Pro-Ject Head Box
Nov 9, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #61 of 78
Greetings,

Quote:

Originally Posted by jplmk
As someone earlier pointed out, the JRC op amp is a basic, and the amp could benefit from a better one - I got a OPA2227PA and OPA2132PA to compare

I actually had a Project Head Box MkII before reading this post and decided to jump into the mod game. I replaced the JRC with a OPA2132PA as well (no DIL8 though) and really noticed a difference. I had been wrestling with my SR-325s lately and with this mod I am really surprised at how I am enjoying the 325s on the Head Box MkII now.

(And is it just me or does the SR-325s take forever to burn in?)

Old thread now but I thought I would make a post to second the improvement of replacing the opamp. :)

~

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #62 of 78
I saw the head box mkII at a store today for 90 euro. Searched headfi for opinions but not much to be found except a thread burning down the original heabox.

jwatney: have you compared it against other amps yet?

Anyone else tried the MkII and have an opinion to share?

For 90 euro it atleast looks like an interesting budget amp, but I would like a bit more opinions and comparisons before I buy something that wont improve my sound.. Also are there other useful upgrades for it besides the opamp?
Im surprised theres so little posts about an amp that atleast for its price looks interesting and upgradable.

So, speak up anyone that has heard this amp! the MkII, not the original version which apparantly was quite bad.

Thanks for any input

Apr 13, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #63 of 78
Hello,

Quote:

Originally Posted by phalanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jwatney: have you compared it against other amps yet?

I have compared it with another but only with something completely out of its league, the Headroom Millett Hybrid. The hybrid obviously sounds fantastic. A more realistic comparison for the HeadBox for me at the moment is to compare it to the headphone jack on my Rotel (RA-1062) amp. The differences are there but they are only subtle. I haven't done the comparison after the HeadBox was broken in though so it might be more than I remember.

I was going to pick up a Total BitHead in a couple months. I can post my thoughts after getting it. Might want to ping me though. I may forget to post about it.

~

Apr 13, 2007 at 10:40 AM Post #64 of 78
I had it home for some days quite a while ago, used it with my iriver, all I can say is that I liked my iriver better without the amp.

My tip would be: If you want to be on the sure side, buy another amp, maybe like Go-Vibe 6, it is supposed to be very good for its price.

Jun 18, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #65 of 78
Damn, I registered on here in 2005 I should have written a review.. I am sorry

Well here we go, now the headphones have been used for a while now well around 2 years! So has the amp.

Equipment:

Amp: Pro-ject headbox
Headphones: HD600
CD Player: PC Realtek 882M output
Compared to Rotel RA02 / RCD02

Music tested:
Icky Thump – White stripes (CD)
Tavener – FLAC
LCD Sound System – Sound of silver (CD)
Kanye West – Konvicted (CD)
Dizzee Rascal – Maths & English (CD)
Portishead – Live in New York (CD)
Carl Orf – DDD Remaster Phillips (CD)

First of all I did the normal thing of listening to the Sennheiser via the stock headphone socket in the RA02, and it was pretty damn awesome. The weight of the music and the bass in songs like Smack that and *****ole were stunning. However the headphones began to struggle when the screaming highs of the white stripes were introduced. After 3 listens to each track, I identified areas of each song I wanted to compare. First of all I connected the headbox to the RCD and straight away I felt very disappointed at the lack of weight that the headbox was outputting. For some reason it sounded rather flat and horrid. The orchestral part of Only you lacked pace and timing. I was very annoyed at this point.

In my desperation, I tried hooking the headbox to a variety of sources, including an old Akai tape, but to no avail.. Finally I took my 2.5-phono connector and hooked the headbox to the PC and fired up Itunes, however.. being the pedantic idiot that I am, I didn’t play anything, since I really wanted to know what the Realtek output sounded like without the aid of the headbox. The sound whilst not as refined as the raw output of the RA-02 it was weighty and good. However it lacked definition the guitar whaling in Icky thump was beyond the ability of the PC output.

So finally after a couple of hours of listening again, I connected my headbox up, and I used the Icky thump single again, from the outset the sound is so different. The sound quality had immediately improved. The opening guitar riffs were clearly separated the sound was far more dynamic, the headphones were responding to the weight of the drums with effortless ease. I was expecting the headphones to fall flat with the classical, but damn I was surprised again. The harsh vocals of Dizzee rascal were handled without any confusion, it was even easy to hear his breathing whilst rapping. Coming to portishead I felt like I was being serenaded by a binary princess. The headphones thrive in electronic music too, Lcd Sound Systems’ music was perfect suited to the response of the headphones making the listening experience a pleasurable one. The nuances in the shift in music were easily picked up by the headphones. Ece Gratum was about to come next and I was anticipating failure of the headphones. The intense vocal shifts are hard enough for very expensive loudspeakers, as such I wasn’t expecting much from the headphones.

To my surprise the headphone handled the tonality of the singers with utter ease. The sound was clean and crisp and the overlaying of vocals was not beyond the ability of the headphone / amp combo to discern. I was getting more and more excited about the headbox, I chucked in a few more CDs before retiring for the night. After a few months of play the headbox certainly sounds a bit “warmer”

I cannot recommend this amp more, its just a winner if you have desktop PC and some decent cables. I am sure that most of you will have a better CD/DAC pick up than I did for this test, as such you might come across things that I have not heard. The Amp helps in clearing up the murky noise often output through PC outputs. The clarity and definition are the main points on which I’d recommend this amplifier. I am getting a new CD player soon, as soon as that happens I will post an update.

PS: Are there any decent PCI soundcards out there? I want something good to go with my Naim amplifier which is coming soon.

cans.jpg

Jan 7, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #67 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by nacmat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the headbox se and akg k501

but how do I connect the headbox to a laptop?

I have right the one in the picture above

really I need to know how to connect the headbox to the laptop, what cables must I use?

considering the headbox is all rca and the laptop has not such thing

Jan 7, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #69 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1/8" stereo mini plug to stereo RCA.
Parts Express:3.5mm Stereo Plug To Dual RCA Jack Adapter

thanks a lot!

but have you seen the amp? it has line out and line in, these means I nead an rca couple to go from the stereo miniplug you told me to the line in in the amp

but where do I connect the rca couple that goes from the line out of the amp?

Jan 7, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #70 of 78
you see when connected to my hifi I am suppossed to connect the "tape line in" of my hifi with the line out in the preamp, and the line in of the preamp with the "tape line out" of my hifi

I understand this, but dont know how to do the same with a laptop, even with that miniplug you told me I would need a couple more of rca connections, or so I thought

Jan 7, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #71 of 78
Quote:

you see when connected to my hifi I am suppossed to connect the "tape line in" of my hifi with the line out in the preamp, and the line in of the preamp with the "tape line out" of my hifi

I understand this, but dont know how to do the same with a laptop, even with that miniplug you told me I would need a couple more of rca connections, or so I thought

If your laptop doesn't have a lineout then you have to use the headphone out. Turn the volume all the way up on the laptop.

Plug the 3.5mm jack in to the headphone out/line out .... plug the other end in to the aux in of your amp. Usually the aux in will RCA.

Jan 7, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #72 of 78
You will need a device with a line-out or DAC, ala an Echo Indigo DJ, Emu and of the like.

Of course, you can hook it to the headphone jack of your laptop with a mini-mini cable, but it'll sound horrible as all you'll be doing is amplifying the horrible onboard amplified signal...which is precisely the reason people get external (usb or pcmcia)DACs when dealing with laptops as onboard soundcards suck.

Jan 7, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #75 of 78
Quote:

digital to analog converter I understand, ok

where to buy, good prices? good quality?

What laptop do you have? This will really help us help you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back