Problem with EAC and FLAC
Feb 21, 2005 at 2:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

LFM

New Head-Fier
Just over a month ago I posted that I could not get EAC to encode my files from wav to flac. I received responses that recommended I try various command lines. I tried them all and nothing worked. At the risk of sounding stupid, yesterday I decided to look at every tab and setting in EAC in hopes of finding something. In the tools section I opened the " Compression Qeue Control Center" option. The box beside "Make all Compression Tasks Sleep" was checked. I unchecked the box. The compression window opened and away it went. As a person with no formal training with computers, I find these things exasperating. On the otherhand, I also find the feeling of satisfaction when you solve something like this kind of addictive. The computer game has many parallels to the game of golf.

Feb 21, 2005 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 8
I did try that guide. I found it to be very informative and well written. I learned about it from a thread that was started here a couple of days ago. From that thread I also learned of Mareo. I am installing it today so I can simultaneously encode to flac and mp3. I am confident that I have been able to figure out Foobar and EAC. I now want to devote my time to improving the look and ease of use of these. Does anyone have any suggested reading and websites?

Feb 22, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #4 of 8
I learned much of what I know about foobar from lurking at forums like Hydrogenaudio, heh. The rest was trial and error on my part. I've yet to see a good guide to improving the looks and ease of use of foobar. Took me about a week of experimenting and tweaking with stuff to get it to a point where I'm happy with it.

And formal computer training is overrated. I'm all about hands-on doing stuff for yourself rather than being taught that someone's personal preference is always the "right" way to do something.

Feb 22, 2005 at 6:30 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helter Skelter
And formal computer training is overrated. I'm all about hands-on doing stuff for yourself rather than being taught that someone's personal preference is always the "right" way to do something.

Agreed. I learned 95% of what I know about computers by farting around on them in my free time as a kid. Of course, I had a bit of a leg-up in that regard, since my dad has been an IT guy since I was in diapers, and was ever bringing home free hardware & software.
tongue.gif

Regardless, the best way to learn how to computers work is to just play around with them, poke into the options and dark corners where most users don't go, and read the guides that people post online on how to use various programs.

Mar 10, 2005 at 6:34 PM Post #7 of 8
I just completed installing Flac with a Eac. I'm a beginner but I figured it out within a couple of hours. I am now ripping my entire CD collection to my HD and then to DVD for back up. Are there are any home or portable DVD players that wil be able to play a DVD with Flac files? I have a Sony DVP NS-715p home dvd player that will play mp3's but not sure about other formats.

Thanks.

Mar 10, 2005 at 6:44 PM Post #8 of 8
i couldnt' get it to work at first, but i didn't bother messing with it. i just said "**** it" and downloaded FLAC's frontend encoder. yes, it's one more step, but it may actually be faster since you can encode your last cd you ripped- to FLAC while you're ripping another cd to wav, if you follow me. when in doubt, try something else, is the pc dude's moto
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back