problem with resonance
Aug 14, 2010 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Lenni

Headphoneus Supremus

I'm having some problem with (speaker's) resonance - at low volume is not a problem, but at higher volume it gets pretty bad, especially with the low end bass notes . I was thinking of maybe filling the stand with sand would help, but haven't got around to doing it yet. fact is, I listen mostly at low volume, but I do like to turn it up every now and then. I'm sure is not the speakers' fault - exterior factors are more likely to blame.
what can I do about it? I'm not looking for the best solutions (i.e. I cannot put acoustic panels on the walls, etc.); something  I can try that is gonna effectively reduce the level of it even a little would be great for now.

any simple options available?

Aug 14, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #3 of 7

thanks for the suggestion. I thinks it's to do with how / where the speakers stand - the floor. I haven't search about it much, but I'm pretty sure is nothing new. I'm  gonna have to find something - still looking for options.
plants?! that's a funny option 
confused_face_2.gif

Aug 15, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #5 of 7
From your OP, I'm not sure if your writing about a speaker problem, a room placement problem or the acoustics of the room.

If it's bass, bass likes to load up in corners and pockets, where sound pressure can build up.  One solution is to fill the ceiling/wall corners with pads to absorb the bass sound waves so they won't build up in the ceiling/wall corners.

(i.e. I cannot put acoustic panels on the walls, etc.)

You kinda screw yourself with the above.

Putting some 2'x4' acoustic panels, directly behind the speakers may provide relief.

Hope the above helps.

Aug 22, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #6 of 7

thanks for the suggestions.
I finally moved my lazy self, and proceeded to fill the stands with sand. I used two refuse bags for each stand, and used a large glass to pour the sand into the cavities and to use the same amount on each one.
it worked. the resonance's considerably reduced. it's not completely gone, but good enough nevertheless. it's had an influence on the overall sound as well - I wouldn't say it's better or worst yet, just a little different - the bass is tighter, less extended/full. I like it. quite pleased with the result. a relief indeed. recommended.
beerchug.gif

Aug 22, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #7 of 7
I know you don't want to put acoustic panels on the walls, but you could try placing one behind each speaker temporarily to see if the reflection from the wall is causing some of the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back