Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM136, PSM156, PSM1512 Power Conditioners
Mar 28, 2024 at 7:46 AM Post #931 of 972
If ordering direct from Puritan, it’s also possible to stipulate which type of termination you need if it’s not standard c13

I have an ultimate c19 and figure of 8 (c7) which were ordered on request.

Mar 28, 2024 at 10:09 AM Post #933 of 972
The mains cable into the Puritans is terminated with a C19, 20amp IEC (not sure why). Pretty easy to stick a c19 onto any decent gauge cable and you’re good to go. I did the opposite when I replaced the mains cable with an Audio Envy Mega. Cap will terminate them with a C19, and then I took the classic and put a standard 15a plug on it.
How much of a step up was the Mega from the Classic, out of curiosity?
I love AE and have been thinking of trying one myself.

Mar 29, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #935 of 972
Just in case I will ask this - the Schuko EU version has marked the red dot in each plug of the PSM156. This shall determine the "live pin" position.
But as I was trying to figure out which one is live, the EU standard says there are anyway both pins connected inside, so it does not matter in which way I will plug in the cables.

Do I need to pay attention to which way to plug the power cables into PSM156 - does the red dot have any practical meaning?
Thanks.

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:34 PM Post #936 of 972
AWESOME! Now that’s some feedback indeed. 😊 Welcome to the club.
I just received my Puritan PSM156 Power conditioner with upgraded 'ultimate power cable'. Listening is believing' - With the introduction of Puritan 156 into my HIFI system , I couldn't quite believe I was hearing the difference in SQ. Midrange is magical, Bass is deeper, there is a difference in the gain and vocals is crisp. The company seems so modest that they only claim to purify the dirty power. I seriously did not expect this level of change on my system. I even read that guys using Audioquest Niagara 5000 love the Puritan . The price is almost 1/3 of Audio quest Niagara 5000. Absolutely worth every ounce of the weight in terms of price . Around $3000 CAD includes upgraded power cable and shipping to my door step.
I am in the process of upgrading my Linn Klimax DSM to Organik DAC and power supply, it was by chance I came across Oxfordshire manufactured Puritan. I just wanted to try it, it is a keeper.

Apr 11, 2024 at 5:36 AM Post #937 of 972
I would like to sharing my experience with those who appreciate the benifits of the crisper, more focused, cleaner sound of the PSM156 but do who hear to much brightness/sharpness'loss of solidity and prefer a darker presentation. All of this is based on my experimentation. Each person will be different.

1. Do NOT put analogue equipment on the PSM156, only digital. I find the tonality noticably darker and more solid and pleasing to my ear.
2. In my experience- the main cause of unwanted brightness to those who hear it is the Ultra mains lead cable. The Ultra Cables from the PSM156 to the equipment does not cause sharpness or loss of solidity IMHO and only increases clarity. I use the Nimak X-50 power cable from the wall to the PSM1512. This provides a darker more solid, rounder presentation. Perhaps the Puritain Classic may be another option but I have not heard it. Honestly, a Ali Express 100% OCC copper 6n or 7n shielded cable may do the trick as well.

There obviously may be 1000 other options, but for me- and I use both of these- it works. I gain enormous clarity, transparency, crispness, but keep things tonally meatier, more solid, more round.

For those who do not experience the "over-brightness issue" please disregard these suggestions as they do not apply to you...

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 6:49 AM Post #938 of 972
1. Do NOT put analogue equipment on the PSM156, only digital.
I understand the reasoning behind but I could not justife the cost of PSM156 if only I would plug in the DAC. I have then preamplifier, power amplifier and headphone amplifier and I have all plugged into PSM156 and that's the way I will keep it. My source is iPad/iPhone and those I don't need to plug anywhere, though I might try to put it on charger and plug into PSM156 too :).

Maybe I'm lucky I didn't opt for the ultimate cable, classic does all I need for me so far.

Apr 11, 2024 at 7:17 AM Post #939 of 972
I understand the reasoning behind but I could not justife the cost of PSM156 if only I would plug in the DAC. I have then preamplifier, power amplifier and headphone amplifier and I have all plugged into PSM156 and that's the way I will keep it. My source is iPad/iPhone and those I don't need to plug anywhere, though I might try to put it on charger and plug into PSM156 too :).

Maybe I'm lucky I didn't opt for the ultimate cable, classic does all I need for me so far.
If you like the way it sounds- keep it as is. I was addressing those that hold things get to sharp or bright.... Just trying to help out based on my own experimentation.

Apr 11, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #940 of 972
I would like to sharing my experience with those who appreciate the benifits of the crisper, more focused, cleaner sound of the PSM156 but do who hear to much brightness/sharpness'loss of solidity and prefer a darker presentation. All of this is based on my experimentation. Each person will be different.

1. Do NOT put analogue equipment on the PSM156, only digital. I find the tonality noticably darker and more solid and pleasing to my ear.
2. In my experience- the main cause of unwanted brightness to those who hear it is the Ultra mains lead cable. The Ultra Cables from the PSM156 to the equipment does not cause sharpness or loss of solidity IMHO and only increases clarity. I use the Nimak X-50 power cable from the wall to the PSM1512. This provides a darker more solid, rounder presentation. Perhaps the Puritain Classic may be another option but I have not heard it. Honestly, a Ali Express 100% OCC copper 6n or 7n shielded cable may do the trick as well.

There obviously may be 1000 other options, but for me- and I use both of these- it works. I gain enormous clarity, transparency, crispness, but keep things tonally meatier, more solid, more round.

For those who do not experience the "over-brightness issue" please disregard these suggestions as they do not apply to you...

Thank you for this advice. It is much appreciated. I've been off following the original advice of taking a break and my ears are opening up after a non-trivial amount of closing from "forced" critical listening. I was definitely "scrunching" my ears as one would with their eyes to see fine print. And that is the opposite of letting the sound wash over me. So I needed a reset.

I will experiment with this when I get my LPS from JCAT in a couple of weeks when I go for my final decisions.

That being said, in the meantime, I followed @phoneslave86 's advice and got some entirely copper-based cables and I'm really blown away by them in my system. I think my system as I have it set up is leaning too neutral otherwise and I just love the copper sound. Like it's just mesmerizing to me. From what I'm thinking now, other people can essentially get the improved clarity from these cables and the rest of their system can carry the tradeoff if it's leaning really strongly in their sound preference and the outcome of that might just be amazing, but mine essentially has been slowly getting away from me as I've upgraded components, so, while it been getting "technically better" I think I was starting to lack magic and focus on my preference of sound. So I think I hit a balance point where I couldn't afford to use more ultimate cables. I needed them to not be neutral / slightly bright and open. I needed them to take me further towards copper romance and so I've landed on OFC copper.

That being said, for those reading. I have been LOVING the PSM 156. It's been incredible and I think @rsbrsvp has done a really great job outlining the slight tradeoff you get with it. I would say it's overwhelmingly worth it. But something to consider in your overall balance.

FWIW I had the Niagra 1200 before (not the 5000) and I hated it. Truly the worst thing I've put in my system for my preferences. Like the clarity was amazing, but it added this chilling affect over everything and made it more a "look at the instrument", and less a "feel the whole presentation and be entranced". The PSM 156 does not do this. It supports a warmer build which is overwhelmingly my preference so I'm thankful for it's added SQ.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I'm humbled by the experience on this forum. As my sanity has been returning to me, I'm just thankful for everyone sharing their experiences and helping me piece together this picture. I've needed it and I've learned so much.

:pray:

Apr 11, 2024 at 7:45 PM Post #942 of 972

Wouldn't worry too much if you need to plug amp into PSM it's really good too. No doubt it can always be argued it's best to plug a tube amp onto its own separate plug. I probably prefer it myself that way if I had to pick one so far. I enjoy swapping my amp from its own dedicated line and PSM every day or three and don't see that changing anytime soon. I did it for months that way before. Both options is quite nice and quite different in some ways.

In the PSM1512 I get:

-Sweeter, more musical
-Denser, more sculpted imaging, often trippier level, just dang this is some extra level imaging in the PSM vs the line with my tube amp that is noticeable
-Even darker blackground and more revealing, wow that tube amp gets this revealing
-Really good bass, can easily feel the 20A line going straight through the PSM vs 15A circuit, that is after a UPS

On the Dedicated 20A line I get:

-Likely even a bit better bass quantity and more mid-bass, both ways is best sub-bass I've ever seen.
-Cloudlike, soft spread out imaging and soundstage, very lovely
-Closer to neutral timbre
-Easier to tune to a relaxing place, this is a big thing for me for all day listening. Always bonus points for that
-Less revealing of flaws in recordings or 'digital' sounding by nature

I have somewhat of a preference to the straight line. It's a bit closer to the timbre I want as I'm still shooting for my system to be a bit closer to neutral, it's pretty much there like this. It's a bit easier to manage as it is darker/less revealing. I could easily live with either way permanently it's so good and would have no complaints. I really enjoy how it's different in the PSM and I love to roll pads, tubes, cables every day along with DACs/Amps and I forsee swapping it back and forth depending on the mood for a long time to come. The PSM is good enough to make me grin when I take it off of the dedicated line knowing what it's going to do in the PSM. How does a tube amp get this revealing? PSM is the answer to that. It's dang deep in there. PSM is 15 EMI vs 60-450 on the dedicated line. The tiniest whispers are revealed in the back of recordings and the PSM really helps reveal that and I enjoy that very much. Either way it's great so far, really is some trade offs that keep me swapping back and forth no doubt.

Apr 11, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #943 of 972
There are so so many factors that effect final sound. Fuses, interconnects, headphone cable, antivibration feet, network switches, and perhaps most of all- the transport.

I agree with a comment above that the PSM156 can be made to sound brighter or darker. I think it's natural tendancy is clarity which is brighter- but with proper equipment and cables and adjustments- it can got clearer but meatier. This is a trickier pathway- but it is very doable IMHO.

Detail, seperation, attack, and transient snap are many levels up with the PSM and the question is for each person to decide if they want the full blown naked unhinderd result of this reality or want to tame it to ones tastes. I cant believe anyone listens to headphones for unadultured monitor sound. We all want some color, some meat on the bone as it is just more pleasant- and so the question is just how to tune things to get it there.

Puritain 101 basic rule: Use all puritain ultra cables if you want the absolute naked truth, and try some occ copper power cables if you want to tame things a bit. 1000 other options, but this is a simple and good start and less expensive than replacing dacs, amps, headphones, etc. Ali Express has 99.999% OCC shielded copper cables 8-10awg, with carbon fiber terminations for $50-$100 a piece.

This is a lot of fun...

Apr 12, 2024 at 5:33 AM Post #944 of 972
What I respect about Puritan a lot is how they do not have crazy pricing seen in many other companies. They deserve all the recognition they get. The owner of Puritan also seems like a great guy in general.

Apr 12, 2024 at 6:35 AM Post #945 of 972
Puritain 101 basic rule: Use all puritain ultra cables if you want the absolute naked truth, and try some occ copper power cables if you want to tame things a bit. 1000 other options, but this is a simple and good start and less expensive than replacing dacs, amps, headphones, etc. Ali Express has 99.999% OCC shielded copper cables 8-10awg, with carbon fiber terminations for $50-$100 a piece.
Recently I came to similar conclusion. Without PSM156 I didn't really care about speaker cables (Atohm ZEF, they are in general described as quite good in the price range). But now since I have PSM156, I everyday look at those cables and I'm strongly considering some UP-OCC copper cables. Something like Neotech Nemos-3080 or maybe even Nes-3001, or alternatively RAMM Amadeus 5 MK2. Those are the three I'm deciding between now.

Now as you wrote, there are another alternative on Aliexpress, just wondering if those are serious competitors to those three mentioned. I never gave enough credit to things on Aliexpress, but maybe that's not entirely right approach.

It's crazy what PSM156 will force you to think about.. I even removed the old bananas connectors from the speaker cables, cut a bit the ends and connected as bare cables just to see if there will be any improvement. With PSM156 in, I tend to hear every single nuance or change in the system. I know oxidation is a concern, but I think oxidation will be always there, even with spades or bananas installed over time. And I didn't change anything on the speaker cables last 10 years :), so I think they will survive till I will figure out which speaker cables I will buy eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back