Predator vs. Pico?
Mar 25, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #437 of 451
As I have said in the past, the Predator matures like fine wine. Sounding good after a short while and just getting better and better. I guess in the beginning I should have never said anything, months ago, but it is part of the fun and for me I realized it was/is enjoyable because it was/is a constant surprise at how good this amp is. This may sound strange but it is like it is alive. I haven't used it with one headphone I have that it doesn't sound fine. Well, enjoy.

Mar 25, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #438 of 451
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I have said in the past, the Predator matures like fine wine. Sounding good after a short while and just getting better and better. I guess in the beginning I should have never said anything, months ago, but it is part of the fun and for me I realized it was/is enjoyable because it was/is a constant surprise at how good this amp is. This may sound strange but it is like it is alive. I haven't used it with one headphone I have that it doesn't sound fine. Well, enjoy.

Given its organic nature and wine-like character, you now should also be on the lookout for the point at which the amp turns.
redface.gif

Mar 25, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #439 of 451
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Given its organic nature and wine-like character, you now should also be on the lookout for the point at which the amp turns.
redface.gif

Yes, with fresh doses of music it should be fine. I have read of expensive wine going bad after a few hundred years. I will report back. :^)

Mar 25, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #441 of 451
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wine that lasts 100s of years doesn't change character on a weekly basis.

No but it does change in the beginning. I used to make wine and it ain't the same over time. Even after a few weeks it is different. From this I am moving on.

Mar 25, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #443 of 451
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, so 41 days of round the clock usage to find out if the final product is for you, when there's a 30 day return policy.

My quote said "After 2 weeks continuous it was very enjoyable, but after 1000 hours it feels like a desktop amp".

That does NOT read as 41 days to me. Within 2 weeks (350 hours) I knew the amp was for me, but the final product is icing on the cake.

Mar 25, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #444 of 451
Ray, it is a shame you have to jump in here on the defensive because of grawk misconstruing mine and Jamato8's statement - he must have gotten tired of terrorizing Mr. NICE and found a new target.

Mar 25, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #445 of 451
Whatever. It's reasonable to point out what's involved with these claims of 1000 hours of breakin before you get the amp's final sound. That's a reasonable part of an amp comparison, if you have to wait that long to hear what the amp is capable of.

Mar 25, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #446 of 451
From my notes the Predator had a very good musical and detailed sound with excellent bass impact at about 350 hours. I stopped "burning in" at 800 hours and just enjoyed the music. So easily one should be able to tell if the sound is right for your ears by two weeks...well within the the 30 days return policy. I ordered the predator and the Pico at the same time. Burn in the Predator for a few weeks vs. wait for a Pico a couple months.....

I like the analogy with wine, but to me might be better to compare with a nice Homebrew. I started homebrewing back in 1985 and I had to taste each new recipe weekly ( you make about two cases with each batch
tongue.gif
) and I found out that easily, you knew that a batch would be good and drinkable (or so-so) by 5-6 weeks of aging...and prime time was 8-12 weeks. I strictly just brew barleywines now, these are drinkable at 6 months but golden at one year.
icon10.gif
sorry if this is OT.

Mar 25, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #447 of 451
Quote:

Originally Posted by tako_tsubo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From my notes the Predator had a very good musical and detailed sound with excellent bass impact at about 350 hours. I stopped "burning in" at 800 hours and just enjoyed the music. So easily one should be able to tell if the sound is right for your ears by two weeks...well within the the 30 days return policy. I ordered the predator and the Pico at the same time. Burn in the Predator for a few weeks vs. wait for a Pico a couple months.....

I like the analogy with wine, but to me might be better to compare with a nice Homebrew. I started homebrewing back in 1985 and I had to taste each new recipe weekly ( you make about two cases with each batch
tongue.gif
) and I found out that easily, you knew that a batch would be good and drinkable (or so-so) by 5-6 weeks of aging...and prime time was 8-12 weeks. I strictly just brew barleywines now, these are drinkable at 6 months but golden at one year.
icon10.gif
sorry if this is OT.

As a kid I loved to drink the wine when it was creating gasses from the yeast. We went with wild yeast and sometimes got great wine and sometimes not but it was different and fun. It also had a lot of alcohol content, man did it have a kick.

Mar 25, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #448 of 451
For most home brewers...nothing is ever Not drinkable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back