progressive rock?
Jan 31, 2008 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

seals

100+ Head-Fier
I'm very new to this sub-genre. The only artist I have heard of/ listened to is porcupine tree and I love them. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks you.

Jan 31, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #2 of 46
As far as modern bands my favorite (besides Porcupine Tree) is Dream Theater, there are plenty of other good modern ones but I'm a lot more used to the older prog bands. If you are interested in the older prog definitely check out Yes, King Crimson, Emerson Lake and Palmer, the list goes on. I'm sure there are a lot of good ones that I enjoy that I'm forgetting about and there are a ton of bands that I still haven't gotten around to listening to that others will recommend, but I would think those are at least good starting points.

Jan 31, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #6 of 46
Riverside is a good one I've recently discovered.

Jan 31, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #8 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian loves music /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PINK FLOYD

i can't stand dream theatre

which albums have you heard?

@op opeth (progressive metal maybe) and mars volta. Dream Theater can be amazing some times; their best albums are A change of Season, Images and Words, and a Train of Thought imo, and these albums have are a great showcase to Dream Theater's musical muscles. Opeth is good; they are a darker prog metal band that can shread and be methodical in their delivery. One aspect of their singing is the prog/death/metal growling that may turn you off, but their "clean" lyrics are amazing and they have tons of soul; ghost reveries is my favorite of their albums, and ghost of perdition is a killer track. Mars Volta is high energy and extremely layered in their sound; I love their music but they lyrics may put you off and my favorite album of theirs is "De-Loused In The Comatorium".

One of the most epic/over-the-top/ethereal in their music is kamelot. They have a huge sound and alot of theatrics but they can rock in every sense of the word. They shred, have super sweet ballads, and can do pretty much everything in between.

The very last band that I think you should give a listen is Queensrÿche's Operation mind crime. They have a simpler sound but the album speaks to me (track #5). I love the story telling.

Jan 31, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #9 of 46
If you like Porcupine Tree - check out Neal Morse.

Jan 31, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #11 of 46
Pink Floyd's Division Bell came out in 1994.

i haven't listened to much, but i just don't like how the singing fits with the band. Over the top, not very musical or innovative in my opinion. Tool to me is just dream theatre more realized. But i'm not much a rock/metal fan, as i don't like tool much.

Jan 31, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #13 of 46
just a few of my favs...

Marillion
dreamtheater
Queensryche
The Police - Ghost in the Machine
Deep Purple
Rush
Racer-X
Greg Howe
Blue Oyster Cult
Beatles - Sgt Pepper
Steve Vai
Primus
Genesis
Early Metallica
Joe Satriani
Kings-X
Peter Gabriel
Dixie Dregs
Steve Morse
Moody Blues
Kamelot
Yes
Jadis
Symphony-X
Yngwie malmsteen
savatage
Dire Straits
Eric Johnson
Frank Zappa
Alan Parsons project

Im probably in the minority but I think Iron Maiden, Queen, Asia and Styx have some very progressive elements in their music composition, lyrical style and album concepts.

Dreamtheater, Styx, Iron Maiden and Marillion being my favs off this short list. I saw Primus open for Rush in the early 90s, one he11 of a gig.

I don't know why but I just can't get into Pink Floyd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back