PSF, Are They Lossless or Nearly Lossless?
Oct 20, 2010 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kendric

100+ Head-Fier
Here are basic info and heads up about the PSF (Portable Sound Format) which are some sort of a supposedly Game Music Version of the FLAC Files, Except their filesize are minimized to even smaller. http://www.neillcorlett.com/psf/ And I always love to use PSF-Format's Game Music Such as the Classics like (Final Fantasy VIII~X) etc and their music arrangements to test out my IEM and Headphone's waters in purely the timbre and musicality and instrument handling/seperation aspect.

Oct 20, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 7
Well, it seems that "not applicable" is the answer. The format you listed is a "sequenced" format, sort of like midi's or mods. It isn't really compressed, and decoded at your end, it is simply the computer playing certain notes in a given order. It's an interesting idea using it for testing headphones.

Oct 21, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #3 of 7
Hehe yup i always have all the weird ideas, a peculiar brain i have xP

Oct 21, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #4 of 7
But i think mod is likely the answer, since it totally retain the sound and etc of the original music, I heard midi (synthesized ones) and hmm those are really a far cry from the PSFs lol xP

Oct 21, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #5 of 7
MIDI playback quality is depended on the quality of your synthesizer and soundfont you used. Soundfont quality varies greatly with some you have to pay thousands of dollars for (like a few ones that samples were created by real orchestra). Same for software synthesizer.
PSF is somewhat like midi just that you can say soundfont is included and the synthesizer is the only ones in the original PS1/2, software based ones like winamp and foobar plugins are just emulation software of these original synthesizers in PS1/2.
On to sound quality I say the PSF sounds nearly identical to the CD OST that you can buy else where, so if you're cheap you can use that.

Oct 21, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #6 of 7

MIDI playback quality is depended on the quality of your synthesizer and soundfont you used. Soundfont quality varies greatly with some you have to pay thousands of dollars for (like a few ones that samples were created by real orchestra). Same for software synthesizer.
PSF is somewhat like midi just that you can say soundfont is included and the synthesizer is the only ones in the original PS1/2, software based ones like winamp and foobar plugins are just emulation software of these original synthesizers in PS1/2.
On to sound quality I say the PSF sounds nearly identical to the CD OST that you can buy else where, so if you're cheap you can use that.

Haha yeap, sounding similar to the CD OST is the point ^_^ Not to mention that its not easy to get hold of their OST CDs in a small place like Singapore. Until I found a paradise that sells all the Game Ost CDs i need. I Shall stick to this dough-friendly resolution for now. And You make another good point, Those with no dough will find PSF a good bargain ^o^

Jan 15, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #7 of 7

thuantran said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for your sharing! It helps me out of the problem, It's quite useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back