Project Ember Review
Jan 22, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #167 of 1,366
  Just wanted to share a few pics of the Ember. It sounds very good! I'll be sticking with the stock tube for now.

Just curious how do you like the amp compared to your other two? I was really curious in the vali when it first came out, and then I was recently looking into the M stage but decided the Ember seemed better for a bit more money. I do not have much experience with desktop stuff. I guess am always a bit skeptical about the next upgrade despite being proved wrong many many times. Not to open a debate but, I still find it quite shocking how much a cable can change the tone of a sound imo. Also have you tried it for gaming with the mixamp? I was just about to dabble in headphone gaming and picked up the DSS to spare my wallet a bit and will be using the ember.

Jan 22, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #168 of 1,366
  Just curious how do you like the amp compared to your other two? I was really curious in the vali when it first came out, and then I was recently looking into the M stage but decided the Ember seemed better for a bit more money. I do not have much experience with desktop stuff. I guess am always a bit skeptical about the next upgrade despite being proved wrong many many times. Not to open a debate but, I still find it quite shocking how much a cable can change the tone of a sound imo. Also have you tried it for gaming with the mixamp? I was just about to dabble in headphone gaming and picked up the DSS to spare my wallet a bit and will be using the ember.

The M-Stage and Vali are almost comparable in my opinion.  I find the Vali with a touch more clarity but with a little sparkle, which I found fatiguing with my Fidelio X1 compared to the M-Stage. Both Sounds really good and the Vali is way cheaper. I prefer the M-Stage more though cause of its preamp.

But now that I have the Ember,  It is my new favorite! I also ask Jeremy to do the Line out disconnect mod whenever a headphone is plugged in. These are very good preamps for my studio monitors.

As for the sound, I really like how you can tune the sound to your likings and will work with a lot of other headphones. I assume it will only get better when I switch out the stock tube.

I have not used it with the mixamp yet since I just got these today but im sure it will sound good.

I really love this amp and its also my first tube amp. My M-Stage will probably start collecting dust.

Jan 22, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #169 of 1,366

Yes it is, I asked Garage1217 the same question and was told it's perfectly ok. Jeremy encouraged it in fact, in order to hear the difference that it can make.

Thanks a lot! I should of asked in the beginning because its a hassle turning it on and off with the 30 second protection circuit.

Jan 24, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #173 of 1,366
I am actually getting the purple LED w/black knob installed in mine. I did not even know I could choose until Jeremy contacted me. In which he stated that he liked the purple one as well

You can choose your own color as well when you get it. It has an RGB setting which is pretty cool!

Jan 24, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #175 of 1,366
  Really how do you adjust it?

I wonder why he even asked which color I wanted then.

Its simple, just a screw driver. There's 3 dial settings right below the tube.
Download the project ember manual from their website and you will see it.

Jan 24, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #177 of 1,366
No swapping of opamps.  Soldered in, for good reason.

Jan 24, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #179 of 1,366
  Really how do you adjust it?

I wonder why he even asked which color I wanted then.

When you finally figured how to adjust the color please don't "over-turn" the potentiometers. It only turn 0-180 degrees I think but definitely less than 360. I accidentally did this to mine and I think broke a spring inside my Red pot and the dial slightly popped up, I pushed it back in whilst it works perfectly fine now but it didn't looked like it used to. Just a warning, before you get too excited like me. Be gentle, just follow through. ;p Enjoy your Ember!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back