PSB Alpha B loudspeakers (Australia)
Aug 7, 2003 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tktran

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone in Australia audition the well-like PSB Alpha B speaker?

How much does it go for around here? What did you think? Is it suitable for _real_ bookshelf use? Or do they need stands?

I will be partnering it with either a 10wpc microhifi system (Panasonic SC-PM03( or an ordinary 40wpc amp (NAD C320)\

I don't want to spend too much, but would just like to get better speakers for my room (the SC-PM03 is already fantastic...but I'm getting an itch for an upgrade)

Aug 7, 2003 at 3:40 PM Post #2 of 9
I used to own the Alpha Bs. They're pretty good speakers for the price, but I'm not sure how much of an upgrade they'll be to your existing system. Keep in mind that the Alpha Bs are among the most entry level speakers in PSB's current lineup, so you might be moving more sideways rather than upgrading.

The Alpha Bs are definitely brighter than the old PSB Alpha A/Vs. The overall sound is somewhat on the forward side. They have a metal tweeter, and thus they can sound somewhat harsh with some amplifiers, but for the price it's actually pretty good. The bass is also fairly good, but you probably won't be completely satisfied without a subwoofer (you need some decent lows to balance out the forwardness of the upper mids and highs).

Because the Alpha Bs are rear-ported, you won't be able to use them in bookshelves. You'll need stands, or at least something that keeps them away from the walls. If you're thinking of getting speakers to put in bookshelves, consider one of the other PSB speakers that are front ported.

Aug 7, 2003 at 3:49 PM Post #3 of 9
I think the best thing would be to take your minisystem with you and audition bookshelf speakers. I was planning on going down the same road - buying a minisystem and upgrading the speakers.

What I found was that with the Onkyo CS35Tech, Boston Acoustics bookshelf speakers (can't recall the model) sounded better ("fuller", more balanced) than PSB Alphas or Image 1/2Bs which came across as bright and thin. Surprisingly, when driven by an NAD C740 receiver and C541i source, the exact opposite was true, and in fact, the Boston Acoustics sounded awful - cheap and nasty and hollow.

There are probably 101 different things going on there, differences in sensitivty, component/speaker matching etc etc etc. All I can say is that at the end of the day, your ears will know what works and what doesn't
wink.gif
I am not sure about the Alpha B [Edit: Above post indicates Alphas are rear ported], but the good thing about the PSB Image series is that they are front ported which will make using them in a bookshelf a lot less problematic. For what it is worth, my Image 2Bs are on 24" stands, but in the store, I audtioned them sitting on shelves amd they sounded great.

As for PSB speakers in Australia - I don't recall ever seeing them in Melbourne. Maybe check their webpage and look for an Australian distributor. You should be able to find comparable speakers from other manufacturers. One that springs to mind is Mission which I have seen bundled with a Denon minisystem. I think the model number was M71 or something like that.

Good luck!

Aug 9, 2003 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 9
I have them on my desk with nearly enough clearance in the back, paired with a subwoofer. I prefered them over some comparably priced bookshelfs like the paradigm mini-monitor, plus i got a great price from the local dealer
wink.gif
. Give em a listen at least if you can.

Aug 9, 2003 at 1:29 AM Post #5 of 9
Dont go for missions...the low end ones are horrid.

What price are you aiming at?

Aug 10, 2003 at 9:44 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by becomethemould
psb is distributed in qld by harvey norman and jb hi-fi

How bizzare!

Aug 11, 2003 at 5:15 AM Post #9 of 9
There's not a big price difference in Aussie bookshelfs. They all come in at around $700. You could pretty much choose between every entry-level bookshelf on all the bigger manufacturers (Tannoy, KEF, NHT etc)

The big savings are to be had on floorstanding models. The cost saving is in the cabinetry- we have plenty of MDF and nice veneer options here in Oz- there are huge costs involved in importing huge speakers over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back