Prog rock
Sep 30, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #556 of 4,494
More pure speculation, but in order for Opeth to get 'Sorceress' released by Nuclear Blast they may have had to give up a lot of creative control. As Steven Wilson points out in the article I posted above that is not an uncommon occurrence that bands submit masters and what is released by the record company bears little resemblance to the master.

Good article. Wilson and opeth must be pissed. I think the content is pretty blan, especially for opeth. But with production like pale communion I may have enjoyed it a bit more.

Sep 30, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #557 of 4,494

I thought Steven breaking up Porcupine Tree was a stupid thing to do, If this was the mid 70's PT would be equal to Yes, ELP, King Crimson, etc. However his solo work is brilliant! I hope he tours the states. I live near Chicago and got to see PT 3 times in smaller venues and they were fantastic. It was general admission and I had front row. The only compliant I had is they were way too loud...

Oct 1, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #558 of 4,494
  I thought Steven breaking up Porcupine Tree was a stupid thing to do, If this was the mid 70's PT would be equal to Yes, ELP, King Crimson, etc. However his solo work is brilliant! I hope he tours the states. I live near Chicago and got to see PT 3 times in smaller venues and they were fantastic. It was general admission and I had front row. The only compliant I had is they were way too loud...

Steven is doing States tour in November, though doesn't look like there is a date for Chicago

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/tour-dates

I like PT alot, but SW's last two solo albums are interesting enough to be OK with the breakup, though I hope they still do a record some day.

Oct 1, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #561 of 4,494
I can't believe he's passing up Chicago. The last venue he played was the Park West and it sold out! And this place can hold 1000 people.! In fact he used a video taping of the PT show Arriving Somewhere as their first concert film. I was there and the place was packed. Chicago has a huge PT/SW fan base! The mind boggles...

Oct 1, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #564 of 4,494
I serously doubt the rest of the band is playing video games waiting for Steven to call. Steven seems very content regarding his "solo" career. Unlike people like Roger Waters who's solo career tanked. So he decided to tour doing The Wall. I saw him at The United Center in Chicago and it was the best concert I've ever seen.

Oct 1, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #565 of 4,494
Being intrigued by some of your views on "Sorceress", I gave it a proper listen with lyrics in front of me
side note: genius.com is a great site for lyrics with dynamic side notes - end of side note
smile.gif

I liked it from the beginning, never seemed "boring" to me, but now I love it.
You'll find coherency and purpose if you give it the proper attention. Lyrics and the cover art helps a lot. The Peacock feasting on the dead, expresses the duplicity of evil behind beauty. It's feathers also resonate with exotic motifs of the Middle East, a lot of the tracks combine exotic with bitter and evil, like in a mysterious fairy tale. It's not a concept album in the classic sense but the tracks are definitely linked.
Also some of online reviews and interviews confirmed links with Black Sabbath and Jethro Tull, influences that were clear to me from the first listen. Loving those two bands I can't help but love this album. The album is magical and powerful.
And this is pure poetry: http://genius.com/Opeth-a-fleeting-glance-lyrics

Also I'm beginning to get the production style. Heavy bass and distort help on those specific tracks and mellower tracks are clear and clean. It's not mindless compression.

Oct 1, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #566 of 4,494
Being intrigued by some of your views on "Sorceress", I gave it a proper listen with lyrics in front of me
side note: genius.com is a great site for lyrics with dynamic side notes - end of side note :smile:

I liked it from the beginning, never seemed "boring" to me, but now I love it.
You'll find coherency and purpose if you give it the proper attention. Lyrics and the cover art helps a lot. The Peacock feasting on the dead, expresses the duplicity of evil behind beauty. It's feathers also resonate with exotic motifs of the Middle East, a lot of the tracks combine exotic with bitter and evil, like in a mysterious fairy tale. It's not a concept album in the classic sense but the tracks are definitely linked.
Also some of online reviews and interviews confirmed links with Black Sabbath and Jethro Tull, influences that were clear to me from the first listen. Loving those two bands I can't help but love this album. The album is magical and powerful.
And this is pure poetry: http://genius.com/Opeth-a-fleeting-glance-lyrics

Also I'm beginning to get the production style. Heavy bass and distort help on those specific tracks and mellower tracks are clear and clean. It's not mindless compression.

I will definitely give it a few more goes. I love Opeth, and find all their albums get better on re-run. Musically it seems a bit simplistic for them, and the compression is horrible - no excuse for that. Properly instrument tuning and studio recording can create the desired affect without resorting to compression. It's just lazy.

Oct 1, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #567 of 4,494
I will definitely give it a few more goes. I love Opeth, and find all their albums get better on re-run. Musically it seems a bit simplistic for them, and the compression is horrible - no excuse for that. Properly instrument tuning and studio recording can create the desired affect without resorting to compression. It's just lazy.

I too am giving 'Sorceress' a few more listens. I have also deleted by redbook rip and bought the digital download in 24/44.1 from Nuclear Blast's website.

Oct 1, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #568 of 4,494
I too am giving 'Sorceress' a few more listens. I have also deleted by redbook rip and bought the digital download in 24/44.1 from Nuclear Blast's website.

I got mine from iTunes. Let me know if the flac is less compressed.

Oct 1, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #569 of 4,494
I got mine from iTunes. Let me know if the flac is less compressed.

According to the Dynamic Range Database it is overly compressed as the CD. I only bought it because I refuse to compromise on my music catalog. I want the best master possible even if I cannot hear the difference. The comfort, as Steven Wilson stated, of knowing I have all of the bits is worth the expense to me.

Oct 1, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #570 of 4,494
Listened to sorceress again. First time admittedly I was using my hd700 with all my kids in the room. Basically a crap experience. This time using iems by myself.

It is basically a homage to all the influences on their progression as a band. Almost comes across like a final far well to their extreme roots, looking toward their future in progressive Rock. It is experimental; a close and intimate look at all the musical styles they have been experimenting with in more recent years.

I was wrong, the writing is not banal or simple, but rather a homage to the expanding musical influences they must be having to so drastically change their musical style. It is experimental for them, but not super original. I am seeing a glimpse of something interesting here and it will require more spins for sure.

Without a doubt my first impression was off base.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back