Problem with Melos Sha-1 Volume Pot
May 7, 2003 at 8:57 AM Post #16 of 18
I just fixed the scratchy pot in my Corda Blue - all I had to do was wind it up and down about 30 times quickly, and now it is dead silent...
biggrin.gif

Who would have known that there was such a simple solution!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2003 at 7:03 PM Post #17 of 18
Hey guys,

I just wanted to share my decisions with you. The Noble pot really had a problem. I couldn't solve it so I went all out and got an Alps Black Beauty from Michael Percy Audio. He was wonderful to deal with, btw. I also changed my RCA female to Cardas GFRA females. The result?
Well, I like what I hear. The noise floor decreased. The system is quieter. The Cardas have a wondeful feel to them. The RCA males never get stuck yet they retain very good contact. The Alps pot is a lot better than the Noble. I hear more detail and the bass is particularly tight.

I just ordered two Amperex Tubes 6DJ8! Can't wait to hear them with the new tubes.

That's it for now. Thanks so much to all those who posted.

Take care,
Hebs
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2003 at 8:30 PM Post #18 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Nik
The bests pot I know are:

1) Penny&Giles: around 1100$ only by special order (3 mounts wait)

2) Alps RK 50; around 550$ only by special order (aorund 2 mounts wait)

I know that these are very expensive, but you cannot imagine the quality, especially for those, like us, that use headphones...

Nicola
eek.gif

Just out of curiosity... What is the point of spending $550 ~ $1100 on a potentiometer when you can get a very very very good stepped attenuator for that price? Stepped attenuators are supposed to provide much clearer sound than pots, right?

I can only think of one reason and that is "steplessness"...
confused.gif

sorry for going off topic...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back