Products that last forever
Dec 11, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #16 of 171
1. I have some pretty old jewelry thats been handed down to me, 100+ yrs old and still looks new.
2. Door handles in my Grandparents house have been there sine the house was built in 1925, seems weird to still use them when I think back as a little kid using them.
3. McDonalds french fries

Dec 11, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #18 of 171
CRT monitors and my vintage amps. CRT monitors i love a lot. superior color,brightness,clarity,refresh rate and no boundaries on resolution. i don't care for the weight and power they need and how much heat they disperse. they're over 10-20 years old and still outperform even LCD IPS/S-IPS panels especially in clarity and color detail. thing is CRT are very complex circuity and one wrong move that tube will be sending up to 40,000 volts through your body lol.

Also music instruments last forever too. i use to have ancient acoustic guitar and mandolin. i gave it to my friend to hold on at his place but i haven't been there in couple years but i stay in contact all the time. use to chill and play for fun on his huge 1000w Marshall Stack. i kicked him though every time he increased the volume cause i care about my hearing.

Dec 11, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #20 of 171
Interesting post.  I was just talking about this subject to someone earlier today.

I've got 15+ year old Westclox digital alarm clock that still has no problems and is reasonably accurate over the year (only falls a few minutes off over 6-12 months).

I miss those old Nokia cell phone bricks (black and white screens, no grayscale, only images were crude icons due to the low resolution display).  Call quality was always pretty good, battery life was great, and they were rugged.

Dec 11, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #21 of 171

Didn't have the same experiences with my Shun, tip broke off fairly early and the carbon steel gets worn pretty quickly.  Very sharp and I love it, but not my "durable" knife.

Quote:
then my own long lasting shun pro

I'm a CRT fan too, too bad they don't make any good CRT monitors anymore.  Mine is finally starting to die (12+year old Sun 21") and I'm going to be forced to go LCD once its gone to good. 
Quote:
CRT monitors and my vintage amps. CRT monitors i love a lot. superior color,brightness,clarity,refresh rate and no boundaries on resolution. i don't care for the weight and power they need and how much heat they disperse. they're over 10-20 years old and still outperform even LCD IPS/S-IPS panels especially in clarity and color detail. thing is CRT are very complex circuity and one wrong move that tube will be sending up to 40,000 volts through your body lol.
Also music instruments last forever too. i use to have ancient acoustic guitar and mandolin. i gave it to my friend to hold on at his place but i haven't been there in couple years but i stay in contact all the time. use to chill and play for fun on his huge 1000w Marshall Stack. i kicked him though every time he increased the volume cause i care about my hearing.

Dec 11, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #22 of 171
Dec 11, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #23 of 171
Quote:
I've got 15+ year old Westclox digital alarm clock that still has no problems and is reasonably accurate over the year (only falls a few minutes off over 6-12 months).

I got some crappy Coca Cola clock from a friend for my birthday a good 12 years ago. I just threw it out recently. Still worked, never changed the batteries, but was off by 13 minutes.

Dec 11, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #24 of 171
Quote:
Didn't have the same experiences with my Shun, tip broke off fairly early and the carbon steel gets worn pretty quickly.  Very sharp and I love it, but not my "durable" knife.

Sory about the tip, but are you sure you didn't mess up the edge with a bad sharpening?

Dec 11, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #26 of 171
Quote:
I got some crappy Coca Cola clock from a friend for my birthday a good 12 years ago. I just threw it out recently. Still worked, never changed the batteries, but was off by 13 minutes.

Yeah, I like the old fashioned clocks a lot more than any of those gift guide GPS-synced clocks that they're trying to push on people now.

My iRiver H120 still works perfectly fine and I still can't get around to throwing it out, while I've had one or two more recent flash portable media players die on me, and won't even start up with the USB plugged in.

Dec 11, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #27 of 171

Quote:
Yeah, I like the old fashioned clocks a lot more than any of those gift guide GPS-synced clocks that they're trying to push on people now.

You know what clocks are awesome?  Remember those electric clocks hanging on the walls at school?  Those things are tanks and have perfectly smooth sweeping hands that even the best Seikos, Omegas and Rolexes can't match.  
tongue_smile.gif

I wonder how durable this is.  Anyone know it?

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #29 of 171

Quote:
You know what clocks are awesome?  Remember those electric clocks hanging on the walls at school?  Those things are tanks and have perfectly smooth sweeping hands that even the best Seikos, Omegas and Rolexes can't match.  
tongue_smile.gif

I wonder how durable this is.  Anyone know it?

That is clearly the walls of a station in the DC metro and based off all the dang work their doing lately on the red i'd say not all that long lol, but really it better last a long dang time.

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #30 of 171
Quote:
tongue_smile.gif

I've always wondered by those school clocks had those sweeping hands, but wristwatches incremented seconds as steps.  You'd imagine that if the social order ever broke down, those clocks would still be there hanging over the chalkboards.

That reminds me, another product that always seems to last forever are old Calculus textbooks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back