Ps audio direct stream dsd DAC
Jul 10, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #136 of 265
I only have mine. But it has been around.
I think what you might if heard is something in that setup.
Unless it was defective all together. I use headphones as well. So any noise would be audible and there had been none.

I belong to the ps audio forums and some hear things.
I have a lampi B7 it too is dead quite. But I know someone who hears hum low but it is there. I also think good clean power that is grounded
Us a must. As I always have things on the same outlet strip
Al

Jul 10, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #137 of 265
Installed my kit last night.  Sounds very good so far. I need to update to the latest firmware, but everything seems to work fine.  I hear no hiss even through my 009's.

Jul 10, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #138 of 265
Good to know. You need the new firmware as it has some improvement in USB functions

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #140 of 265
http://www.psaudio.com/forum/directstream-all-about-it/new-firmware-released/

Long thread about it. Quick recap: should be sonic improvements but some like original firmware better.

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #141 of 265
yes it does change things sonically better by most accounts from owners . you have a very good choice . become part of the ps audio forums as well . you can get real answers faster . where here and other sites you may get answers from people who do not own one or listened for 5 mins at a show or event .
ps i like the original better but the new firmware does take care of some small bugs so its kinda a must do.

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #142 of 265
yes it does change things sonically better by most accounts from owners . you have a very good choice . become part of the ps audio forums as well . you can get real answers faster . where here and other sites you may get answers from people who do not own one or listened for 5 mins at a show or event .
ps i like the original better but the new firmware does take care of some small bugs so its kinda a must do.

The volume control alone is worth the new firmware. So slow before. Also less screen tearing somehow. 

As for the hissing, it seems to be a result of too much gain going to my speakers according to the ps audio forums. When I toggle the filter button the speakers put out a low level hiss that is audible but very quiet. I can hear it from 6 feet away when I used the toggle, and lowering/raising volume does not affect it. Easy enough to forget about but still kind of odd that it's a problem. Should be at 24 hours burn in by 4:30pm today, which is about when I'll have time to listen again!

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #144 of 265
Was watching war of the worlds when the front left speaker started making a fluttering noise during the scene when the ship rises up out of the ground. Right speaker sounded fine, but the left sounds like a bird trapped in a cage. Sigh. And the lightning sounded so awesome...

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #145 of 265
The chesky test disks have some incredibly creepy sounding recordings and tests on them. Can recommend.

Which test disks do you like? I love the binaural one for headphones. That amber rubarth disk while not a test one is also great for testing imaging as I believe headphones, no matter how good, never do that good a job imaging compared to speakers.

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #148 of 265
How efficient are your speakers blitzegene? It seems like there are hissing reportd from high efficient speakers..

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

I haven't heard of those reports. If true, then issue around noise floor which I haven't heard of. I have heard of couple of reports of strange noises during certain passages along the lines of what blixgene mentioned.

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #149 of 265
There was a professional review saying high noise within the DS DAC..

Google "Directstream Audioshark.org". Some info there and one of the members put it up for sale after 2 weeks bcuz of hissing problem..

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #150 of 265
Also, there were reports saying digital glare in high frequencies and not enough impact on bass.

Dont know if it improves with break in. Two members/owners from ps audio forum reported it didnt improve after 300 hours.. dont know if it improved after more burn in. They stopped posting..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back