Pure i20 dock question
Apr 11, 2015 at 1:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hodgjy

Headphoneus Supremus
I have the Pure i20 dock, which I've been using for a couple of years with happy results. For some reason, I decided to read the manual the other day. Maybe boredom got the best of me.

Anyway, the manual said that the optical out was the preferred connection over coaxial, but it didn't say why. Knowing what I know about digital connections, it seems the consensus is coaxial is preferred over optical.

I emailed the manufacturer, but I'm not expecting a response.

Does anyone know why the optical is preferred over coaxial on the Pure i20 dock? Maybe there's something to it because in many pictures here and personal accounts, it seems like more people use the optical over coaxial when it comes to this particular device. I've tried both and can't tell a difference beyond placebo.

Apr 16, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks. That is a good thought, and could be the reason. Optical doesn't maintain an electrical connection between components. 

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 5
I did get a response, so that's pretty cool. Great customer service.

Hi, Thanks for your email,
Optical is a recommended method of digital audio transfer for the reason that it is not susceptible to EMF interference as the coaxial cables are. While the coaxial cables are shielded against this, in extreme circumstances the interference can still break through and cause disruption on the audio. 

The reservations people have on optical is that other problems can occur such as a poor quality cable will cause artefacts on the audio such as blips, gaps or FM like static in the background. In other cases bending the cable aggressively will break it causing a seemingly un-obvious incompatibility. 

There are definitely pros and cons to both methods! 

I hope this info helps. 

Best regards 
Dan 
Pure Customer Support 
http://support-uk.pure.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back