PS Audio Digital Link III
May 22, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #512 of 558
I have the Stage I-V.  Paid $1100 a few years ago.  Still going strong and I love the sound, BUT it's time for me to get something more modern.  I am still looking right now.

May 22, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #513 of 558

Quote:
So what do you all think of the Cullen mods for the PS III?

Worth the $?

If you have this, which stage?

Thx!

I have the RAM mod.  I changed the Clocks to an ultaclock that cost $800. alone.  I moved the Superclock to the usb section which i don't even use anymore and it has a separate power supply for it, should have just junked plan.  Think the mods ran me $1600. or so over the cost of the unit.  WIthout the superclock/+power supply may have been 12 or so.  I think that was worth it for the sound but my wallet screamed.

When i first heard the PS DL lll with just the RAM mod and Superclock i was sold and the ultraclock took it to another level.

May 23, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #514 of 558

Quote:
So what do you all think of the Cullen mods for the PS III?

Worth the $?

If you have this, which stage?

Thx!

I compared my old stock DLIII to one with Cullen Stage IV at the 2009 RMAF, and the modded one was noticeably better than the stock one.  Stock is still on the level of a Stello DA100 (sounds identical), and not bad at all.  But modded it had a better sense of depth, space and refinement or transparency.

Jul 17, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #515 of 558
I've been searching for a Frequency Response graph for the Digital Link III and cannot find one? Does anyone know where to find one (cant find in their manual or their website)? I would think a response curve would be readily available for such a component?

Any help apprecaited.

Theron

Nov 10, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #516 of 558
Sorry to pull up an old thread. I cant seem to find the Cullen Circuits website. Are they still around?

Nov 11, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #517 of 558
They no longer do mods on the PS DAC.  They are selling the Wyred 4 Sound DAC which is far better for the money.  

http://www.wyred4sound.com/

Nov 11, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #519 of 558
I had the PS DLIII and now DAC-2.  To my ears, the W4S sounds as analog as the DLIII.  I do use a tube amp with the DAC-2 so I may not be the best judge.  For the money, a used DLIII is an outstanding option, esp. if one doesn't plan on going higher than 16/44 resolution files.  I have nothing but love for the DLIII.

Quote:
I wouldn't say better, but different. The W4S is more digital, in that it's a brighter, perhaps more analytical sounding DAC compared to the warmer, analogue sound of the DLIII.

Nov 11, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #520 of 558

Quote:
I wouldn't say better, but different. The W4S is more digital, in that it's a brighter, perhaps more analytical sounding DAC compared to the warmer, analogue sound of the DLIII.

This matches my experience exactly. The Cullen IV-DLIII was very slightly more musical than the W4S, but the DAC2 is slightly more detailed. In the end, I went with the DAC2 because I wanted to be able to use the native resolution of my files, rather than the forced upsampling of the DL3.

Nov 11, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #521 of 558
I picked up a stock DLIII from the FS forums, should be here tomorrow, this is my first jump into a "quality" home DAC. 

Nov 11, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #522 of 558

Quote:
They no longer do mods on the PS DAC.  They are selling the Wyred 4 Sound DAC which is far better for the money.  

http://www.wyred4sound.com/

I actually talked to Rick Cullen himself when I was thinking about the Cullen mods for my (now sold) DLIII and he told me to go for the W4S DAC-2 as it was the better way to go sonically. I find this one of the most transparent DACs I've ever heard (not bright or warm).

I found the PS Audio DAC had the typical warm PS Audio colouration. Musical...absolutely...but still warm.

Dec 5, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #523 of 558
Which of these settings should I be using on my Macbook with the DLIII attached via optical?

Dec 6, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #525 of 558
Thank you sir

Users who are viewing this thread

Back