Price:Performance Confusion ; HD600, Q701, Dt880/990
Nov 7, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #16 of 39
WELP I have offically heard all three, minus the q701 [whic sounds un comfrotable]

Any who, the DT 990 and 880 and HD 600 are all equally comfy 

In Terms of sound 

1 Dt 990 Most Bass Most Treble Least Mids WIDEST sound stage 
2 Dt 880 Least Bass, Middle Mids, Middle Treble, Middle Sound Stage
3 HD 600 Meduim Bass, Most Mids, Least Treble, Least Sound Stage

that is like legit my impressions of them without getting to deep into it 

Nov 8, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #17 of 39
Mshenay, you confuse me. You mean that both the 990 and 880 have the least mids? How can that be? They can't both have 'the least', surely.

Nov 8, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #18 of 39
  Mshenay, you confuse me. You mean that both the 990 and 880 have the least mids? How can that be? They can't both have 'the least', surely.

oops I meant meduim thanks <.< 

Nov 9, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #19 of 39
DT880 Pro owner chiming in. I got mine used off of ebay for $160, and I've seen them go for less. And for that price? I love them to death! I find myself wishing though that I had a set of DT990's instead, because of how much more lively I believe they will be based on many, many reviews. The HD600 is NOT worth that price premium...for that you could find an HD700 or a HE500 from Hifiman that would completely change up the sounds you've got. Or, better yet, a used HD600 and a good OTL amp!

From the generas you listen to, and since the HD600 is out on price, my recommendation would either be the DT880 or 990, whichever you can find cheaper. Feel free to shoot me some songs you like, and I'll let you know what they sound like and how they compare to the rest of my collection.

Nov 9, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #20 of 39
  DT880 Pro owner chiming in. I got mine used off of ebay for $160, and I've seen them go for less. And for that price? I love them to death! I find myself wishing though that I had a set of DT990's instead, because of how much more lively I believe they will be based on many, many reviews. The HD600 is NOT worth that price premium...for that you could find an HD700 or a HE500 from Hifiman that would completely change up the sounds you've got. Or, better yet, a used HD600 and a good OTL amp!

From the generas you listen to, and since the HD600 is out on price, my recommendation would either be the DT880 or 990, whichever you can find cheaper. Feel free to shoot me some songs you like, and I'll let you know what they sound like and how they compare to the rest of my collection.

I paid about $220 for my HD 600, the one that's on my head at the moment! An the DT 880/990 run for around $170 or so, so about $50 between the two

though as MUCH as I LOVED the beyers [I upgraded to the HE 4, which is like... a Super DT 880 [I'm DT 880 Pads on my HE 4 too :D ] I will state that the HD 600 is a different animal all together from the Beyers,

headphone like the Beyers and my HE 4 are very articulate, very subtle, tactile, very transparent and a touch aggressive [a sound I like btw], where as the HD 600 is laid back, Euphoric and very just smoooooth

THE Beyers will DESTROY poorly mastered or low quality music, where as the HD 600 will keep such crappy music still sounding amazingly mellow an laid back

so, the two headphones are pretty distincitve, I know what Sound I prefer, bright, aggressive and tactile, how ever I can appreciate the other side and I know that not every one will like what I like. 

that said, the question to ask is which do you prefer? Euphoric an Organic, or aggressive and tactile 

both are good paths to go down :3

Oh I paid about $330 for my Schiit Vali and HD 600 

Nov 9, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #22 of 39
I never thought I'd say this but the q701 which can be had for 135 is the best price to performance in my opinion easily. It's a less diffuse sound than the Beyers and the sq is very good. The hd600 will never be that low in price. The Beyers lack dynamics and weight to the notes in comparison to the q701 and can be modded for more bass. It also sounds less thin than the Beyers. The q701 isn't for me and I would prob go for an hd600 out of all of them but the q701 at its current pricing is easily the best bang for buck.

Nov 9, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #23 of 39
I never thought I'd say this but the q701 which can be had for 135 is the best price to performance in my opinion easily. It's a less diffuse sound than the Beyers and the sq is very good. The hd600 will never be that low in price. The Beyers lack dynamics and weight to the notes in comparison to the q701 and can be modded for more bass. It also sounds less thin than the Beyers. The q701 isn't for me and I would prob go for an hd600 out of all of them but the q701 at its current pricing is easily the best bang for buck.

I'd argue against that. On my desk I've got some AKG K272HD's, an old set of K240's, and some K240DF's. All of them, A/B'd with my DT880, sound brighter and clearer, but a LOT thinner. The DT880's are warmer and thicker than the AKG's, with fantastic bass power and extension, and I think that AKG house sound extends to the upper models as well. Yeah, the 701's are reviewed to be clear, clean, textured, and very dry, but I wouldn't call them warmer or thicker than Beyers. Definitely a cold, analytical house sound for classical, jazz or acoustic recordings. The Beyers, IMO, are the more versatile sets, and in terms of amp preference too: they sound the same out of most amps or even straight out of a computer, wheras the 701 *requires* a good amp.

Nov 9, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #24 of 39
^ just to verify, you have heard the q701 right. The other akg's are irrelevant in this thread. I am specifically speaking of tonal weight. The dt990 for example has a more squishy/ diffuse sound in comparison.

Not saying you are doing this, but it is natural for an owner of a headphone to defend one they like. But given the fact that the thread starter asked for the best price to performance and you state that the akg is clear etc etc. at 135 it's still the best deal.

An example of what I mean is this: the pandora hope vi is less dry, more clear, more musical than the th600, but it's sound is less dense and more airy/fast than the th600. It has the impression if a thinner(prob the wrong word) lighter sound even though it has fuller mids.

Nov 9, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #25 of 39
I think there is no best deal unless you absolutely like the sound; otherwise it's all a waste of money. I'd agree with Maokun135 about the DT880. It's not thin to my ears. When I owned a K701 I hated it--very dry, harsh sound. The Beyer is nothing like that. As for the Beyer lacking weight and dynamics, I don't usually site the herd for verification, but 99% of user reviews would contradict that. The 880 has an excellent bass response but no "bass bloat"--it doesn't exaggerate bass.  

Nov 9, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #26 of 39
"99% of the herd" :beerchug: I exaggerate too

I guess for clarity it would be good to isolate the dt990 which is at the forefront of my mind I when comparing. The dt880 was only heard in a couple of sessions and after not liking it I still bought the 990 that I now loathe.

None of the above are my preference( possibly the hd600 since I like the 650). Based on sound quality alone and being able to find the q701 for 135 used id say it's closer to being the best price to performance winner. No need for me to defend my totally subjective opinion.

I resign.

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #27 of 39
I've not heard the AKG Q701 sadly, but I lied, I actually got an HD 600 for  $240, I offered him $220 [he accepcted but asked if I was comfortable paying $240, I was so I did]

but the HD 600 and DT 880 are VERY COMFORTABLE, I've heard some negatives about the AKG comfort 

Nov 10, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #28 of 39
 The dt880 was only heard in a couple of sessions and after not liking it I still bought the 990 that I now loathe.

Hmm. One might be inclined to ask how the initial audition (not like) led to the subsequent purchase (loathe) within the same product line. They do after all use the same driver and housing, albeit with different damping. 

I've not heard the AKG Q701 sadly, but I lied, I actually got an HD 600 for  $240, I offered him $220 [he accepcted but asked if I was comfortable paying $240, I was so I did]

Are you saying the seller accepted a $220 offer but you subsequently agreed to pay $240? That's one of the strangest bits of bartering I've ever heard of.

You must be one of nature's true gentlemen.
wink.gif

Nov 10, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #29 of 39
  For $500, I think the HD600 is overpriced. I paid $265 for my pair used. Even $400 was tough for me to swallow. This is very subjective, but I personally prefer my DT880s and I think that technically the DT880 is a better headphone. It's more neutral, has more extension in the bass and highs, separates instruments better, has better dynamics, more detail, and more dimensional soundstage. The benefit of the HD600s is that they have a more natural, emotional quality that comes from their mid-range presentation, and that can sometimes benefit vocals or acoustic instruments. As far as price/performance though, I personally think the DT880s are unmatched. Especially when you consider actual street price vs. suggested retail. The DT880s are usually below $350. Not to mention the fact that the Beyers have tank-like metal construction, and are the most comfortable headphones I have ever put on. Despite their rugged materials, they feel soft and almost weightless on the head. 

+1

Nov 10, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #30 of 39
 The dt880 was only heard in a couple of sessions and after not liking it I still bought the 990 that I now loathe.

Hmm. One might be inclined to ask how the initial audition (not like) led to the subsequent purchase (loathe) within the same product line. They do after all use the same driver and housing, albeit with different damping. 

Saw a smoking deal. One didn't lead to the other. In the store I preferred the dt990 but that was next to a dr 880 and a shure 840. Then later saw a deal I jumped on and it didn't light a match to the hd650 or t50 mod I had so it's competition made me dislike it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back