Prog rock
Jun 3, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #406 of 4,540
  Three songs that I can't get out of my head lately, they are so powerful, especially the first two.

DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT - Deadhead (Live at Royal Albert Hall):

The Dear Hunter - A Night on the Town:

Thanks for introducing The Dear Hunter to me. Been a long time since I discovered a prog rock band I can really dig into (most tend to sound a lot alike these days).

I'm a huge Devin Townsend fan. I'm sure his work has probably been posted in this thread numerous times already, but I'll share a few of my favorites from him:

And here's Trey Gunn, another one of my favorites (he was part of King Crimson). Not sure if he's ever been mentioned in this thread:

Jun 3, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #408 of 4,540
In hopes of keeping this thread alive my personal favorites this year so far in no particular order:

Big Big Train: 'From Stone and Steel' and 'Folklore' as long you delete the crap from the Wassail EP last year especially the title track (the 96/24 from Bandcamp includes the 3 original tracks from 'Wassail')

Vulkan: 'Obsevants'

Steven Wilson: '4 1/2' and the 2016 remaster of 'Insergentes'.

Katatonia: 'The Fall of Hearts' (semi prog).

Frost* 'Faling Satellites'

Looking forward to the following:

Cosmograf 'The Unreasonable Silence' June 13th

Dream the Electric Sheep 'Beneath the Dark Wide Sky' July 22.

Karmakanic 'DOT' July 22.

Disappointments:

Haken 'Affinity' more electronic wankery like 'Restoration'.

Jun 4, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #409 of 4,540
I've been listening to quite a bit of Riverside the past week.  Some dudes I met at a Steven Wilson concert a while back had recommended them but I never did get around to checking out their music.  I've waited too long as they're fantastic.

Jun 4, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #410 of 4,540
I've been listening to quite a bit of Riverside the past week.  Some dudes I met at a Steven Wilson concert a while back had recommended them but I never did get around to checking out their music.  I've waited too long as they're fantastic.

Not surprising as Steven Wilson and Mariusz Duda, the bass player and vocalist of Riverside put together a song for charity so they know each other.

Riverside is fantastic. If you like their last album, you will love every offering since their debut 'Out of Myself'. Also their concept live album 'Reality Dream' is wonderful. However, with the recent loss of the guitarist from an aneurism their future remains in doubt.

Jun 5, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #414 of 4,540
Big Big Train - Folklore...mindblowing album!!!

I would not go that far. I thought 'From Stone and Steel' was a better album (I love 'Far Skies Deep Time' as my favorite BBT album) but I would agree it is an excellent album.

I just hated last year's EP 'Wassail' and why they included the three studio tracks in the 96/24 of 'Folklore' mystifies me. I know that is their pattern as they did the same with 'English Electric' but I really hate the repetitive chorus on "Wassail".

Jun 7, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #416 of 4,540
Jamer,

Since you have great taste in progressive music would you mind sharing your top 10 or 20 or so albums of modern prog?

Thanks,

Steve aka Spook76

In no particular order :

Dream Theater - Images And Words, Awake, ACOS and Metropolis PT.2
Tool - Lateralus
Riverside - All their albums
Porcupine Tree - All their albums
Steven Wilson - All his albums
Anathema - All their albums after Eternity
Shadow Gallery - All their albums
Fates Warning - All their albums
Katatonia - All their albums after Discourage Ones
Opeth - All their albums 
Amorphis - All their album 
Green Carnation - Light of day, day of darkness
Radiohead - OK Computer, Kid A

Jun 10, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #419 of 4,540

[COLOR=333333]The new Airbag album is now on Spotify.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]Highly recommended if you like bands like Porcupine Tree, Riverside, Anathema and Marillion.[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=417394]http://www.allmusic.com/blog/post/al...g-disconnected[/COLOR]

Interesting you mention Airbag. I just today bought their last three albums 'Greatest Show On Earth', 'All Rights Removed' and 'Disconnected' from Bandcamp at €10 a piece they were reasonably priced. I needed more Norwegian prog :).

Jun 10, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #420 of 4,540

[COLOR=333333]The new Airbag album is now on Spotify.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]Highly recommended if you like bands like Porcupine Tree, Riverside, Anathema and Marillion.[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=417394]http://www.allmusic.com/blog/post/al...g-disconnected[/COLOR]

Excellent recommendation, listening to 'The Greatest Show On Earth' first. I would say take 'Stupid Dream' era Porcupine Tree add some Astra/Pink Floyd and mix in modern Anekdoten and you have Airbag.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back