PS-1 vs. HP-1000
Sep 20, 2006 at 2:23 PM Post #46 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmcom
I wouldn't sell mine. Not even for 2k$.
3000smile.gif

If somebody dropped $2K in front of me for the PS-1, I probably wouldn't sell. But I'd have think very hard first...
tongue.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #47 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
If somebody dropped $2K in front of me for the PS-1, I probably wouldn't sell. But I'd have think very hard first...
tongue.gif

and if they dropped the 2k in my lap i'd say "but I don't even have them yet".
then i would run off down the road with the 2k, change my identity and live like a king!

Sep 20, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #48 of 75
i doubt i would sell my pair for $2000. i would have to think long and hard about it and also have an extended audition with the L3000s to see if they are really as good as i think they are.

Sep 20, 2006 at 2:55 PM Post #50 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
I guess I just find the idea of a woman who can appreciate high quality sound on her own very cool. Her father taught her well!
cool.gif

well thanks.

I'm sure you girlfriend has other redeeming qualities. yes?
She digs music, right?

Just be sure to get a pre-nup that she can't interfere with your sonic adventures during marriage or divorce!
cool.gif
wink.gif
-?

Sep 20, 2006 at 2:57 PM Post #51 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by analog'd
thank you to Braillediver. you made my current financial shenanigans seem less stoopid.

I loved my gs1k's, but missed the slam of the rs1's, so I managed to pull $350 together to buy the HF1's a week ago to fill the gap a bit. I really liked them. figured ok, when I can I'll get another rs1, but for now I can live happily with the hf1.

the next day I got an offer I couldn't refuse: a friend (actually his brother) had bought a pair of PS1's new in Germany and NEVER USED THEM. he's a stax guy, and he wants new skiis/boots. I was offered the pair at $1400 usd plus shipping. so in the last days I have sold a woo audio 3, my gs1000's and my daughter's k701's. (no, I would not have sold my daughter.) I gave her the choice and she LOVED the hf1's. she grew up on grado cans so I was pretty sure these would please her more than k701's - they did and they are hers!

I have "new" old PS1's coming this week.

I figure I can always add gs1k's if I feel the need down the line, but I may never have had the chance for PS1's again, and since I love that sound...

I'm so excited I couldn't fall asleep last night.

and to return to the thread point, i would have paid even more if i had to.

biggrin.gif

Welcome to lucky ps-1 owner club , you'll be glad about your subscription

Sep 20, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #52 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
I, for one, don't understand all the fuss about the PS1, aside from its' obvious rarity. It is so bass-heavy that I can't see it as anything but a novelty headphone - I'd pay more for an HD650 than a PS1, assuming I couldn't re-sell either

boy I'm glad that you are not my "Personal Technology Consultant" (per your profile)
blink.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif
eek.gif

good that you know what you dont like though!

Sep 20, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #54 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by analog'd
thanks Boodi! I'm so psyched I can't stand it....

ears ( and brain ) take quite a while to adapt to the ps-1 sound , it is an headphone for a long relationship not a fastlove affair
tongue.gif
so do not be in a hurry to judge them on first listenings ; they're the most bass ( quality ) able headphones I've ever come through . I'll be reading your impressions as soon as you'll give them . There's still people who can't stand their bass . I think that also much depends on the system you can pair them with .
My first impressions are here
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ght=story+ps-1

and the thing has gone better and better since them

Sep 20, 2006 at 3:36 PM Post #55 of 75
Here's an interesting thought - if the GS-1000s or even the RS-1s were very rare items - say only 150 made of each and only sold as pre-orders as a one time deal, how much would they be worth, now and eventually?

I know people who have said they prefer the RS-1 to the PS-1 even if it's hard to say that the RS-1 is generally a "better" pair of headphones, its sound signature has its fans. If the RS-2 was the only Grado in the line generally available, and that tempting ultra-rare limited edition top of the line 'phone was only available through head-fi used sales / ebay, I bet it would garner 1K+

Conversely, if the PS-1 was an in-production pair of headphones directed at the pro audio industry, how much would they be currently going for (new and used)?

The what if... game is fun to play.

Sep 20, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #56 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonance
Here's an interesting thought - if the GS-1000s or even the RS-1s were very rare items - say only 150 made of each and only sold as pre-orders as a one time deal, how much would they be worth, now and eventually?

I know people who have said they prefer the RS-1 to the PS-1 even if it's hard to say that the RS-1 is generally a "better" pair of headphones, its sound signature has its fans. If the RS-2 was the only Grado in the line generally available, and that tempting ultra-rare limited edition top of the line 'phone was only available through head-fi used sales / ebay, I bet it would garner 1K+

Conversely, if the PS-1 was an in-production pair of headphones directed at the pro audio industry, how much would they be currently going for (new and used)?

ahah
I sometimes ask myself what if Grado starts production of a very same-sound headphone ( same drivers in lightweight-metal housings ) with portable size and weight ..

About if they were still in regular production , I think they would probably go for their original price so that they would consequently have a "normal" used price ( 10/30% less then original depending on conditions etc. )

Sep 20, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #57 of 75
Funny, how it used to be darn near impossible to fetch 2K for two new pairs of PS-1's in box with no mill marks or lettering leftovers
tongue.gif
..and how the PS-1's would sit on the FS forum for weeks... interesting how the times they change. Sold my PS-1's for much less than I paid, and because the market worth then was much lower.

Some great phones the PS-1's are indeed but would love the HP-1/2's more to have as another pair VS PS-1's...any HP-2 holders that want to sell theirs, let me know
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #58 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonance

Very true. I think if the RS-1 had only 100 made, they would be touted as the most amazing, exciting phones that you just can't imagine how good they sound, and that owners wouldn't sell them for $2-3K.

That's simply because if you like them, then it wouldn't make sense to sell them for any amount of money because you may not be able to buy another pair down the road.

I read all the excitement about the PS-1s, and had to hear them. Iamdone was nice enough to offer a listen. We compared them with the GS-1000 and RS-1. He liked the PS-1's on everything over the other two headphones. I thought the GS-1000 and PS-1 were right about on par (PS-1 more refined especially on vocals, GS-1000 bigger soundstage, better layering and timbre). I actually preferred the RS-1 to the GS-1000 and PS-1 for some songs. So, I felt even at $1,400 to $1,500 they were a bit overpriced. But because they are rare and would be easy to sell, it wouldn't be bad to pay that much. $2-3K would make me wonder if there would be very many buyers considering what else is available.

Sep 20, 2006 at 4:19 PM Post #59 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
$2-3K would make me wonder if there would be very many buyers considering what else is available.

ahah ..
I could bet if I putted my ps-1 for sale I would have a sale pending in few days if not hours , 2k$ range .
You should take in consideration they not only are considered by many the best existing dynamic headphone ever made , but also they're higly sought because practically not available , if not with an high dose of luck on a lucky day when jumping on a pair that's just gone on sale on the forum .

Sep 20, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #60 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
ahah ..
I could bet on it , if I putted my ps-1 for sale I would have a sale pending in few days if not hours , 2k range .
You should take in consideration they not only are considered by many the best existing dynamic headphone ever made , but also they're practically not - available , if not with an high dose of luck on a lucky day when jumping on a pair that's just gone on sale on the forum .

I prefer the K-1000 to both the HP-2, and even more so to the PS-1, so I guess I don't share that opinion.

I'll offer $750 for them max - take it or leave it
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back