Problems with iTunes 6??
Oct 14, 2005 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

ServinginEcuador

Founder of the Head-Fi Pay-to-Post Program.
Is anyone having problems importing music into iTunes6? I switched over to importing songs as MP3s at 224 and 256k, and they both keep causing errors that kick me out of iTunes. I never had a single problem in iTunes5 when importing stuff into AAC format, and constantly relaunching and rebooting is quite frustrating.

Oct 14, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #2 of 25
Also, why does iTunes import one CD at 24-30x speed, then import the very next one at under 10x? It takes forver to import at these slower speeds, and even closing and reopening the program doesn't always fix this issue.

Oct 14, 2005 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 25
If you have error correction on it can slow down problematic discs (though better rip).

No problems here on a Mac and a PC. Had problems with last update (basically sites not recognizing QT was installed on PC), but 6 fixed that.

Oct 15, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #5 of 25
No error correction is on, but I still have the same intermittent occasions where the program kicks me out and I get an error message trying to contact Microsoft with the problem. It also appears to be completely random as the same track causes problems, then it suddently works.

Hopefully it goes away once I go back to importing AAC or lossless. I'm only importing MP3s to make CDs to play in my car for the drive to Texas next week. The drive is going to be about 25-26 hours, so I want enough music to last me without listening to the same disc over and over and over again. Hopefully the 5g iPods will be out before I go. It'd be nice to simply use that for the trip, and for the times of sleeplessness in the hotels along the way.

Oct 15, 2005 at 7:22 AM Post #6 of 25
i think the software is too beta and theres a lot of bugs-

the software has crashed twice on me ever since i downloaded it- all of the helper exe files are going kabonkers...

and my nano wouldn't play any of my songs and wouldnt' show the album art- it would just cycle through the songs one by one, hoping to read one that wasn't corrupted, but that never happened.
however, once i plugged in my nano again it was all okay. the software is really freakign me out.

i cannot also access the music store every so often.

Oct 15, 2005 at 9:51 AM Post #7 of 25
App has been okay for me, except for three problems I've found (not new to version 6, I don't think):

It creates duplicates of some songs, despite there being only one MP3--it shows up as two entries. About 100 songs, most of them on playlists...

It can't "consolidate library" because really long filenames screws it up.

When I delete a song from the library, it does NOT ask me if I want to send it to the recycle bin like it should--it just leaves it on the HD and removes it from the library.

Not sure if and when these things will be fixed.

Oct 15, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by rbilsbor
It creates duplicates of some songs, despite there being only one MP3--it shows up as two entries. About 100 songs, most of them on playlists...

I've had the same problem with every version of iTunes I've used. Every now and then it creates duplicates when adding music to the library. I've come to the conclusion that it may have something to do with tracks that have multiple id3 entries, but I really don't know if that's true. I use "show duplicates" to get rid of the extras.

Oct 16, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #9 of 25
The one problem I've had since the beginning is if you have iTunes create file name with track number it turns trackname into 01 trackname (of course). But then if you reimport later the files it becomes 01 01 trackname. Do it again 01 01 01 trackname. I only use this system with audiobooks, but it can be a little irritating (though easy to solve with a Doug Applescript).

Oct 16, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #10 of 25
Today ripping a CD I got the message new iTunes available, want to download? Said no. Won't update till the fog clears out about issues and stability of the newer version.

Oct 16, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
Today ripping a CD I got the message new iTunes available, want to download? Said no. Won't update till the fog clears out about issues and stability of the newer version.

I'm hoping I kept a copy of 5.1 so I can downgrade to it and forget about my problems until the fix for 6 comes out.

Oct 17, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #12 of 25
I just downgraded to iTunes 5, and the problem went away. Definitely a bug in iTunes 6, so I won't be upgrading again until after they release some form of fix to rid it of problems like this.

Oct 17, 2005 at 8:51 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
I just downgraded to iTunes 5, and the problem went away. Definitely a bug in iTunes 6, so I won't be upgrading again until after they release some form of fix to rid it of problems like this.

Can you share how you did it? I also have problem with iTunes 6.

Oct 17, 2005 at 8:57 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador

Oh well, that is what iTunes 6.01 is for
tongue.gif

On a lighter note, I never planned on getting a 5G iPod for the Video, but I have discovered one wonderful benefit to iTunes 6: I can now watch all the Lost episodes I've missed so far
icon10.gif

Oct 17, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by yaufei
Can you share how you did it? I also have problem with iTunes 6.

I just uninstalled 6, and reinstalled 5. Nothing more. I burned more than 15 discs in a row without a single problem using 5. With 6 I couldn't get more than a couple of discs done before I started having problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back