Project Ember Review
Nov 2, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #767 of 1,366
@richard51 don't try the Polaris then :wink:

i vow here in the face of the God of music not to buy the Polaris...i am married with the Ember..
atsmile.gif

Nov 3, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #768 of 1,366
How does Project Ember compare against its lesser siblings?

Am I right in thinking that

Project Starlight (16-300 Ohms) = Low cost brother
Project Sunrise III (32-300 Ohms) = The original Garage design
Project Solstice (32-600 Ohms): Less power, cheaper version of Ember II?
Project Ember (32-600 Ohms) = Flagship hybrid tube amp

Is there a reason to choose Project Ember over Project Starlight/Sunrise III/Solstice when my headphone Fidelio X2 is rated at only 30 Ohms impedance? Will there be an improvement in SQ other than the extra power Ember provides? I am seeing a lot of Ember hype compared to other Garage amps, leading me to suspect that Ember may have superior parts/implementation.

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #769 of 1,366

Is there a reason to choose Project Ember over Project Starlight/Sunrise III/Solstice when my headphone Fidelio X2 is rated at only 30 Ohms impedance? Will there be an improvement in SQ other than the extra power Ember provides? I am seeing a lot of Ember hype compared to other Garage amps, leading me to suspect that Ember may have superior parts/implementation.

I would mention that the Ember is AFAIK the only one on the list that allows to bypass the input caps, which changes slightly the sound signature (for good in my opinion).

Nov 5, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #771 of 1,366

The Solstice isn't really a "cheaper version" of the Ember, just a different amp, and it actually has certain advantages over the Ember too. I just wrote a review of the Solstice that covers the sonic difference between it and the Ember: http://www.head-fi.org/products/garage1217-project-solstice/reviews/14378

Also Jeremy @ Garage1217 is an incredible resource, you can (and should) ask him any questions you have about any of the amps.

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #773 of 1,366
I have been saving up for a Project Ember and was hoping to pull the trigger in the spring but Schiit just released the Vali2. I do realize there's a pretty big difference in power and versatility between these 2 amps but the $169 price point, I must say, has me tempted. So long as the Vali2 is able to drive my HD650's and HE500's properly this might be a good tube entry option.

Any opinions for or against? Thanks.

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #774 of 1,366
i dont know for the Vali.... But with some adapter you can roll many more tube with more flexibility (impredence, gain, resistence adjustment ) and the Ember is a marvel with no negative comment anywhere... Plus this is a pre amplifier for my  powered speakers.... 169 dollars less but..... it is not great economy ....  i had only listen to one schiit amp i cannot made advise so.....I dont regret my Ember for the last 2 years and it has been an upgrade with each family tube i had try... i wish to you the best...
atsmile.gif

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #775 of 1,366
If you are going for your first amp make it one that is more versatile, it will keep you happy longer, the Embers versatility is amazing.  The number and types of tubes and adapters to try is really the way to go.  If you think you will be happy with just rolling a couple of tubes that all same pretty much the same then save the money, or save for a little longer and get an Ember.  Twice now I have checked into getting a more expensive amp and in the end this ember just is too much fun, the sound dynamics on the hd650 are just great.  Rolling using dual adapters to use single triodes is even more fun.  I have tried more tubes that were not listed in the manual and am having a ball.  $169 is not much difference compared to what you are getting.  Great products, fast effiecent service, and advice from Frans the designer himself.  Forum memebers on this thread are very helpful. But in the end, only you can decide.

Dec 15, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #776 of 1,366
I have been saving up for a Project Ember and was hoping to pull the trigger in the spring but Schiit just released the Vali2. I do realize there's a pretty big difference in power and versatility between these 2 amps but the $169 price point, I must say, has me tempted. So long as the Vali2 is able to drive my HD650's and HE500's properly this might be a good tube entry option.

If you ultimately decide that the Ember is too expensive have you considered the cheaper G1217 options?
I have the Starlight(R1.0) and it's kick-ass for the HD650, 100db at 12 on the vol pot with a medium gain 6SN7, and low output impedance setting, listening to relatively low level recorded Classical.
Don't know how it would power the HE500 but my HE400 easily achieves 100db at 11 with the first couple of minutes of Rammstein's 'Links 2 3 4',  there's no distortion and seems like there's plenty of headroom available.(Didn't go any louder as I don't want to damage my hearing).
The Vali 2 does have a lot of power on offer for it's size and cost but from the specs it appears that the cheaper G1217 amps have loads more on offer to allow you to adjust the sound the way you want, which to my way of thinking is at least as important as sheer power anyway.

Dec 15, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #777 of 1,366

The Vali2 might not be enough for the HE500, I was listening to my friends HE-500/400/560/400i/1K a few months ago when I was in Japan for his daughters wedding and we were trying many different amps, DACs along will many other headphones.  The HE-500 only really sounded good with powerful amps that had a large voltage? swing. 

The price of the Ember is actually really good for what you get, its also one of the most versatile amps that I have used.  I think the price difference between the Vali2 and Ember make the Ember a better deal IMO.

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #778 of 1,366
Dec 15, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #779 of 1,366
Thank you everyone who have responded to my question about the higher priced Project Ember (versus the Schiit Vali2). My intention originally was to purchase the Ember and most likely I will due to its versatility and better power. I have a pretty decent SS amp that plays very nicely with my HD650's and HE500's so in reality I should get something comparable quality wise in a tube amplifier that will do these headphones justice as well.

Appreciate your feedback, great forum.

Dec 15, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #780 of 1,366
For the headphones that you have, both amps will provide plenty of power. That's no problem. Ember has more setup options but it also is not a good match for IEMs or other highly efficient headphones. My Fostex TH-X00, for example, have a very noticeable noisefloor when plugged into Ember at 0 volume.

I have owned Ember for a couple years and I love it (#1 amp for a lot of my headphones), but I just bought a Vali 2 to accommodate my Fostex and other efficient headphones.

Also, FWIW, I really didn't enjoy most of the tubes I've tried with Ember, including a couple 6SN7 tubes. People have gone nuts with tubes on this amp and, while I'm sure they found some spectacular matches, my simple 6DJ8 Bugle Boy tube has been better than every other tube I've tried. Point being: the tube rolling may empty your pocket faster than you would like and the Vali 2 will not allow this to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back