Pro-Ject Headbox, a new headamp
May 15, 2003 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

blr

500+ Head-Fier
Have you seen the last Pro-Ject product? It's a headphone amp called Headbox.

It sells in Europe for the equivalent of about 200 USD. For it's price it is packed with features. It has 3 line inputs switchable from the front panel and two headphone outputs with separate volume knobs (great for comparing cans). I saw the thing in a shop in Stockholm and was amazed by the build quality at that price. Nicely finished sleek black box with high quality RCA contacts. Didn't have the time to audition, but found couple of reviews in the European HiFi press. It appears that the amp scores higher in terms of build and features than for pure sound quality. Nothing terribly wrong with the sound just a lack of finest details compared to the best and much better than Rega ear. From what I've read it seems that the sound will be comparible to say Creek OBH 11. I guess it makes nice budget amp that can also double as a decent and flexible preamp. I should really kick my a#¤ and go audition it. The store has great facilities for headphones demos. Many models and a few amps in a separate nearly soundproof small room.

May 15, 2003 at 5:06 PM Post #2 of 4
I'd suggest a search for "headbox" on this very site - and you'll get quite a few hits including TimS' and my rather disappointing comments. I wouldn't agree on "just a lack of finest details", btw: To my ears the sound was rather totally screwed.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Some more info about the ingredients here: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=31194

May 16, 2003 at 8:54 AM Post #3 of 4
I was looking at one before, found no good reviews at all for it... retailed at EUR250 in a local audio-shop but managed to get a X-Can V2 delivered for the same price.

I'm wary of switchable line-ins as well, you can tend to get noise or distortion from other sources on cheaper gear.

May 16, 2003 at 11:00 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by lini
I'd suggest a search for "headbox" on this very site - and you'll get quite a few hits including TimS' and my rather disappointing comments. I wouldn't agree on "just a lack of finest details", btw: To my ears the sound was rather totally screwed.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Some more info about the ingredients here: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=31194

Sorry didn't know it has been reviewed here.
Good to hear it's not good, saves me time to audition it. Shame though. Project has earned a name for their excellent budget turntables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back