Project Ember Tube Rolling
Feb 29, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #2,116 of 3,354
  Yes looks familiar, I also used hardware fabric, I have a new design I am working on, the square was OK but I did not like lifting it on an off as it always caught the sides of the CNC plates and eventually would scratch something up, I made a cylinder now that I just tested and it works just as good as the box I need to finish up a top on it I will post a pic when I get it finished. Already looks a ton better 
biggrin.gif

i used some duct tape around the bottom, works fine, but i do want to get some nicer metal, adjust the size just a bit, but i have a good mock up to go by

you want any of the extra 7193 tubes i have now ? 

Feb 29, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #2,117 of 3,354
  i used some duct tape around the bottom, works fine, but i do want to get some nicer metal, adjust the size just a bit, but i have a good mock up to go by

you want any of the extra 7193 tubes i have now ? 

I dont have an adapter for 7193, I am concentrating my efforts on the 6J5 varients.  I bought all of Mshenay tubes and Starlight Waiting on shipping now

I will have a lot of rolling to do with the new cage. 

I am listening to the new cage as I type, and it is just as quiet as the Square version that covered the whole amp, yet much easier to take on and off with no chance of scarring up the CNC, The cylinder looks much better as well.  

I like the hardware mesh as it allows a great view of the glowing tubes and allows plenty of ventilation
biggrin.gif

Feb 29, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #2,118 of 3,354
I'm glad you guys are having fun adding your personal touches modification to the ember
biggrin.gif
so I ordered another mesh as I have another cage design in mind.

@joespride
I'm still pretty much interested with the Brimar 6J5Gs? Is that from the 1950s? Did you get a chance to listen to NU 6L5G too? If yes, which one is much closer sounding to the Visseaux? Appreciate your feedback

Feb 29, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #2,119 of 3,354
  I'm glad you guys are having fun adding your personal touches modification to the ember
biggrin.gif

@joespride
I'm still pretty much interested with the Brimar 6J5Gs? Is that from the 1950s? Did you get a chance to listen to NU 6L5G too? If yes, which one is much closer sounding to the Visseaux? Appreciate your feedback

I think you already did a bang-up job with this one

Feb 29, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #2,120 of 3,354
biggrin.gif

@joespride

I did listen to them but not at there best (IE...quiet) I have some on the way though back from Meshay  heres my final cage design I wrapped the top and bottom with parachord I had laying around I have a piece of copper wire tied to the inside of the cage that just touches the top of 1 cap its dead quiet and easy to lift off for quicker tube swaps

I think it looks much better as well, I may tie some kind of badge to it Spider / Skull just to butch it up some 
biggrin.gif

Feb 29, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #2,121 of 3,354
Double the functionality of the caged Ember as a bug zapper with hot enough tubes

Oh and PS - the moderators said they will penalize all members who post photos of modded Embers on the tube rolling thread... Huh? what was that? Maybe I would be the first because it could be mostly my fault! 
tongue_smile.gif

etysmile.gif

(not serious)

Feb 29, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #2,122 of 3,354
  I did listen to them but not at there best (IE...quiet) I have some on the way though back from Meshay  heres my final cage design I wrapped the top and bottom with parachord I had laying around I have a piece of copper wire tied to the inside of the cage that just touches the top of 1 cap its dead quiet and easy to lift off for quicker tube swaps

I think it looks much better as well, I may tie some kind of badge to it Spider / Skull just to butch it up some 
biggrin.gif

nice design, 
so, no sparkly doodads then ?

Mar 1, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #2,123 of 3,354
Does anyone think this tube may sound good?

It's a Silvertone 6F6G which is compatable (??) with 6J5

Also searching around there are still Visseaux & Zenith 6J5 available (not only on eBay), and along with the 6F6, looks like 6H6 are compatible too

EDIT: 6F6 is a pentode and 6H6 is a diode, so we would need to check further on compatibility first. But the voltage specs are good

Mar 1, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #2,129 of 3,354
  I guess there IS more Visseaux 6J5G for sale.................

Not as easy on the wallet as they had been, but they are out there!

Thats the thing, once the $$$ goes up I dont see it dropping again. Only way to get a cheaper pair is for a new seller to show up.  I got my 3 pair for right around 100 each and I would not take a penny less if I sold any of them

Mar 1, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #2,130 of 3,354
  Thats the thing, once the $$$ goes up I dont see it dropping again. Only way to get a cheaper pair is for a new seller to show up.  I got my 3 pair for right around 100 each and I would not take a penny less if I sold any of them

Like yourself, I was fortunate to snag my 2 pairs in the $100 / pair range. Are they worth $150-$200 / pair............the more I listen the more I think, YES they are!

I haven't bought many tubes in the past 15 years that do it for me quite like the 'V's

Good old free market and supply and demand at work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back