Pulled the trigger on SinglePower PPX3
Nov 13, 2003 at 5:34 PM Post #46 of 72
Quote:

Originally posted by Sean H
Are any of these impressions formed with a pair of HD600's by chance? I see you once owned them in the past. I'm more curious as to how this amp does with the Senn's (600/650).

Is somebody's Dinky Knob getting a little nervous?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sean-
I only listened to it with the CD3ks, R-10s and some high end Grados...and it sounded lush with all of them..its a very warm sound.

John

Nov 13, 2003 at 5:40 PM Post #47 of 72
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
BTW John, how it will compare to the Perreaux, just a quick one....

Meet impression was warmer and more detailed with more authority..but this was running off a really nice Sony source....I only ran my Perreaux off of the Pioneer 563A

John

Nov 14, 2003 at 12:45 AM Post #48 of 72
Congrats you guys. The new chassis on the Singlepower amps is a real winner IMHO!!

Nov 14, 2003 at 8:17 AM Post #49 of 72
Congrats on the amp John. Don't hesitate to tell me anything about switching to tube life. I only have experience living with SS and have daydreamed about tubes for a while. My only concern is lifestyle changes it may bring, like thinking about warming up the system before listening and things like that.

Nov 14, 2003 at 2:15 PM Post #50 of 72
Quote:

Originally posted by Sentral Dogma
Congrats on the amp John. Don't hesitate to tell me anything about switching to tube life. I only have experience living with SS and have daydreamed about tubes for a while. My only concern is lifestyle changes it may bring, like thinking about warming up the system before listening and things like that.

Will do! When I had the nOhr SE9 with the K1000 setup here...that was the only thing I did not like about the tube setup...but I will learn to be patient...I do love the sound of tubes.

John

Nov 15, 2003 at 3:06 AM Post #51 of 72
John/Phil,

To both of you, congrats on your purchase of the PPX3. I own both the CPX3 and the MPX3, and the PPX3 that I heard at the NY meet sounds closer to the CPX3 than it does to the MPX3. The MPX3 does a better job at controlling the low end and it's a bit more extended in the treble, but the CPX/PPX3 are sweet, musical amps.

John--make sure you keep this one, please.
tongue.gif

Jan 1, 2004 at 5:49 AM Post #52 of 72
and yup Frank...it's a keeper. Its too beautiful looking and sounding to let it out of my hands.

I picked it up from the PO this afternoon, Mikhail had it packed perfectly. Arrives safe and sound and he included not one..but TWO sets of tubes for it....some electro-harmonix 6CG7s that I have in it and a set of RCA 6CG7s.

I listed a bit with it next to my easy chair and my portable DVD player..then moved it into the main rig so I could hear SACD as well. Even with my old Senn 540s, the amp is glorious sounding. Lush, detailed and punchy.

If the lame service center at SONY ever gets my CD3Ks fixed, I will be able to give it more of a proper review.

Been listening since 7pm tonight and it now 1245...Happy New Year!

Darn, this thing sure is purty!

pur1.jpg

pur2.jpg

John

Jan 1, 2004 at 5:55 AM Post #53 of 72
Quote:

Originally posted by JMedeiros
to let it out of my hands.

Hopefully 2004 won't be like 2003's release and reacquisition of gear
tongue.gif

Jan 1, 2004 at 6:10 AM Post #54 of 72
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
Hopefully 2004 won't be like 2003's release and reacquisition of gear
tongue.gif

Actually, I am considering moving back to Maine this summer or Fall after 20 years in NYC and there will be a major moving sale purge at some point this year....mostly Home Theater Gear but tons of other stuff...the Dolby Headphone systems will be going with me....and guess what Ian...it's gonna be a local sale my NYC neighbor
smily_headphones1.gif

John

Jan 1, 2004 at 6:20 AM Post #55 of 72
sale? did someone mention sale? dibs on the PPX3! kidding. i really don't need to get more stuff. sorry to see you leave the area. eventhough I grew up here, there's something about it which doesn't fit "me". i may also move out at some point in time.

Jan 1, 2004 at 9:00 AM Post #56 of 72
Quote:

eventhough I grew up here, there's something about it which doesn't fit "me". i may also move out at some point in time.

It's called traffic and constant construction, and a lousy mayor who thinks he can fix a budget with layoffs and raising taxes.

As a 2X's owner of Mikhail's amps, I am truly happy for anyone who takes the plunge. He is a fine electrical architect, and a real gentleman to boot (although I wouldn't actually boot him).

Happy New Year, and here's to lower interest rates (so we can buy more stuff), and cleaner electricity.

Jan 1, 2004 at 9:22 AM Post #57 of 72
Wow, that thing is pretty. Must resist the temptation of tubes....for now.

Jan 1, 2004 at 11:21 AM Post #58 of 72
John, congrats on the arrival of the new amp. Hope your CD3000's get back to you soon and you can spend many hours with it and the single power amp.

Jan 1, 2004 at 11:28 AM Post #59 of 72
John,

If you make only one New Year's resolution this year, here's what it should be:

I will not sell my PPX3.

Glad you're enjoying it.

Jan 1, 2004 at 2:09 PM Post #60 of 72
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
John,

If you make only one New Year's resolution this year, here's what it should be:

I will not sell my PPX3.

Glad you're enjoying it.

Frank-
That one is at the top of the list....loving this amp.
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back