Predator or Total Bithead
Jul 13, 2008 at 7:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ginsey

New Head-Fier
Hello, Trying to put a system together that is portable with an Ipod and can be used at home with a PC. Both the Predator and TB will do this, Is the Predator worth the extra money ?

Jul 13, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 12
I LOVE my lil predator!!
Not heard the bithead but i can vouch 100% for my predator which just gets better and better!
why not get one used and save cash plus the mega hours of breaking it in?
personally i love each new listen as it really opens up as it breaks in!

Jul 13, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #3 of 12
Heard both, Bithead and Predator (burned in @1200 hours).

Chalk and (matured) Cheese.

Spend the dollars, preferably on a burned in Predator (1200 hours is a l-o-n-g time to be patient for it to mature - I always buy my edible cheese when it's been matured too
wink.gif
).

Jul 13, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 12
I came very close to getting the Total BitHead. Instead I got the Predator based on some of the reviews and the fact that I'll be getting a second set of headphones with higher impedance in the future. It comes down to how picky you are and the headphones you'll be driving.

I'd guess that most would be happy with either until you start picking at your setup thinking about "perfection" which can turn your pockets into a black hole.

Jul 13, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 12
i owned a bithead and its weird shape makes it very awkward when trying to stack an ipod on top. The corner connectors are a pain in the ass.

Have you looked at other option such as the Ibasso D2 Boa?

Jul 13, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 12
My advice is to sell the iPod for a DAP that doesn't need to be amped to sound good, and buy a standalone amp for your home set-up. =P

Jul 14, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My advice is to sell the iPod for a DAP that doesn't need to be amped to sound good, and buy a standalone amp for your home set-up. =P

completely agree. but if you need it to be portable, you might want to look at a pico as well.

Jul 14, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tpc41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i owned a bithead and its weird shape makes it very awkward when trying to stack an ipod on top. The corner connectors are a pain in the ass.

Interesting how different folks have different opinions. I couldn't disagree more with everything this user has to say.

I happen to think that the Total BitHead is one of the best designs for use with an iPod. It's the ideal size, sits neatly on top, there are places where velcro attaches the iPod to the TBH, the rubber lid does a nice job keeping it stable when sitting on a desktop, all the relevant pots and ports and jacks are accessable, and the corner connectors work very nicely with the appropriate HR iPod bag.

Perhaps we just use our portable amps in different ways??

Having said all that, the Total BitHead is not the equal of the Predator. It's a nice enough amp, and IMHO one of the better designed and more useful portables...but it is what it is. The sonics of the Predator are IMHO far superior. But, then again, you pay for that...

That's my $0.02....

Jul 14, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #10 of 12
i guess my issue with the bithead was that all the jacks are on the corners and most of my interconnects didn't have right angle plugs. Standard plugs cause problems. This causes the bithead and ipod to twist away from eachother and take up a lot of space. I guess if you spring for the special headroom bag to go along with it, it works a little better. Here is a pic of the problem (not my setup) Also, the bithead is quite thick in my opinion.

mobility.jpg

Ice%20Link.jpg

Jul 14, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #11 of 12
I've owned the Airhead and didn't prefer the ergonomic design. The plug/jacks were inconvenient for my portable and stationary uses. The size makes it slightly inconvenient to carry around in a small pocket juxtaposed to some of Ray Samuels' and Xin's micro amps. Although plastic probably would prove superior in the durability department, it seriously compromises aesthetics in my opinion.

Jul 15, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #12 of 12
I have owned a Total Airhead in the past and have a fully burned in Predator. Honestly there isn't even a question in my mind between the two...get the Predator. I love the headroom stuff and am a BIG fan of the Ultra Micro stack that I have. However, it really isn't a fair comparison between the two, the Predator is the hands down winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back