Pros and Cons for the Stax SR-007 MK2 vs. STAX 4070
Jul 4, 2008 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

braillediver

Headphoneus Supremus
I’m curious as to the Pros and Cons of the Stax SR-007 MK2 vs. STAX 4070.

Also where is the best price on each? I’ve used PriceJapan before and would probably get them there unless there are better options.

Thanks Mitch

Jul 4, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 10
First off both of these cans need a serious amp behind them so the Aristaeus might not be a good match.

As for the sound then the SR-007Mk2 (the A version is exactly the same headphone except the silver housing) is designed for music listening while the 4070 is a Pro headphone intended for monitoring and it shows in the sound. They are bar none the best monitors I've ever heard where you can hear every note but they are a bit dry with limited bass bloom and the upper midrange has a slight coloration due to the closed body. They are also pretty heavy but the support is great so you might not notice it but there is way to tell.

The SR-007Mk2 is more musical and has a large midbass hump which makes them sound better on less powerful amps but they lack the bass depth of the Mk1 as well as the overall coherence. The newer model is a bit more forward and "exciting" then the Mk1 but the comfort has gone up with the new leather earpads and better headpad materials. Stax also solved the fart issue (by compromising the sound IMO) by adding a port so they are noise free.

Jul 4, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 10
Every time I tried the 4070 I could never get past how heavy they where.
Sound aside for that reason alone I would never consider buying them.

Jul 4, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 10
From my experience on a few amps (have not heard KGSS/KGBH) - 4070 is easier to get to sound good, while Omega 2 sounds relentlessly dark on most equipment. Possibly as a result of that I prefer 4070 (drastically) to O2, but I also like the stronger treble of the 4070 and the more forward nature.

O2 seems to deliver more space and the discrepancy between notes is not as obvious, but from technical perspective O2 is probably better than 4070.

Jul 4, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 10
The weight of the 4070 is an issue and so are the vinyl earpads but Stax did release a new version of the pads this year with the foam mesh replaced by the fabric material used in the Omega series. There might be some other changes but I haven't received a sample yet to try out.

The only headphone which IMO comes close to the SR-007 is the older SR-Ω. The signature is similar but the SR-Ω has a more rounded bass and ever so slightly bloated and out of control when pushed hard, the soundstage is expansive and deep when fed well though not as diffuse and "foggy" as a certain Senn model. The treble isn't as smooth as on the Sr-007, detail retrieval is slightly lacking and they do seem a bit too relaxed when they shouldn't be but definitely one of the best models ever built. They do have some major flaws and Stax will only repair by replacing the drivers with SR-007 so the sound will not be the same. I have a set like that on the way from Japan with the original drivers included so I can comment on the sound and see if there is any way to repair the broken drivers and save these phones.

Oct 25, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From my experience on a few amps (have not heard KGSS/KGBH) - 4070 is easier to get to sound good, while Omega 2 sounds relentlessly dark on most equipment. Possibly as a result of that I prefer 4070 (drastically) to O2, but I also like the stronger treble of the 4070 and the more forward nature.

O2 seems to deliver more space and the discrepancy between notes is not as obvious, but from technical perspective O2 is probably better than 4070.

My new 007A does not sound dark at all, with either the Stax 717 or SRM3 amps. I notice from the tape hiss that I can hear on old recordings that they have a peak in the treble about 8KHz. Darkness seems to have been an issue with the original 007, but not the MII (or A) model.

Oct 27, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How heavy is 4070 ?

Quoted from the Stax website.
wink.gif

"Weight: 625g, 480g without cable"

Closed Back type Earspeaker : 4070

Users who are viewing this thread

Back