Project Ember Tube Rolling
Mar 4, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #2,166 of 3,354
Thank you 
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #2,167 of 3,354
  I just read a comment stating the same thing ,  Zenith 6j5 a rebranded sylvania

Well we have already discussed Sylvania 6J5's on this Forum and the impressions were mixed, although they may have been straight bottled shape not coke bottle shaped tubes.
There are relatively cheap Sylvania 6J5's on eBay just now but if Zenith used other brands too who knows what we are buying.
Actually, I read that Sylvania shared techincal expertise with Visseaux at one time so the plot thickens even more.

Mar 4, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #2,168 of 3,354
While I appreciate the extensive evaluation and believe the results DecentLevi found comparing the Zenith 6J5G to the Visseaux, I will not be chasing the Zenith's. I've spent too much money and time over the years hunting for tubes that might be branded X and are really made by Y. Too early in the detective game for me to chase with a lot of uncertainty. Perhaps the variances of the internal structures are insignificant as the pair DecentLevi tested were not identical, I don't know. 

I may be a bit odd in this regard, but I want a pair of tubes to have identical internal structures if for no other reason than me (OCD?) questioning if L and R really do sound identical.

Do some scouring on the web and you will find NOS Zenith 6J5G's that may have the same magic as Levi found last night!

Mar 4, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #2,169 of 3,354
  While I appreciate the extensive evaluation and believe the results DecentLevi found comparing the Zenith 6J5G to the Visseaux, I will not be chasing the Zenith's. I've spent too much money and time over the years hunting for tubes that might be branded X and are really made by Y. Too early in the detective game for me to chase with a lot of uncertainty. Perhaps the variances of the internal structures are insignificant as the pair DecentLevi tested were not identical, I don't know. 

I may be a bit odd in this regard, but I want a pair of tubes to have identical internal structures if for no other reason than me (OCD?) questioning if L and R really do sound identical.

Do some scouring on the web and you will find NOS Zenith 6J5G's that may have the same magic as Levi found last night!

I read that all the main USA manufacturers re-branded between themselves, especially in the 40-50's when tubes were in heavy demand.

Mar 4, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #2,170 of 3,354
  I read that all the main USA manufacturers re-branded between themselves, especially in the 40-50's when tubes were in heavy demand.

Yes, that is true. That's what makes chasing 'brands' difficult. The key, IMO, is identifying internal construction details of a great sounding tube (valve for you Howie!) and when that  tube was made, not the brand on the base.

Mar 4, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #2,171 of 3,354

Yes, that is true. That's what makes chasing 'brands' difficult. The key, IMO, is identifying internal construction details of a great sounding tube (valve for you Howie!) and when that  tube was made, not the brand on the base.

Absolutely, it's such a pity so many of those who worked in the industry are no longer around to help identify the various internal structures.

Mar 4, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #2,172 of 3,354

I have noticed MANY of the 6j5 being sold as pair will have different construction which I am also NOT a fan of.  The sellers will call them a pair but are careful NOT to say MATCHING

If we have different construction tubes how are we to say which tube is producing the desired SQ ?,  Its great if someone finds a mismatch pair they are happy with but that could easily get into needle in the haystack type search and I doubt you would recoup your investment upon resell, I know I wont buy a non matching pair most people I know in tubes would not consider a non matching pair either

Mar 4, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #2,173 of 3,354
I agree: If I'm going to FrankenProject my amps, there's no way I'm doing so without identical tubes. The mismatched pairs are very common among rare and/or popular tubes.

I have a "pair" of RCA smoked glass tubes that I'm not selling as a pair because they are not a pair. They look slightly different even if I can't tell a difference in the sound.

I'm kinda trying to get off the tube train since I'm happy with the sound I'm getting without any fancy adapters. The itch though... the itch...

Mar 4, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #2,174 of 3,354
  I have noticed MANY of the 6j5 being sold as pair will have different construction which I am also NOT a fan of.  The sellers will call them a pair but are careful NOT to say MATCHING

If we have different construction tubes how are we to say which tube is producing the desired SQ ?,  Its great if someone finds a mismatch pair they are happy with but that could easily get into needle in the haystack type search and I doubt you would recoup your investment upon resell, I know I wont buy a non matching pair most people I know in tubes would not consider a non matching pair either

Yep, that's why you may not be taking a big risk buying real (?) NOS Brimar and Vissaeux 6J5G's from a known tube dealer. I don't think I have seen a 'matched pair' of Brimar or Visseaux listed, again from a known tube dealer, that were not identical construction in that pair. I'm sure I will though at some point. It is common to see some other UK production L63 / 6J5G tubes/valves (Osram, Cosser, GEC) mismatched and still go for big $$$.

Mar 4, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #2,175 of 3,354
  That's a very long time to have to wait for your new amp.
confused.gif
Do they ask you to pay in advance as well?

I asked for a split payment and got 50% percent down 50% when ready to ship.  Nice folks to deal with and their amps have quite a following, here on Head-Fi as well as other forums.  Lead times for the really expensive amps can be over 10-12 months, which I would never do.  The Elise tube swapping and adapter changing is quite in vogue there. The one member has gone from two power tubes to six with an adapter custom made by our favorite China maker. Still enjoy the Ember, and now with the Senn 700's even more so. Putting my 650's up for sale tonite, will start here on Head-Fi and then go to Ebay next week.  Come on over and check us out Howie, would be glad to have you there, they are very active on that forum.  Good listening to you, my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back