Project Sunrise III
Dec 9, 2013 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

money4me247

Headphoneus Supremus
Source: http://www.garage1217.com/graphic_design_013.htm

Quote:
12-8-13:
She is almost here! We have kept the update a secret for sometime now. Project Sunrise and Horizon are entering into a version III! We have listened closely over the years to what customers would like to have added to these designs and we have made it so. No worries - at heart she is the same amplifier, producing the same sound that has made her quite the seller and loved globally. New features include...

1. Variable input gain with changeable gain module for custom values (very important when mating equipment and sources) Finally no more fixed gain! Dial it in per the equipment you own
  2. Line output disconnect. So when headphones are plugged in, the line out is disconnected for reduced noise - increased performance (this can be easily defeated if one uses the amplifier as a pre-amp and headphone amplifier simultaneously)
  3. Added in an extra output resistance setting which bypasses the resistors totally
  4. Output resistance changes now affect the line-out / pre-out
  5. Revised protection circuitry
  6. Power and protection LED indicators
  7. New and improved layout yet still closely resembles the original
  8. New chassis design, again closely resembles the original

More info, photos and user manuals to come! Sunrise III will officially start shipping late next week. Any orders placed now for a Sunrise II, will receive the new Sunrise III.

Dec 24, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #2 of 18
OMG!!! check it out the new project horizon 3 & sunrise 3 are out on garage1217's website!!!!!!

project sunrise 3: http://www.garage1217.com/garage1217_diy_tube_headphone_amplifiers_002.htm
 New features of Sunrise III
  1. 3 Output resistance settings
  2. Revised layout
  3. Line-out bypass (when headphones are plugged in)
  4. Variable input gain with easy to swap gain module
  5. Revised protection circuit with LED indication

project horizon 3: http://www.garage1217.com/garage1217_diy_tube_headphone_amplifiers_003.htm
 New features of Horizon III:
  1. Revised layout
  2. Line-out bypass (when headphones are plugged in)
  3. Variable input gain with easy to swap gain module
  4. Revised protection circuit with LED indication

edit: hahaha... I'm pretty excited about this! would love to hear impressions of the newer models :)

Feb 13, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #4 of 18
Anyone else have this amp? I just got mine about 2 weeks ago. I am really liking it however i do have a few issues with it. Mostly with the included tube JJ E88CC  and my ATH-AD900X.

I don't know much about tube as this is my first foray into tube amps but i think this is a high gain tube as my AD900X get very loud very fast.

I had to turn my input down to about 20% to be able to listen comfortable with the amp's pot past the recommended 9'o clock position. With that i find bass to be a bit lacking, mids really forward and lush highs crystal but a bit piercing on some tracks. 

Not sure if i should get a different tube or if an inline resistor would do anything.  

setup
foobar2000 (WASAPI) > Hifimediy Sabre DAC > Project Sunrise III (JJ E88CC) > ATH-AD900X 

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #5 of 18
My Sunrise III is currently on its way. I was going to use it with the ATH-AD900X headphones but Jeremy from Garage 1217 suggested that I might have to use an attenuator or lower the volume at the source (for example PC volume out) in order to have comfortable room on the volume knob to regulate the volume. The ATH-AD900X has a low impedance and high efficieny and would not really need an amp. I have since sold the ATH-AD900X  and purchased an Sennheiser HD650. I post my impressions with the HD650 and the Sunrise III later. 

May 10, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #7 of 18
The Sunrise III arived yesterday. Mine has Serial Nr.18 and I ordered it with GE Smoked Glas 6DJ8 vintage tube. Jeremy suggested that tube for my HD650.
The built quality is absolutely fantastic, have a look:

May 26, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #8 of 18
What is not very clear to me, can I use the Sunrise III as a Tube Buffer Stage, like the Ember? 

Edit: got my answer, it is, a buffer with the volume control enabled

Jun 27, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #9 of 18
@Nightmistx22 , did you try bypassing the input cap? 

Q to anyone/everyone who may know.  What I can't figure out is why this is called a 'hybrid' amp.  It's OTL.  Does it have a solid-state input stage?

Thanx

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #10 of 18
I just tried all of the Garage1217 at a local Head-Fi meet and the Sunrise III was my favorite. So much so that I might buy one! The Ember was very good but didn't quite have the sound signature of the Sunrise, which I preferred.

Nov 6, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #12 of 18
After a week and about 40hr of listening to the Sunrise III, I am getting a feel for things. I am using what I believe to be a 60's RCA 12AU7A tube, with HE560 headphones.

Notes:

1.) Playing with the output resistance hasn't really payed off for me, anything higher than the lowest (1.5ohm) setting results in a compressed, muddy sound to my ears.
2.) Bypassing the input capacitors seemed to have a pretty decent effect. This opened things up, note separation and soundstage improved.
3.) The amp tilts to the warm side of neutral. I find myself listening to as many tracks with awesome guitar distortion as possible. Bass extends way down and remains controlled, probably a slight roll off in the highs but this makes for a great companion to the HE560.
4.) I have found what where once hard to decipher lyrics all of a sudden are easily understood. Not sure if this is due to dynamics or detail, but it's one of those rare cases where I feel like I'm hearing an old song for the first time.

That's it for now. Might move on to the Tube Rolling thread in the future to see if I can wring anymore out of her!

Dec 4, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #13 of 18
I have mine for about two weeks or so. Posted a review (see signature). I personally like it best with RCA 6AU7 and Amperex 6DJ8 tube. Big thanks to Jeremy as well as he is sending me Russian 6N2P-EB tube since the first one that came with mine was somehow broken. Jeremy claim it to be a small leakage that allowed the vacumm to escape. Havent got the time to check on it yet.

Mar 4, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #15 of 18
This seems like the obvious amplifier to compare with the Schiit Vali 2. Has anyone heard the Vali 2?

I have, however I am working to formulate the words to myself first, to describe the differences. It is not a simple more bass, more treble kind of a difference. It is almost like I need to first describe a stage with players, and next describe the location of the players as heard through the two amplifiers. But I'm not clear that is helpful to the reader trying to identify characteristics that he or she is seeking, per choosing the amplifier that best suites their need. So I'm still thinking about it, and planning to do a lot more listening first - perhaps a little descriptive writing later.

Question still stands - if you have heard both, how would you characterize the differences?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back