PSB M4U-8 circuit failure?
Aug 22, 2022 at 11:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

bjurasz

New Head-Fier
I've had, and mostly loved, my PSB M4U-8 wireless headphones for just over 4 years. For the last several months I've been using them wired however, through a Dragonfly Red (so I can listen to Apple Lossless and Hi-Res offerings). Just lately however I've tried to use them wireless again. The headphones are draining new batteries in a matter of minutes now. I've tried two sets of rechargeable and 3 sets of alkaline. Same behavior.

I'm certain the answer is going to be "your headphones are toast and you can only use them passive now", but just to make sure, does any disagree before I go shopping for something new? Every once in a while I need to use headphones without a wire. Thanks.

Related I will be looking at Grado GW-100 v2. I love the open back sound, but for my listening I usually need to have minimal sound leakage. The v2 is supposed to be surprisingly good about leakage. Will also look at Sennheiser and B&W offerings.

Aug 22, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #2 of 3
One easy check is to make sure the battery terminals are clean and don't have any corrosion, resistive battery connections could cause shortened life.

Otherwise - tried contacting PSB Support? They may have solution or offer out of warranty repair services/parts for a fee. That or perhaps a local electronics repair place.

Depending on how "wireless" you need them to be, you could also look at bluetooth dongles. AFAIK there aren't a ton of wireless open back models so this could expand your options there too (for minimal sound leakage w/ open-back ish sound old school style earbuds can be good).

Aug 22, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #3 of 3
PSB isn't repairing headphones, was not aware of this issue, and suggested I buy another set. Oh well. There is a local shop repairing vintage gear and will ask them. But will take this opportunity to try some other offerings out just the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back