PS1000 Impressions Thread
Dec 22, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #46 of 3,605

Quote:
Quote:
... But honestly I LOVED my T1s and HD800s and thought, no way the LCD-2s are better...turns out I was wrong...really wrong. Sorry your wallet had to hear that.
evil_smiley.gif
Unlike the HE-6s, you won't need a good speaker amp to drive them.

Looks like your wallet got a lot more hurt than mine. 
rolleyes.gif
 I got my PS1000 used (any Grado over SR225 is a rip-off) and have gotten a lot of use of out them!

Yeah..not a good year for the wallet...but my ears were happy. This place is sinister if you asked me.

Dec 22, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #47 of 3,605

Quote:
This place is sinister if you asked me.

Yes it is. 
beerchug.gif
 But to put things in perspective: this is not nearly as bad as "big-boy" Hi-Fi. Head-fi is peanuts in comparison. 

Years ago, I spent well over $13K on a Linn system only to find out I could do better with an el-cheapo modified DCX2496, Crest CA series professional amps, and DIY speakers with drivers purchased from Madisound (throw in a CLIO speaker measuring system) for $3500.

Dec 22, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #48 of 3,605

Quote:
Quote:  Originally Posted by purrin

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif

On another front, has anyone noticed that the PS1000 doesn't handle poorly mastered material that well? 

Quote:
cause they are detail freaks 
wink_face.gif

Well, I find this generally true as one moves up the line with any brand. 

I'm not 100% sure that this has been my experience. For instance, I find the HD 800 and the Edition 8 handle all recordings fairly well, but the PS1000 I'm not sure can make that claim. On the detail side, I think the most detailed I have heard is still the K 702 by a hair, and that one also can handle poor recordings okay. I need to do some more listening experiments to verify these very brief and off the cuff impressions, but I'm feeling lazy too, and I just want to listen to the PS1000.
smile.gif

Respectfully, I disagree.  If you go onto the HD800 threads, you'll find similar complaints regarding the HD800's merciless discovery of the weak link in the system - whether it's the wiring, the amp or the source recording.  The better the headphone, the greater reward when a track is well-mastered and the harder the fall when it's not.  

Dec 24, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #51 of 3,605
Back to our regularly scheduled programming. I'm curious about this amp (Apex Peak) with the PS1000s: 
http://www.ttvjaudio.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=380

I particularly like that it's a hybrid (seems similar in some ways but much improved to the Melos) and that only uses one tube (tube rolling won't cost so much.)

Dec 24, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #52 of 3,605
Good solid state or a hybrid is a proper idea for big Grado's. The best tube I have heard with PS1000 or GS1000 was the Cary SLI-80 but there is still a quite large room of improvement to be heard for instance from Accuphase C-2800, C-3800 which are solid state preamplifiers and show that the tubes aren't the best way to go.

Dec 24, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #54 of 3,605

Quote:
Good solid state or a hybrid is a proper idea for big Grado's. 

I agree with this. The big Grados need vice like grip of the bass and extension of the highest octave (the highs you can barely hear). This has been the only thing keeping me from picking up, say a WA6SE. Even the Melos' MOSFET output really isn't exactly up to the task, though it is sufficiently decent. Supposedly the Apex Peak addresses these issues so I'm thinking I'll take up Todd on his 30 day money back offer. It's pricey, but I don't see anything quite like it at that level.

Dec 24, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #55 of 3,605
Whoa! What happened to the colorful interchange between MH and the other guy with two accounts?  (not that I'm complaining 
smile.gif
)

Dec 25, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #56 of 3,605

Quote:
Quote:
Good solid state or a hybrid is a proper idea for big Grado's. 

I agree with this. The big Grados need vice like grip of the bass and extension of the highest octave (the highs you can barely hear). This has been the only thing keeping me from picking up, say a WA6SE. Even the Melos' MOSFET output really isn't exactly up to the task, though it is sufficiently decent. Supposedly the Apex Peak addresses these issues so I'm thinking I'll take up Todd on his 30 day money back offer. It's pricey, but I don't see anything quite like it at that level.

Good idea! From my three year long experiments I can tell you that the best way to drive Grad GS1000 and above is low output impedance and power reserve about 1.5W or more, otherwise you'll get uncontrolled bass and lost microdetails when the first condition isn't met, or will hear clipping on bassy tracks played loud when lacking power.

Quote:
Whoa! What happened to the colorful interchange between MH and the other guy with two accounts?  (not that I'm complaining 
smile.gif
)

Don't wake the monster...

Dec 25, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #57 of 3,605

Quote:
smile.gif
)

The monster has awoken. 
smile.gif
 In answer to your query, the moderator on duty deleted the entire exchange between MacedonianHero and myself. This also included the post that triggered the disagreement, which was made in jest and meant for Bilavideo.

For the record, MacedonianHero repeatedly suggested that I had posted in this thread under another id despite my denials. I invited him to check with the moderators if he didn't believe me. Apparently he did so and is now satisfied that it was not me. He has apologised to me privately for his error. 

As I said in my earlier posts (that no longer exist), I have no wish to derail this thread because I am genuinely interested in the PS1000 and the impressions of those who have heard it. So carry on PS1000 aficionados! 

Dec 25, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #58 of 3,605

is it really that good the headphone out from accuphase preamp..? how bout their integrated like e560 have you tried the headphone out majkel ?
Quote:
Good solid state or a hybrid is a proper idea for big Grado's. The best tube I have heard with PS1000 or GS1000 was the Cary SLI-80 but there is still a quite large room of improvement to be heard for instance from Accuphase C-2800, C-3800 which are solid state preamplifiers and show that the tubes aren't the best way to go.

Dec 25, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #59 of 3,605
The integrated from Accuphase are well below the preamp quality level offered in C-2800 or C-3800 headphone outs. My friend owning the C-2800 while having the Sony R10, sold the Ear Yoshino HP-4 and the Earmax Anniversary saying the Accu was better. For me it's obviously better than for instance Leben CS300XS. Actually better and more realistic sounding.

Jan 7, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #60 of 3,605
The headphone out of Accuphase Pre you listed - do they match well with other phones as well or just happen to have synergy with PS1000 ...

Thanks
PS: Wonder how will they sound with lyr (to be released) that has 6 watts of max output ...

Quote:
The integrated from Accuphase are well below the preamp quality level offered in C-2800 or C-3800 headphone outs. My friend owning the C-2800 while having the Sony R10, sold the Ear Yoshino HP-4 and the Earmax Anniversary saying the Accu was better. For me it's obviously better than for instance Leben CS300XS. Actually better and more realistic sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back