Preserving homemade PCB's....
Dec 3, 2005 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

mepod

New Head-Fier
i like making my own pcb's, but i sometimes worry that the traces are going to be scratchd away, or that they will degrade over time. is there spary of some kind that i can spray the board with to cover up the traces?

Dec 4, 2005 at 1:27 PM Post #5 of 24
http://headwize.com/projects/garbz2_prj.php

It's cheap, and easy. A package of etchant costs about $13AU and lasts me 4-5 projects. Blank PCBs are <$10 ea single sided. Printer paper costs about $1.

I use a PCB Lacquer from my local electronic components supplier, but most acrylic sprays will do. It just keeps the air out.

Dec 4, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
I use a PCB Lacquer from my local electronic components supplier, but most acrylic sprays will do. It just keeps the air out.

If i spray the PCB before the components are on, can i still solder through the lacquer and make a connection?

Dec 4, 2005 at 5:46 PM Post #9 of 24
Hmm thats somethign to think about.....

I looked at a local (very local, almost 3mins away from where i live) Home Depot and Canadian Tire, and no one there ever heard about using lacquers or acrylic sprays for pcb's. They said I'd be better off using enamel. Do you think enamel is an ok spray for pcb's?

Dec 5, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mepod
If i spray the PCB before the components are on, can i still solder through the lacquer and make a connection?

The lacquer works like a solder mask, so no (I think?). You'll want to cover the solder pads prior to spraying. Office or craft stores should sell little round paper stickers in various sizes that would be perfect.

As far as what will stick to and be safe for the PCB, pretty much anything. It's just fiberglass and copper. You could even prime it and paint it if you wanted. It would look really sweet, that's for sure.

Dec 5, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #11 of 24
The motherboard of my PowerMac is painted dark blue and, yes, it does look awesome.

PinkFloyd: So did you ever make an amp that was fully encased in resin? I remember that thread from a while back and I never looked back at it.

Dec 5, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emon
The lacquer works like a solder mask, so no (I think?). You'll want to cover the solder pads prior to spraying. Office or craft stores should sell little round paper stickers in various sizes that would be perfect.

You can get proper PCB stuff in a can that protects it and you can solder through it, nearly all electronics places should have it
This is what my local store has- http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=NA1002

Users who are viewing this thread

Back