Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM136, PSM156, PSM1512 Power Conditioners
Oct 3, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #511 of 1,021
Some good and very promising news.

After being a little bit concerned, my Ultimate has been on constant burn in for around 35 hours when I decided to give it another listen last night.

Instantly my smile has returned. The initial harshness seems to have completely gone most of the background noise had gone, only being present in poorer recordings.

Too early to really judge but it also seems to have lifted the entire system to even greater detail and dynamics.

Reserving final judgement until this weekend when it will reach around 100 hours and then I’ll do some extensive testing between this and my Classic plus and then start to see what (if any) impact the Ground City and also the Routemaster have.

But the fact that my smile was already so broad means that signs are very promising indeed. I do like these products.

Oh I also purchased a Guardian that I’ll be using on my second system which is on a separate ring. Will report back on that too.

Oct 3, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #512 of 1,021

After being a little bit concerned, my Ultimate has been on constant burn in for around 35 hours when I decided to give it another listen last night.

Instantly my smile has returned. The initial harshness seems to have completely gone most of the background noise had gone, only being present in poorer recordings.

Too early to really judge but it also seems to have lifted the entire system to even greater detail and dynamics.

Reserving final judgement until this weekend when it will reach around 100 hours and then I’ll do some extensive testing between this and my Classic plus and then start to see what (if any) impact the Ground City and also the Routemaster have.

But the fact that my smile was already so broad means that signs are very promising indeed. I do like these products.

Oh I also purchased a Guardian that I’ll be using on my second system which is on a separate ring. Will report back on that too.

Be careful to distinguish between actual noise and "background noise in the recording"

I have noticed that when you reduce the actual noise floor in your system, the background noise (hiss) that exists in some recordings may become more noticeable.
This is the double-edged sword of increased detail retrieval.

I for one am happy with the trade-off, as it also means that good recordings sound even better than they did before!

Oct 3, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #513 of 1,021
Be careful to distinguish between actual noise and "background noise in the recording"

I have noticed that when you reduce the actual noise floor in your system, the background noise (hiss) that exists in some recordings may become more noticeable.
This is the double-edged sword of increased detail retrieval.

I for one am happy with the trade-off, as it also means that good recordings sound even better than they did before!
Yes agreed. What I was hearing initially was background noise from the new very revealing cable. What I’m hearing now is recoding noise but only in poor recordings.

Oct 3, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #515 of 1,021
@Tubewin Could you share your opinion about your Panamax filter vs. PSM156? It's much cheaper and internals seems quite solid, however I'm not an engineer of electronics. Is it Panamax M5400-PM 11 your model?
It's been awhile since I had the panamax plugged in, but if i remember correctly, the panamax was colder sounding and did not resolve as well as the psm156. The noise floor is higher on the panamax as well.

Oct 3, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #516 of 1,021
It's been awhile since I had the panamax plugged in, but if i remember correctly, the panamax was colder sounding and did not resolve as well as the psm156. The noise floor is higher on the panamax as well.
I used a panamax m4300-pm until very recently. It does do a little bit of filtering which refined the top end of my Peachtree Gan400 just enough not to be irritating, but the PSM156 is in a different league of refinement.

Oct 7, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #517 of 1,021
Hello, can somebody share a possible solution? I have Puritan 156 + Ultimate PC, which has been burned-in sufficiently for several months already. Never thought that ever would say this, but after connecting everything through PSM156, sound leads to fatigue, high frequencies and vocals are too prominent (not harsh, no S sibilance), but music not balanced. Can't say that dynamic shrunk, but these high frequencies and vocals shout too much and ask to reduce the volume.

1. Dedicated line. Furutech Rhodium NCF outlet +PSM156 + all equipment connected. Vocals, high frequencies to prominent, not balanced.
2. Dedicated line. Furutech Rhodium NCF outlet -> Only Integrated. Not dedicated Line + Gold outlet + PSM156 + DAC+ Streamer+Switch. More balanced, but still not correct.

Could it be that in 1st set Furutech Rhodium outlet + Integarted amp's PC with both Rhodium Plugs+ PSM156 Ultimate cable (is it silver?) combo leads to too much brightness?

I'm planning to change mine Ultimate cable from the wall to PSM156 to a better one. Who will be interested after a month, please PM.
Just FIY, not to mislead potential PSM156 customers. In this my case was cables talk, new power, and wall outlet burning in process. Now everything settled down.

Oct 9, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #518 of 1,021
So I had the Classic Plus power cable plugged in for almost week now. It sounds much more similar to the original Classic than it does the Ultimate. The Plus has that really natural and pleasant tone of the original classic but with a touch more mid range clarity and focus. The Plus seems to merit the $50.00 increase from the original classic. It's not night and day from the original. It's pretty close to the original in my opinion. It doesn't sound anything like the ultimate, and that may not be a bad thing. If you only have solid state(non class A etc) and linear components, an ultimate cable may tilt it too much in one direction. I prefer two ultimate cables and one Classic Plus in my power chain.

The only thing visually differentiating it is the visible shrink band with Classic plus written on it instead of classic. The plugs, sheathing, and thickness of the cable is all identical to the original classic from the naked eye.

Oct 9, 2023 at 4:13 AM Post #519 of 1,021
The only thing visually differentiating it is the visible shrink band with Classic plus written on it instead of classic. The plugs, sheathing, and thickness of the cable is all identical to the original classic from the naked eye.
According to my UK dealer (who also supplies the SE upgrades with Furutech plugs and sockets), the Classic Plus is a exactly the Classic with the addition of an EMI screen from the Ultimate. Which in his opinion is well worth the small extra cost and makes the Plus the sweet spot of the three in terms of bang for buck.

I compared a Classic Plus SE vs stock Classic for my PS106DC, and the SE was clearly better, although the difference was incremental, rather than amazing, in my fairly modest A/V system. I didn't have a stock Plus for this comparison, so wasn't able to say how much the SE contributed vs the Plus, but previous tests on various power cords have confirmed to me that quality of the connectors (and fuses) do matter. It's an easy DIY upgrade for the Classic and Plus - I haven't seen the inside of an Ultimate to comment on whether that would also be easy to DIY swap connectors.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #521 of 1,021
I have heard the Niagara but directly compared but audioquest wasn’t particularly impressive. The psm156 is nothing short of extraordinary and outperformed our shunyata kit that cost 5, 6 times the amount. If you contact puritan directly I’m sure they’ll be able to sort you out with demo. That said I don’t think you’d be disappointed if you bought it blind, it’s one of the few genuine bargains in hifi that I’ve come across.:)
Which model shunyata did you compare ?

Oct 16, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #522 of 1,021
I just want to say I used the psm156 and ultimate power cord on my 2 channel system with ns5000, cj lp70s, cj et5, denafrips terminator and it was a jaw dropping experience. I got more clarity, low level detail, dynamics and timbral realism. For a long time I noticed expensive preamps (ref 5 se, allnic l3000v2, cj et5) didn't sound as good as my. budget diy tube pre bottlehead moreplay. Now my new et5 sounds far far superior! It's like it's real performance was unlocked.

I guess I'm going to have to save up for one if not 2 (for my head fi system).

Oct 16, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #523 of 1,021
I just want to say I used the psm156 and ultimate power cord on my 2 channel system with ns5000, cj lp70s, cj et5, denafrips terminator and it was a jaw dropping experience. I got more clarity, low level detail, dynamics and timbral realism. For a long time I noticed expensive preamps (ref 5 se, allnic l3000v2, cj et5) didn't sound as good as my. budget diy tube pre bottlehead moreplay. Now my new et5 sounds far far superior! It's like it's real performance was unlocked.

I guess I'm going to have to save up for one if not 2 (for my head fi system).
Really curious if you’ve had a chance to test your Pass X350.8 plugged into the Puritan? If so, how’d that go?

Oct 16, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #524 of 1,021
Really curious if you’ve had a chance to test your Pass X350.8 plugged into the Puritan? If so, how’d that go?

Sadly no. I had a lot of missed opportunities. I had no idea this thing would have such a huge impact and figured the waudio brick that I had was good enough.

Oct 21, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #525 of 1,021

I'm interested...
Do you use the groundmaster to ground the PSM156?
Is the PSM connected to a wall outlet or power strip?
The groundmaster then into a second wall outlet or same strip as the PSM?

Or is the GM for grounding the RM?

Isn't it advised to use 2 GM ? One for their strips/psm's one for the RM?
THANKS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back