Problems with USB Dac Clicks and Pops
Jul 13, 2016 at 11:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

uhhmike

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all -

I'm using a Schiit BiFrost Multbit USB DAC with a Mapletree Ear+ HD tube amp into a Macbook air. I use Amarra for Tidal and have some FLAC files too. I've noticed tons of clicking and popping coming through regardless of what program I use to play music. I think it's the DAC because I've set it up so that I use nothing but the headphone amp into computer and don't hear the clicks/pops. Then again, using an OTG Cable with my Samsung Galaxy S5 the dac/amp combo doesn't seem to cause this problem - but I'm not completely sure because from the phone, the sound does sound weird - just not clicks/pops.

I've also noticed than when this is happening with my dac/amp into macbook, if I unplug the dac from the USB and then re-plug it in, the clicks/pops go away for some time.

Any clue why this is happening? Any solutions? It's driving me nuts. 

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 11
I had click and pop sounds on my DAC/AMP as well. It came exactly as the fridge compressor turned on and off. i solved it by putting a ferritecore cylinder as close as i could on the fridge power cable(those cylinders you often see on usb cables etc).

Might be other things than a fridge on your powernet making it dirty, hell, if you are unlucky it might not even be in your house.

Try moving your amp/dac to another fuse where nothing else is connected(or disconnect everything else you have connected on that fuse). if it solves your problem, connect one thing until you find the culprit/culprits.
Or..
you can or buy/borrow a powerfilter from an electronics store, if it doesnt solve your problem deliver it back. MonsterCable has some surge protectors with EMI/RFI filters for around 40usd. there are plenty others for much more money. google "EMI RFI filter" and you find hundreds :) 

Jul 13, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 11
Did it always do this or is this something new?

Jul 13, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 11
Just started. I changed location of surge protector. It didnt happen since then today though. Not sure whats happening

Jul 13, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #5 of 11
Change locations and see if you get it again better if another room as to not be on the same power circuit . Also with out the surge protector.

Jul 13, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #7 of 11
Why no surge? How else can I connect everything? I have an amp, dac, cpu, light.

Macbook doesn't need a plug forget the light Dac and amp is all just trying to eliminate every possible problem.The most obvious thing can be the problem.

Jul 13, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #9 of 11
Jun 7, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #11 of 11
Resurrecting this post to share what fixed my problem, in the hopes that it will help others.

I was hearing pops while listening to audio through my Schiit Fulla E, and the problem was due to the PC's graphics card being installed in the wrong PCIe slot. While my motherboard has three PCIe slots, one is served directly by the CPU and the other two are served by the motherboard's integrated chipset. Once I moved the graphics card to the PCIe slot served by the CPU, the problem immediately ceased.

My motherboard is a MAG B660M, and here's what the PCIe diagram looks like. I had the graphics card installed in PCI_E3, when it should have been in PCI_E1.

1717786196004.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back