Proper cable winding?
Jan 20, 2009 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

discombobulation

100+ Head-Fier
Just looking at my new W3s and some of the earphones I've owned in the past, all the time the wire seems to start twisting/coiling. I've read about a few instances where the W3 wire unbraided irreversibly too. I'm putting them inside my 3-inch oval Audio Technica case now.

So my question is...is there a proper way to coil the wires to prevent this from happening?

Jan 21, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #3 of 9
I am not 100% sure if this also applies to headphone cables but when we wind up microphone cables the best way to do it is to "make them happy". With a microphone cable or any type of rope or power cord there is a way that the cord wants to be wrapped. Its hard to explain but when done correctly the loops should lay flat and not stick up at odd angles.

Jan 21, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by THE_SOURCE41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not 100% sure if this also applies to headphone cables but when we wind up microphone cables the best way to do it is to "make them happy". With a microphone cable or any type of rope or power cord there is a way that the cord wants to be wrapped. Its hard to explain but when done correctly the loops should lay flat and not stick up at odd angles.

I do this with all my headphone cables, basically the wire has a sort of "memory" from the factory and the idea is to re-wind them accordingly. What I do is wrap the cable around three or four fingers on my left hand while guiding the cable with my right index finger and thumb. They key is to twist the cable with the right fingers to make the loop "form" properly so that in the end all the loops lie flat.

This is probably a terrible explaination because it really is much simpler than it sounds. Like I said, the key is to twist the cable a little to accomodate the wire's "memory". This actually works and is the proper way to wind all sorts of cables, wires, even ropes and hoses.

Maybe someone can explain it better, but if you tinker with the cable a little I'm sure you'll see what I'm talking about.

The W3 cable is even easier to wind because it is so flexible it doesn't have much "memory" to it. I wouldn't worry about them too much.

Jan 22, 2009 at 10:10 AM Post #7 of 9
I was shown the error of my ways with cable winding just recently by a audio engineer friend. its kind of simple but kind of hard to explain, danosaurus did give a good indication as to how its done but best bet would be try youtube a video, not sure what you would search. or try ask someone who would be in the know about such things like i did. the benefits of winding them properly are
1. wires get less fatigued so will last longer
2. they become unwound very fast with no possibility of knots.
3. they unwind straight, not like when you just wrap them around and around and they start looking like a spring!

Jan 24, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #8 of 9
Jan 24, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #9 of 9
Cabling is like any other type of insulated wire. Never, ever coil, wrap, or twist up tightly. Coiling and wrapping results in twists in the wire inside the insulation and builds resistance. Resistance creates heat which ultimately leads to failure.

This also goes for any appliance with a cable or wire, from your electric iron to your clock radio, to your headphones. Always loosely gather the wire or cable and then loosely confine it with either a twist-tie, plastic tie or velcro tie. It doesn't matter if it looks messy. Try to avoid stressing the ends where it goes into the plug or comes from the earpieces/appliance. Using the factory crimps in the cable isn't such a great idea either. It's like a piece of paper folded into the same creases. Over time, it weakens in the crease.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back