Project Ember Tube Rolling
Aug 25, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #211 of 3,354
Posted this in another thread for the PS and PS2 tube rolling but have the Ember. I'd like to pop into this thread and give you my top 2 tubes for the Project Ember. The Telefunkun 1962 12AT7 and the Amperex Feb 1958 D or Square Getter (don't know the difference between the 2). 2nd place goes to the TFK 1968 E88CC from Upscale and a 1965 Amperex BB small O getter. However, The Siemens and Halske E88CC Grey Shield has the best midrange though. Headphones I use the most are Senns HD600 and HIFIMan He-500s. IMHO only.

Aug 25, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #212 of 3,354
The trend in this thread seems to be that NOS Amperex and Telefunken ar ethe way to go if you can afford them. Most other tubes seem to be situational.

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #214 of 3,354
I just received two Amperex tubes from Ebay. Here are some brief impressions with my HE-400. 

Amperex 6DJ8 Orange Globe: Very nice. Smooth highs, spacious with a good sense of air, a little warm overall but not much. Bass is slightly soft and extension could be better, but still plenty satisfying. Excellent detail but a relaxed presentation overall. 

Amperex 12AU7 Holland (Hewlet Packard label, 1969): Not sure if I like this one better or the Orange Globe. It is similar but more relaxed, bigger and more diffuse soundstage. Highs are a little smoother, bass is a tiny bit softer and warmer. Soundstage seems to be the biggest difference. 

I'm interested in trying a Bugle Boy next (maybe 12AT7 just for something different, though I do prefer lower gain so far). Interested in Telefunken too but they are really pricey.

I will add impressions on my other tubes as I get the chance.

EDIT:

Electro-Harmonix 6922EH Russia: Decent all-around tube. Nothing amazing, but no major flaws either. On the smooth side with good bass extension. This was my favorite before I got the Amperexes, mostly because I found the others too fatiguing long-term.

Tung-Sol 12AX7 Russia: V-shaped sound. Bass is excellent with the most extension and impact of any of my tubes so far, but the highs are too much for me with the HE-400. 

Voskhod 12AX7VKA: Good tube. Balanced sound overall, but on the aggressive side. Maybe a hair bright. Vivid and clear. Soundstage is more upfront. A little fatiguing though. 

Sep 9, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #215 of 3,354
  Interested in Telefunken too but they are really pricey.

NOS Telefunken tubes are the holy grail for a lot of amps, the cheapest I've ever seen is $50 for a 12ax7. They do make new stock, but not for all of their old models, and they're still not cheap - http://www.telefunken-elektroakustik.com/products/tubes/

Sep 9, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #216 of 3,354
  NOS Telefunken tubes are the holy grail for a lot of amps, the cheapest I've ever seen is $50 for a 12ax7. They do make new stock, but not for all of their old models, and they're still not cheap - http://www.telefunken-elektroakustik.com/products/tubes/

You know, I've been hearing that they are on the bright side so I'll pass for now. These Amperexes have my HE-400s sounding the best I've heard them, very spacious and un-fatiguing. I'm just going to work on finding some Bugle Boys for now. 

Sep 9, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #217 of 3,354
There's been a lot of positive stuff about amperex in this thread, I need to track down where mine went and compare it to my tesla, especially now that I just got my TH-900's today. Gotta re-tweak stuff to get everything perfect for the new sound signature...

Sep 9, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #218 of 3,354
How do you like those Teslas? 

I remember using some in my Little Dot MK3 (I forgot which kind of tubes it uses but I don't think they are the same as the Ember). It was an interesting sound, soft bass but also dry in the mids and treble. 

Sep 10, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #221 of 3,354
  How do you like those Teslas?

It's my go-to tube for jazz, hands down. I also like it with classical, because when I sit down to listen to classical, that means I'm listening to an entire symphony, and entire opera, etc. Rolling off the treble a bit keeps stuff from being too fatiguing. For other types of music I use other tubes, though I'm going to be going through my small collection again to reevaluate the tubes for how they pair with my TH-900's which finally arrived yesterday. This is going to be busy weekend.

Sep 10, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #223 of 3,354
Yeah, that tube is going to be really useful if I ever get my hands on some PS-1000i's, the main problem that they have is that the highs can be a bit out of control with a lot of amps.

Sep 20, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #224 of 3,354
Has anyone tried these cv4033's yet?  http://www.tubemonger.com/Brimar_CV4033_NOS_1960_62_Prem_CV4024_STC_Eng_FAC_p/2042m.htm.  Going to order one next week and see, at this price should be a winner.

Oct 26, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #225 of 3,354
New and different ??? I bought some Russian 6N5P tubes I just came across them surfing ebay 2x triodes. Similar values to 6FG7 .
They are really nice tubey sounding tubes meaning sweet and fat not unlike the 12BH7 another favorite of mine. My understanding is the gain is like the12AU7s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back