Prodigy 7.1LT/Maudio Revo5.1/X-fi music?
Jan 21, 2006 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

sinetwo

Head-Fier
I know these have been discussed to death, but I just want some opinions...

I can get these these for roughly the same, maudio for £60, prodigy for £87 (ripoff, from the US) of the x-fi music for £77.

I want both my 2.1 system and my headphones connected at the same time. But not a necessity!

I have alessandro ms-1s (which i havent tested yet!!) and was initially aiming for the prodigy, since it's quite a good combo with the ms1s.

Requirements:
  1. Pre-amp (for headphones, i don't want to buy a seperate amp!)
  2. Good for music (especially with the MS-1s)
  3. Good for gaming (EAX or whatever, need it for CSS)
  4. And I might use it for HTPC in the future, so toslink should be a consideration perhaps?

Anyones two cents are highly appreciated!

Thanks a lot (and sorry for asking so many questions :p)
SineTwo

Jan 21, 2006 at 2:09 PM Post #2 of 31
Your choice between the M-Audio and Audiotrak will very much depend on whether you are willing to pay the extra for the Prodigy or whether you would rather settle with the Revo 5.1. Only you can decide (since you are the one paying anyway).

Alternatively, how about this used Headroom Bithead? The asking price is around what you'd pay for the Prodigy and you are getting a DAC/amp combo that can be used portably as well. Of course, I have not heard it but thought I could add a little more confusion.
wink.gif

Regards.

Edit: Bummer! It does not look like he is willing to ship overseas. If you are really interested though, you could try asking him to re-consider.

Jan 21, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #4 of 31
Haven't heard prodigy but its made by esi/audiotrak and I liked every one of their products I've tried, they have a warm and smooth sound signature (good match with ms1). I can't recommend revo, its cold and analytical, very bright, the amp inside sux for driving low impedance cans, but you can connect the headphone and speakers to it at same time. I don't think you can do this with prodigy and xfi. xfi has similar sound to revo but is better across the board, its clearer sounding and airier, albeit slightly. If I were in your position, I'd go with prodigy, I hear the amp inside is quite good.

Jan 21, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 31
I should add that I never find any need to turn on the head-amp of the Prodigy (with the Grados, at least). The head-amp has a noticable background hiss and the Prodigy can actually drive even the HD-580 unamped to satisfying level.

Edit: just tried the HD-650 with the Prodigy and got similarly satisfactory results. Though volume is also not a problem with the head-amp off, I noticed soundstage has virtually collapsed. The head-amp helps bring some of it back. It's funny though that the head-amp background hiss is close to inaudible with the Senns, compared to when connected to the SR-80 & MS-2. Perhaps the head-amp is intended more for high impedance cans like the Senns and not the Grados.

Jan 22, 2006 at 6:42 AM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33
Haven't heard prodigy but its made by esi/audiotrak and I liked every one of their products I've tried, they have a warm and smooth sound signature (good match with ms1). I can't recommend revo, its cold and analytical, very bright, the amp inside sux for driving low impedance cans, but you can connect the headphone and speakers to it at same time. I don't think you can do this with prodigy and xfi. xfi has similar sound to revo but is better across the board, its clearer sounding and airier, albeit slightly. If I were in your position, I'd go with prodigy, I hear the amp inside is quite good.

I have the Revo 5.1 and I can't say I agree with any of spike's comments about it, however I've never had a chance to compare it to a higher-grade sound card. The only thing I was able to compare it to was what I came from (a SB Live! 5.1) which is really no good. I, however, don't think they are very bright or particularly analytical, as back when I was doing the research myself, I heard many comments saying that the emu0404 was more analytical and brighter. I have also used them with MS1s. They were my first high-end phones, which I sold about a month or so ago to upgrade to my current Beyer DT880s.

Personally, I like the Revos, although again, I haven't heard better, and as is often the case, you can only feel disappointed with something if you know there is something better out there that you don't have your hands on.

Jan 22, 2006 at 12:54 PM Post #7 of 31
I completely agree, i didnt know my regular speakers sounded crap until i got my 2.1s... Didnt know the previous surround system we had sounded so crap to what we have now...

Oh well, in all sense, do you guys reckon it's feasable to shell out a whopping $150 for the prodigy 7.1 LT?

Jan 22, 2006 at 2:24 PM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

I have the Revo 5.1 and I can't say I agree with any of spike's comments about it, however I've never had a chance to compare it to a higher-grade sound card. The only thing I was able to compare it to was what I came from (a SB Live! 5.1) which is really no good.

I am in the same situation. I came from a SB Live and upgraded to a Revo. I think spike is spot on. I think the Revo is very bright and lacks bass. Now, I am driving a HD-555 (50 ohm) directly out of the Revo. So it could be that the headphone output of the Revo is indeed crap for driving these headphones.

Now, I just ordered a Go-Vibe. I'll report how it sounds with the amp. Let's see if it's the headphone output or the card itself.

Anyway. Since the thread starter is using low impedance headphones, and has no plans to buy an amp. I wouldn't recommend the Revo.

Jan 22, 2006 at 2:26 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cage
I am in the same situation. I came from a SB Live and upgraded to a Revo. I think spike is spot on. I think the Revo is very bright and lacks bass. Now, I am driving a HD-555 (50 ohm) directly out of the Revo. So it could be that the headphone output of the Revo is indeed crap for driving these headphones.

Now, I just ordered a Go-Vibe. I'll report how it sounds with the amp. Let's see if it's the headphone output or the card itself.

Anyway. Since the thread starter is using low impedance headphones, and has no plans to buy an amp. I wouldn't recommend the Revo.

Sorry to ask, but what's low-impedance headphones?

Jan 22, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cage

Unfortunately the same applies to the Prodigy 7.1 (non-LT), at least if this is as identical to the Aureon Sky/Space in the analog stage as I assume it to be. It's bright with a 120 ohm HD590, and very bright with a 32 ohm DT231. Maybe bridging the output coupling caps (if there's no more than a few mV across them) would help, otherwise it's prolly the opamp(s) having difficulty dishing out enough current. Has anyone tried such a mod with the Revo yet? This card would be an ideal candidate with its separate headphone out.

Jan 22, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #14 of 31
The prodigy (7.1 at least) has a built in 'headphone amp'. You click a button via the software control panel, and you hear a relay click, and now output 1 is running through some extra headphone amp circuitry.

Just my $0.02 - I actually didn't like the sound at all on my MS-1 (with flat pads). I'm going on memory from about a year ago, but iirc, it expanded the soundstage a little but brightened things up a good bit. Made the noise inside the computer a little more accentuated, too.

With the headphone amp off, it sounded pretty good. Connecting the prodigy to my CMoy sounded better, though.

Jan 23, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #15 of 31
Ok guys, final dilemma before i put the hammer down!

I can order an m audio revo 5.1 for £50.

Or i can order the prodigy 7.1 LT for £85.

Question is, is it worth the price difference, and also, are there any other cards for £85 that are worth considering?

The reason i'm asking is because the LT is friggin $75 shipping! That's like double the card! So if i could get something for £85 stock in the UK, i'd be happy for that (i.e. if there are any cards that beat the prodigy/m-audio and are good for gaming as well)

Cheerios!
Sorry for the constant changes in plans... i'm getting sick of it myself
frown.gif

(Oh and by the way, i just tried the MS-1s with my integrated Realtek AC '97 - and surprisingly it gives WAY too much volume (i.e. no amp needed, playing at 50% and almost blowing my ears off)

So if i'm in no need for an amp, i might as well get the revo 5.1s? Unless there's a better soundcard for £85...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back