Problem solved. Thank you guys.
May 15, 2008 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

EnOYiN

Headphoneus Supremus
So, here is the problem:

We've got a server here. It runs on Windows 2003 and is a domain controller. On this server runs active directory. There is nothing wrong with it at this moment except for the fact that this server is old. ( 5 years or older) It is still running without any problems though.

Because we would like to avoid a crash in the future we bought a new server to replace the old one.

My question for you guys is: How am I supposed to get the AD from the old server to the new server?

I have already tried a disaster recovery restoration, but without succes. When the computers reboots I can't do anything and I am getting an error which says that the HAL.dll is not working all too well. I expected this so no worries there. However, when trying to run an inplace upgrade repair Windows fails to give me that option. ( I fixed the boot.ini myself) Is there a way to get that repair install going somehow?

Aside from this I was stupid enough to not make a backup of the HAL.dll of the new 2003 server while it was still running well. My second question is whether there there is a chance that everything will work when I am copying the correct HAL.dll over the wrong one?

If you've got other suggestions for me on how to do this I would love to hear it. I would really like to avoid having to reconfigure the AD.

If you think that what I am trying to do is pointless and will never work, think a little longer and if you really can't find a solution to this problem don't hesitate to tell me just that.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Would this tool be any good?

May 15, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by r3cc0s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
huh?
load up server 2k3 and run a dc promo on it -- should replicate via repmon all of the policy/gpo files of the sysvol including dns db

Alright. Thank you very much. That seems easy enough. Will the old server stay online when replicating or will there be a short downtime?

Edit: I'm still a student and I'm still learning these things. (and I would hate to mess such things up)

May 15, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 7
Like r3cc0s said, you should keep both online and run dc promo on the new machine while both are still on. That way AD can completely replicate to the new server. If you haven't worked with AD too much I would recommend you pick up a book or two about AD
smily_headphones1.gif

May 15, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like r3cc0s said, you should keep both online and run dc promo on the new machine while both are still on. That way AD can completely replicate to the new server. If you haven't worked with AD too much I would recommend you pick up a book or two about AD
smily_headphones1.gif

I've got the books already, but I couldn't really find anything on this subject. I suppose everyone already knew this except for me.

This is the first time I'm working with Windows servers. (instead of *nix servers)

Thanks anyway.

May 15, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My apologies for assuming, I didn't mean to come off as condescending. Good luck with the transfer!

No need to apologize. I just wanted to make things sure before doing something like this. I wouldn't want to ruin a complete workday of over a hundred people. Thanks for answering my question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back