ProGuard EarPortz
Oct 1, 2013 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Shuloff

New Head-Fier
I just want to share my disappointing experience with the ProGuard EarPortz tips on q-jays. I bought a "trial" set of 4 pairs of different sizes of tips, to make sure that I got a good fit.

However, my first experience with them gave me an appalling, dismal sound. Thinking that may be a fit problem, I contacted the seller, who in a couple of days sent me a "fitting guide" image by mail that did nothing to improve the situation.

My suspicion is that the problem is not the isolation, but the "curved" design of the tip that effectively blocks the sound of the headphones.

I would advice any user to be cautious before buying these tips, and strongly recommend NOT to try them on q-jays

Oct 1, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #2 of 9

i think it may just be with those particular earphones. i personally love the earportz and personally i havent gone back to any other Tip. again they might just not be for those particular iem's.  i guess to each their own.

Nov 7, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 9
I just stumbled on these on ebay, they claim to fit both Westone (small) and UE (big) with the same tip - how does this work?

Nov 8, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #5 of 9
  the silicone is extremely soft, thus i would imagine its extremely flexible and could stretch over the nozzle...i can confirm they fit both  w4r and the se535

Hmm... Both of those take a Comply 100 series while UE need 400 or 500 and from what I remember (I put tips on a W3 once, at a meet) there is a big difference.  These allegedly sound good because the nozzle gets wider as it goes deeper into the ear but I don't see how that could happen if you have to stretch the entrance.  Still, two pairs for the price of one pair of Complys makes them very tempting, especially as they wont disintigrate within a month!

Thanks for your thoughts
beerchug.gif

Nov 8, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #6 of 9

Hmm... Both of those take a Comply 100 series while UE need 400 or 500 and from what I remember (I put tips on a W3 once, at a meet) there is a big difference.  These allegedly sound good because the nozzle gets wider as it goes deeper into the ear but I don't see how that could happen if you have to stretch the entrance.  Still, two pairs for the price of one pair of Complys makes them very tempting, especially as they wont disintigrate within a month!

Thanks for your thoughts
beerchug.gif

that is true, however the larger bore should still give you positives on the mids and highs. also isolation with the deep insertion.

Nov 8, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #7 of 9
  that is true, however the larger bore should still give you positives on the mids and highs. also isolation with the deep insertion.

Isolation is what I'm after, looking to put them on some FXZ200 which need bigger tips than any I own due to their shallow insertion.  Not sure if I need large or xl though - how do the sizes compare to "normal" tips?

Nov 8, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #8 of 9

Isolation is what I'm after, looking to put them on some FXZ200 which need bigger tips than any I own due to their shallow insertion.  Not sure if I need large or xl though - how do the sizes compare to "normal" tips?

well very hard to say. the tips are extremely soft medical grade type silicone. i have been able to wear anything from a medium to a XL without discomfort, YMMV, its very hard to say what one will fir best for you, like i said they are very soft and flexible. i have ALOT of tips and i cant compare the fit sizes to any other tip. so its best to get a trial package if possible. if this tip works for you, i think you will find it to be exceptional, if it doesnt you will find the opposite.

i was going to go with the um56 for my westones, however these replaced the idea of the um56 as the earportz fit me personally that good. and i get exceptional sound quality from them. but again YMMV

Nov 19, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #9 of 9
For the record I now have large and extra large EarPortz thanks to Peters Plugs (no affiliation, just a very happy customer) 

The large are slightly too loose so I would say theyre comparable to a medium Comply TS-400, while the extra large are bigger so for the first time tomorrow I will be able to take my FXZ200 outside without having to constantly adjust them!  I'm not (not) hearing anything bad and the comfort has been fine for an hour, so now I just have to hope that the isolation will improve and my Tzars may have a real rival at last
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back