Project Ember Tube Rolling
Jun 5, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #466 of 3,354
  I've had similar experience with the 12AU7 and 12AX7 tubes.  I tried and liked some of the new tubes being produced, Tung-sol, Electro Harmonix, and Gold Lion.  Still haven't gotten the adapter for rolling 6SN7 tubes so I can't comment on those.

I have not tried the 6sn7 tube yet either but I have one on the way and really look forward to hearing it on Saturday.

Jun 5, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #467 of 3,354

Cool thanks. Ive been a member there for a little while actually. Will stop by.

Thought the name was familiar, so many names, so many forums, soooooo old, sorry!

Jun 5, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #468 of 3,354

Thought the name was familiar, so many names, so many forums, soooooo old, sorry!

If it is familiar its from this site. :)

Over there I am WhiteNoise

I have a number of posts there but I spend more time reading then getting involved. So much good info.

Jun 7, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #469 of 3,354
My 6SN7 came in today and I have to admit I'm pretty impressed. It's not as lush as some of my vintage Telefunken tubes and isn't quite sharp on both ends of the FR as my vintage Amperex tubes BUT and this is a BIG BUT...it's more open. It is more spacious sounding than my other tubes and it's pretty damn clean. What I wasn't expecting is how good the bass is. Really deep, tight and dips lower than many tubes I have heard. My Bugle Boy's hit like this but the 6SN7 has more meat to the bass. Mids are not up front but really good. Highs are clear and sparkly to an extent with maybe a bit of roll off. Not a bright tube at all but close. This is where the bugle boys gets it right in my book.

Anyways this Sylvania 6SN7 is a winner. I want to pick up a Ken Rad tube just to hear it and compare but I would be happy with this Sylvania.

Jun 16, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #471 of 3,354
  My 6SN7 came in today and I have to admit I'm pretty impressed. It's not as lush as some of my vintage Telefunken tubes and isn't quite sharp on both ends of the FR as my vintage Amperex tubes BUT and this is a BIG BUT...it's more open. It is more spacious sounding than my other tubes and it's pretty damn clean. What I wasn't expecting is how good the bass is. Really deep, tight and dips lower than many tubes I have heard. My Bugle Boy's hit like this but the 6SN7 has more meat to the bass. Mids are not up front but really good. Highs are clear and sparkly to an extent with maybe a bit of roll off. Not a bright tube at all but close. This is where the bugle boys gets it right in my book.

Anyways this Sylvania 6SN7 is a winner. I want to pick up a Ken Rad tube just to hear it and compare but I would be happy with this Sylvania.

OK so let me see if I got this right. You're comparing 4 tubes - all of them the regular size for the Ember, and one being the 6SN7 type.

- Sylvania 6SN7: wider soundstage and more air to the treble. Clean and clear with deep, tight & full bodied bass, but
                         recessed mids and treble roll off.
- Telefunken:       more lush than the Sylvania 6SN7
- Amperex:          sharper on both ends of the FR than Sylvania 6SN7
- Bugle Boy:        impactful bass, extended & organic treble.

To me it sounds like a possible case of new product jitters or whatever that's called, where you want to find a reason your new product is superior to justify the purchase - and as if just maybe, if you do a blind test, then perhaps you would be happier with the Bugle Boy... but that's all based off your review and from not having tried these yet. That would be interesting to hear another comparison between those two. Also, which type of Sylvania 6SN7, and which type of Bugle Boy was that? (the 6DJ8 maybe)? thanks man

Jun 16, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #472 of 3,354

OK so let me see if I got this right. You're comparing 4 tubes - all of them the regular size for the Ember, and one being the 6SN7 type.

- Sylvania 6SN7: wider soundstage and more air to the treble. Clean and clear with deep, tight & full bodied bass, but
                         recessed mids and treble roll off.
- Telefunken:       more lush than the Sylvania 6SN7
- Amperex:          sharper on both ends of the FR than Sylvania 6SN7
- Bugle Boy:        impactful bass, extended & organic treble.

To me it sounds like a possible case of new product jitters or whatever that's called, where you want to find a reason your new product is superior to justify the purchase - and as if just maybe, if you do a blind test, then perhaps you would be happier with the Bugle Boy... but that's all based off your review and from not having tried these yet. That would be interesting to hear another comparison between those two. Also, which type of Sylvania 6SN7, and which type of Bugle Boy was that? (the 6DJ8 maybe)? thanks man

New product jitters? I was just trying to explain what I hear when listening to the 6sn7. I didn't see anywhere in my post where I was saying it is the best tube in my collection. Just that I'm impressed with it. I have many more than 4 tubes. and of all the tubes I own there is a few that really stand out. Favorite tube? I have two; a 1964 bugle boy 12AX and a telefunken 12AT. I think you are saying above that I'd be happier with the bugle boy even though I have not tried it yet? That statement confuses me a bit. I have several bugle boy tubes.

I might also mention that of all the tubes I own (below in screen shot) There are more than a few that I do not like all that much, some others I find good but nothing special, and then a select handful that really blow me away. Keep in mind that each time I have bought a tube I have not always been happy and so I can asure you that I don't feel the need to justify any purchase.

In my post above I was talking about 3 tubes including the 6sn7. When I said bugle boy and then said Amperex I was talking about the same tube, as Amperex makes the bugle boy.

I've been rolling tubes for a long time now and think I have a pretty good handle on how each one sounds to me.

Honestly I'm not sure how to take your post. Can't tell if I'm being insulted or not. I don't find the 6sn7 to be superior to anything. It's just a good sounding tube. Pretty impressed with it too.

I have three 6sn7 tubes now.

To answer your question though I was using a 1960's Sylvania 6SN7GTB that I bought off Jeremy for $20 when I posted about the 6sn7.

Jun 16, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #473 of 3,354
Nice selection of tubes Amish, I was wondering the same thing about him, thought maybe he was just a troll

Jun 16, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #474 of 3,354
@Amish, nice tube selection.  What do you think of the Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 in the Ember?  I tried some of my 6DJ8 tubes for my Lyr2 in the Ember and they were a mixed bag.  I have 2 pairs of Amperex Bugle Boy's, Holland, gold pins, which are really good in the Lyr2 but not that great in the Ember.

Jun 16, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #475 of 3,354
  @Amish, nice tube selection.  What do you think of the Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 in the Ember?  I tried some of my 6DJ8 tubes for my Lyr2 in the Ember and they were a mixed bag.  I have 2 pairs of Amperex Bugle Boy's, Holland, gold pins, which are really good in the Lyr2 but not that great in the Ember.

I'm honestly not a big fan of the 6DJ8 tube. Let me explain though. I really like the higher gain from the 12AT and 12AX tubes so I tend to prefer those. The bugle boy 6DJ8 sounds really really good. In fact I would put it against my other bugle boys and SQ wise they are about equal. They sound quite a bit alike, only the 12AX gets louder. I guess thats the best way to describe it.

Honestly this 6DJ8 is one of the very best tubes I own even though I rarely use it. It handles the entire FR very well, clean, really good tight bass, wonderful highs and mids that make me smile, BUT I can get that very same sound in one of my 12AX bugle boys. I will admit that the 6dj8 might be ever so slightly cleaner sounding due to the lower gain maybe? Not sure. Ultimately it works well in the Ember for me. Maybe I just got lucky or maybe my ears are tuned to liking that sound. :)

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #477 of 3,354
@Amish, I was just trying to paraphrase your review on those tubes to make sense out of your meaning because I thought you said you liked the Sylvania better than the others (you said "a winner" and I thought you meant it's "the winner"), despite the few shortcomings you mentioned compared to the others. Really I'm trying to figure out if the sonic performance from the upgrade of the 6SN7 adapter & its' extra expensive tubes is worth it or not compared to the 'normal' tubes of the Ember. 

I'll save a note about your favorites so I can try them out later too; the 1964 bugle boy 12AX(7?) and the Telefunken 12AT. Was that the 12AT7 1959 that stood out, the lush sounding one?

Also if somebody doesn't mind, I'm curious: if there is a year next to to a tube name (1959, 1964, etc.) does this mean that was the year of manufacture, so that mostly these older ones would be all used, or are they still making these same tubes? Thanks much

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #478 of 3,354
The year refers to when they were manufactured. They may be used or they may be new old stock (NOS).

6SN7 valves needn't be expensive mate. I got a few for not much money at all. Are they the very best? Probably not, but they're better than any 9-pin I've heard thus far.

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #479 of 3,354
@DecentLevi, I understand now. For the record my favorite Telefunken is the 1960 tube I own. It has a 3d sound I just love.

When I said it's a winner I meant I liked it. Not all tube I buy make me happy.

As for the year..those are the year of manufacture. They are no longer made.

As for the 6sn7 adapter and 6sn7 tube...is it worth the upgrade? Well the adapter is only $24 and there are tons of 6sn7's on the market for cheap so yeah..worth it just for the ability to roll more tubes.

Are the sonics better than tubes that can be run already without an adapter? I think that can only be answered by each user himself. I have plenty of tubes that I prefer over the 6sn7. The 6sn7 can in some cases provide a more open sound stage compared to my other tubes and for that reason I really enjoy the tube but it will depend on the tube you are using and ultimately the SQ to me has not improved any. Just more spaciousness in the music.

Put it this way, if money is tight and you would have to upgrade your current Ember to the super charger as well as buy the adapter and tube then I would say that no it's not worth the money. You can find wonderfully sounding tubes for the Ember already.

For me it is more that I enjoy tube rolling and the more options I have the more enjoyment I have.

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #480 of 3,354
a remark : for my ears not all 6sn7 sound the same..... No tube  in the same family  give the same performance compared to  an another tube in the same family... I think its particurlaly true of the 6sn7 family.....The result on your ears will vary in function of your gear and taste..... For me the 6sn7 was better than my amperex and bugle boy not in the absolute but for my gear and taste...
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back