz's help at Purity Audio is outstanding.    

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #11 of 31
I am astounded by the amp.  It has completely transformed the old Sennheiser headphones.  I posted a short amateur review in the review thread.  The only hard choice in all of this is whether to get the Caliente or the K.I.C.A.S. regular.  Because I listen to classical music and have Sennheisers (vintage models HD 530 and HD 560), I chose the regular.  The level of resolution is just stunning (I had no idea my headphones were capable of that).  Along with burn-in, there's some ear education to do.  Recordings now sound much more different from each other. The name Purity Audio is well earned.  

Dec 29, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #12 of 31
I'm surprised that we havent had a post from one of the DIYers telling us how cheaply they could build a KICAS. Whatever - with the strength of the AUD atm, this is an even better bargain than the Corda Swing, assuming we dont get too heavily reamed on the shipping costs. Seems like bizarro world when you can get a fullsize amp for less than some of the iBasso portables - happy days, indeed :)

Dec 30, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #13 of 31
Oriel at PA was very quick to respond to my query re shipping costs, and it soon became clear that the Swing is still a cheaper proposition for me:

Shipping to Australia is 70 CAD, and the total cost to Australia is $249 for the amp + $25 for the psu + shipping,  but the bad news is that I'm out of international power supplies.  If you want an amp, I can fill the order, but shipping would be delayed by about 1 week or so.

I am happy with the speed which Oriel replied, but a $249 amp just became a $344 amp - definitely not out of consideration, but not the screaming bargain it is for those in North America.

estreeter

Dec 30, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #14 of 31

Quote:
I am astounded by the amp.  It has completely transformed the old Sennheiser headphones.  I posted a short amateur review in the review thread.  The only hard choice in all of this is whether to get the Caliente or the K.I.C.A.S. regular.  Because I listen to classical music and have Sennheisers (vintage models HD 530 and HD 560), I chose the regular.  The level of resolution is just stunning (I had no idea my headphones were capable of that).  Along with burn-in, there's some ear education to do.  Recordings now sound much more different from each other. The name Purity Audio is well earned.  

The difference between the regular and KICAS is just a couple jumpers inside. If you email them I'm sure they would tell you how to mod it if you want.

Quote:
I'm surprised that we havent had a post from one of the DIYers telling us how cheaply they could build a KICAS. Whatever

But is it actually? and easy to do?

I was actually thinking about asking them if they would consider selling kits.

Dec 30, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #15 of 31
Many thanks, Armaegis.  But today I am in heaven.  I finally got the little plug and cord to connect the Musical Fidelity V-DAC to the Pyramid power supply, in place of the wall wart.  And that totally solves any problem I was having.  There is now plenty of bass -- just the right amount.  I am also realizing what those old Sennheiser HD 560s can do.  What an outstanding amp!  What an outstanding rig!  Thanks to all for the good advice, and kudos to Purity Audio and Oriel Mendelovitz. 

Estreeter, I have not heard the Swing, and Meir amps have a very fine reputation, so I can't compare, but I can say that I think you would be pleased with the K.I.C.A.S. or Caliente.  They used to sell for $399 in North America, and people thought they were a good buy then. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back