punkaroo's first review: Devilsound vs. Pico DAC!
Dec 19, 2009 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

punkaroo

500+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone
biggrin.gif

I was asked to post a review comparing my slighty older Devilsound NOS DAC to my brand spankin' new Pico DAC. Remember, the Devilsound I used is *NOT* the latest version 2.1.

I don't consider myself an audiophile; I'm still a newbie at this craft, but a zealous newbie at that! During this comparison, I had the sound glossary opened in my browser, and I've done my hardest to accurately describe both DACs using said audiophile terminology. I hope I have done so correctly and in the truest manner possible
smily_headphones1.gif

First things first:

Gear:

Source: PowerMac G4, Apple Lossless encoded files
Amp: Millet Hybrid, using Tung Sol 12FM6 tubes
Cans: Grado HF-2s

Tracks used:

Morrissey, "Life is a Pigsty"

This is a really cool track, as it's very atmospheric, and has some killer sound effects: rain and thunder, how fitting!

Morrissey, "Dear God Please Help Me"

Amazing string section!

k.d. lang, "Just Keep Me Moving"

Funky, disco-like song; great bass line, wah-wah guitar, even some cowbell!

k.d. lang, "Save Me"

Smoky torch/jazz number

Lauryn Hill, "Doo Wop (That Thing)"

Amazing production on this entire album; lively bass, fun horns, amazing vocals

Massive Attack, "Antistar"

Multi-layered track, great string section

Devilsound DAC:

First off, let me say that this is a coloured DAC; however coloured, it still has an amazing way of retaining transparency. It is also airy and spacious. This is especially true during the bridge of most songs, where vocals and instruments all mesh together: I could still make out the funky bass, cowbell, and wah-wah guitar on Lang's "Just Keep Me Moving"; "Doo Wop" has an amazing bridge where male and female vocals come together beautifully with strings. The Devilsound has outstanding bass that is never muddy; it is warm, but still retains very good detail; it isn't detailed in a fatiguing manner whatsoever. It is sweet and smooth.

The Devilsound is full and juicy; this is a FUN dac; it really gets your feet tapping! It is very resolving, and has an amazing soundstage.

The airy-ness and soundstage of the Devilsound is especially present during "Life is a Pigsty" and "Dear God Please Help Me", both haunting, atmospheric songs.

During Lang's "Save Me", which has quite a bit of acoustic and slide guitar, the Devilsound really brings them out; the slide guitar is alive and sweet.

"Doo Wop" is a fun song, where the speed and 'snap' of the Devilsound really shine; my feet were tapping right along! Awesome bass slam, creamy vocals.

"Anti-star" is a complete diversion from the rest, as it's mostly electronically created, and is a seriously multi-layered track; but the transparency is still there; detail is present but easy on the ears. The string section with the Devilsound is just stunning!

Now you might think I've only got good things to say about the Devilsound, and you'd be 99.9% correct: my only complaint? Vocals on the Devilsound are very slightly recessed. Otherwise, this DAC is a real joy to listen to in my system!

Now, on to the Pico.

Surprisingly, these two DACs are not that different. But I will definitely explain myself.

The Pico is definitely a slightly more neutral DAC; it still has some warmth to it, and has great bass, but it isn't as warm as the Devilsound. Where the Pico really shines is in the low-level detail.

I've been amazed from day one at the things I've heard thanks to the Pico; it's incredibly resolving and transparent.

During "Life is a Pigsty", I felt that the sound of rain, cymbals crashing, acoustic guitar was more prominent and powerful on the Pico. Far better detail in these instruments. I'm amazed!

On "Dear God Please Help Me", I could hear the guitarist pressing his fingers on the fretboard. Detail freaks, hear me out: the Pico is OUTSTANDING at low-level detail! But I also want to stress that none of the detail is harsh; it retains detail without being piercing. This little thing is smooth and tight in all aspects. I also found that while vocals were very slightly recessed on the Devilsound, the Pico brought them forward just a bit. Perfect!

The Pico bested the Devilsound on "Just Keep Me Moving"; just when I thought this song couldn't get more funky and lively, the Pico surprised me: the bass is slammingly good; the wah-wah guitar even more WAH-WAH than before. Very transparent, very fun!

The detail in the acoustic and slide guitars on "Save Me" was brought forward even more by the Pico. Lang's vocals are creamy and smooth and jaw-dropping. It's k.d. freaking-lang for God's sake! The Pico loves her
biggrin.gif

The Pico was awesome on "Doo Wop"; much like the Devilsound, it has very good speed, snap and transparency. Awesome bass slam and clarity.

The detail on "Antistar" was perhaps a little too harsh on the Pico; it was analytical in the highs which made it a tad annoying. However, the Pico still makes up for it by being highly transparent and having a full lush sound in the strings in this track.

Ok, so what didn't I like about the Pico? The soundstage. While it's still good, it's isn't as wide as the Devilsound.

I was surprised to find that while these two DACs are different, they are also very similar. Which is even more surprising considering the Pico is an upsampling DAC while the Devilsound is a Non-OverSampling DAC. Heck, I don't fully understand the technology behind either term, no matter how much reading I've done!

I'm very, very happy with both DACs. They both have excellent strengths, and frankly, very few weaknesses. You'll have to pry them from my cold, dead hands. BUAHAHAHA!

Hope you had fun reading my review!

Dec 19, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #2 of 6
Thanks for the excellent first review! Will you be keeping both?

I tried a Devilsound briefly at RMAF and was not too impressed - it was nice and warm and tonally pretty rich, but it didn't seem to have the soundstage and transparency of other DACs I had heard (which were, to be fair, generally more expensive). But I also don't know that it was fully burned in.

I've never actually heard a Pico, but would love to have a listen at some point given all the praise it gets around these parts, especially at its price point and with its form factor.

Well-done punkaroo!

Dec 19, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #3 of 6
Thank you!
biggrin.gif

I'm absolutely keeping both; I like using the Devilsound with my Rotel integrated amp and Paradigm speakers; I've mostly been using the Pico as a DAC with my Millet for listening with my Grados
smily_headphones1.gif

Grokit posted a review of his early listening impressions of the Devilsound, and he also was not impressed with it out of the box. It really shines once it's been broken in.

Sep 13, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #6 of 6
Great review!

I wonder, besides the cryogenic treatment, what's the difference in the circuit between the 2.0 and 2.1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back