Prog rock
Mar 29, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #1,186 of 4,530
Otherwise, I was left wondering how much classically influenced prog I personally actually enjoy, came up varying results, but as we've been talking about Emerson, I'll just leave this here:

Btw, @swspiers
, enjoyed Triumvirat perchance?

Ha! I thought about posting them about three days ago. Extremely underrated, under appreciated band!

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #1,187 of 4,530
Ha! I thought about posting them about three days ago. Extremely underrated, under appreciated band!

Was a guess if you've enjoyed Emerson, I always shove that towards ELP-fans. I think Triumvirats been unjustly labeled as copycats, they do really stand on their own. Haven't listened to them in ages, thanks for the ELP-discussion for reminding me!

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #1,191 of 4,530
Good luck getting any interest in RPI here. I tried mentioning Banco, PFM and other giants of the Italian progressive music scene with no response.

Here's to hoping! That Banco/Banco in general isn't exactly the most accessible at first, but perfectly described my cleaning feeling.
Collected italoprog LPs in my youth, it's always been close to my heart. The resurgence in the scene has been wonderful in the past 10-15 years!

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #1,192 of 4,530
Vacuuming and minor spring cleaning today, this describes my cleaning!

Good luck getting any interest in RPI here. I tried mentioning Banco, PFM and other giants of the Italian progressive music scene with no response.

Speaking for myself, I'm in grad school, an internship, and I teach. Not a lot of time to explore new music. It's all on my list, especially since Goblin and Ufomammut are in my all-time favorite list. You got my attention with the recommendations. I just need time to explore them. I tend to rely on "old favorites" when under stress...

:)

Mar 30, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #1,193 of 4,530
Speaking for myself, I'm in grad school, an internship, and I teach. Not a lot of time to explore new music. It's all on my list, especially since Goblin and Ufomammut are in my all-time favorite list. You got my attention with the recommendations. I just need time to explore them. I tend to rely on "old favorites" when under stress...

smily_headphones1.gif

Quite understood! I sporadically catch up with the new releases when it comes to prog/invest time in researching older stuff, but often nothing beats falling back on older favorites. I'll push some italoprog, when I has a feeling!

About to hit the sack, and this track just floated from my subconsciousness when I was making some supper. Began playing in my mind!
(Swedish, Kaipa - Korståg from Ingen nytt under solen, 1976)

The part at 3:30, seems like my brain required it for winding down, and getting ready for tomorrows work!
Just perfect for this feeling.

Mar 30, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #1,195 of 4,530
I'm not sure if you are familiar with this Dutch band, Focus. I don't think they ever made an impression here in the States, but when I was living in Paris they were very well known throughout Western Europe. I had the honor of opening up for this very talented band several times - incredible musicians and very nice guys. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvHWl7Bx9kw

Mar 30, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #1,196 of 4,530
I'm not sure if you are familiar with this Dutch band, Focus. I don't think they ever made an impression here in the States, but when I was living in Paris they were very well known throughout Western Europe. I had the honor of opening up for this very talented band several times - incredible musicians and very nice guys. Enjoy!

'Focus III' and their masterpiece 'Moving Waves' are spectacular albums. I have both albums and listen to them regularly.

Mar 30, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #1,197 of 4,530

'Focus III' and their masterpiece 'Moving Waves' are spectacular albums. I have both albums and listen to them regularly.

Moving waves is a masterpiece! - glad there's someone else in this thread who knows about this amazing band. We used to tour with Magma, but I preferred Focus.

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #1,198 of 4,530
I've been listening to this since the early 70's.  Also good is Thjis VanLeers (the founder of Focus)  "Introspection".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj_FWOXdx68&index=4&list=PLW1uKcTAqHfQrqfc7ZBjqLhdYwk7FYRD-

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #1,199 of 4,530
Moving waves is a masterpiece! - glad there's someone else in this thread who knows about this amazing band. We used to tour with Magma, but I preferred Focus.

Okay that is really cool. Any good tour stories?

Jan Akkerman was one of the most overlooked and underrated guitarists ever. Man could he make his guitar sing.

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #1,200 of 4,530
You got that right, he was technically right at the top of the heap, but I loved his phrasing and sense of melody. Drummer Pierre Van Linder was/is a great drummer and you could tell he spent a lot of time listening to Buddy Rich. Pierre also had big chops, and man was he tasteful.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back