Progressive Classical? Modern Classical? Experimental Classical?
Apr 5, 2002 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

elipsis

500+ Head-Fier
I'm not even sure which genre this would come under- I picked up Ryuichi Sakamoto's "Discord" about a year back, pretty much on a whim, and have been wondering what else is available that's in a similar vein.

It's basically orchestral music with a very quirky modern edge, often becoming quite discordant and experimental.

I've also heard small amounts of Philip Glass (his work on Candyman) and was very impressed.

So help me out here. What albums should I get?

Apr 5, 2002 at 5:57 AM Post #4 of 10
Not sure, as I haven't heard this particular selection, but from your verbal description, it sounds like you might want to try something by Kronos Quartet. They are always very "contemporary" and "challenging". I think they even have a compilation of sorts, if you want a sampler. Their Hendrix covers are my favourites.

Apr 5, 2002 at 6:01 AM Post #5 of 10
A Silver Mt. Zion, a Godspeed You Black Emperor! side project has weird, quirky experimental orchestral music.

I second the Kronos Quartet recommendation! They made the Requiem for a Dream Soundtrack great.

Apr 6, 2002 at 2:36 AM Post #9 of 10
holy crap KR..., I didn't think anyone else listened to Elend...

their stuff might be a little on the difficult side to find, but it is quite interesting.

KR..., let me know what you think about Elend, I'm very curious.

Driftwood

Apr 8, 2002 at 12:44 AM Post #10 of 10
theres tons of modern and non-classical orchestral, etc. music around. among them being....

theres atonal stuff like Schönberg and Berg (listen to or watch Wozzeck - its amazing), more modern tinged classical and classical dealing with contemporary themes (Shostakovich), and Minimalist composers like Philip Glass and Steve Reich (i'd reccomend Desert Music ).

so.... enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back