PSU for Gilmore Lite or new Amp?
Feb 20, 2010 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jilgiljongiljing

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently got the Beyer DT990 600 ohms. Based on my past experience with high impedance cans with the Gilmore Lite, I know it isnt exactly the best match. I was wondering if adding the PSU to it helps this aspect. Or am I better off getting a new amp?

I havent looked at amps for a while and dont really have much of a take on whats what. But I HAVE to stick to SS amps, tubes are a no-no at my office. I'd like recommendations for an amp for the DT990 600 ohm with DacMagic which can justify the leap from Gilmore Lite prefereably in the 500-600$ range, or outer limit would be the new Meier Concerto for 750$.

Else if a PSU upgrade to the GL brings it up to par with the other contenders, if anyone knows who I can have build me one, PM me.

Feb 20, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 6
new amp

preferably tube

Feb 20, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by David.M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
new amp

preferably tube

What great logic you display there
rolleyes.gif

-

There's really no reason that the gilmore lite would be "wrong" it just won't pleasantly color the sound. The only reasonable objection is that Beyers are designed for an IEC headphone standard which specifies 120 Ohm output impedance, so you might want to try an impedance adapter or an amp that supports that output impedance (DNA's Sonnet, for instance, although it's both tubes and a bit out of your budget).

Feb 20, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

new amp

preferably tube

And this helps me how? I dont think I couldve made it any clearer that I cant get a tube amp, and there is no logic in your post or explanation or anything adressing my questions, why even bother dude?

Feb 21, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #6 of 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back