Preamps with great headphone performance?
Jul 1, 2003 at 8:19 PM Post #31 of 63
Originally posted by Mastergill
No, no, no...believe me Kuma the Manley is not noisy. If you Nik had heard something it must be at max volume pushing your cans very hard against your ears like a crazy man you are.......

Hey man,

I agree with you that I'm a crazy man, no problem... but not the same for the Manley 300B performance: I never used it pushing the volume up, but I have a very sensitive cans and LOW IMPEDENCE, I can understand that with the HD600 you could have not any problem (I hope), but you can stay sure that with my R10 the Manley is impossible to listen even at lowest volume and for five minutes. I would like you understand me, if you are not of the Manley, I too have not any interest to destroi an amp I bought (for a lot of money). If generally persons that spend a lot of money for a toy tell all positive of his new object, but I'm looking (a lot of time) for the absolute best for my equipment: The source I have, headphone too, even cables and shelves... the amp is finally arriving. Wait just a couple of days and you will see a never seen headphone amp.

Ask to Jatinder about "noise" at any volume level with his R10/Angstrom combo! (And this amp has 15 tubes inside, not 8 like the Manley)...

Nicola

Jul 1, 2003 at 8:22 PM Post #32 of 63
Mastergill,
Nik uses the Sony MDR-R10 which is a low-impedence (40 ohm), highly transparent headphone that will easily pick up even the slightest bit of noise being produced by the amp it's hooked up to. The HD600s are much less sensitive and less likely to pick up the low-level noise. I have the R10s as well, and I have no doubt that if the Manley was producing even a tiny amount of noise, they would pick it up.

Jul 1, 2003 at 8:24 PM Post #33 of 63
Thanks Markl,

I hope the man understand now...

Best!
Nicola

Jul 1, 2003 at 8:31 PM Post #34 of 63
Hey Nik,

You should have tried it with a good phones (sorry) the HD600.

I think there's a hype around that R10, I'm sorry but sony products (consumer) are not very neutral.

What kind of stock cable you've got with R10...you can change it ? If not that's the weakest part of your system !.

Jul 1, 2003 at 8:38 PM Post #35 of 63
Mastergill, the R10 is probably the best dynamic headphone ever made, they cost $4000 U.S., built by hand. They are not some pair of plastic $20 earbuds!
biggrin.gif
Do some research here on the R10s, there's plenty of info! Cheers.

Jul 1, 2003 at 8:41 PM Post #36 of 63
Quote:

Originally posted by Mastergill
Hey Nik,

You should have tried it with a good phones (sorry) the HD600.

I think there's a hype around that R10, I'm sorry but sony products (consumer) are not very neutral.

What kind of stock cable you've got with R10...you can change it ? If not that's the weakest part of your system !.

Mastergill,

I'm very, very sorry, but I think you do not know a lot about headphones and system. Are you telling seriously??? You do not know the SONY MDR R10 cans? I had Grado, AKG, Stax all the best cans ever made, but the R10 that costs 4000 $ and not more available is absolutly the best cans ever made, I also had your Senn HD600...

My cables are totally hand made and adopt a pat-pending model with use "liquid conductors", just to say a 1/2 m. of the interconnect costs around 3500$ the same for the power cords.

My source is the LINN SONDEK CD 12, you do not know this player???

The Headphone amp is unknown, because especially custom made for my cans and his price is incredibly hi... (15-16K $): two box, only the power supply weight 35-40Kg. 90 days for build one exemplar.

I cann't desire more... yes the only thing you are right is that I'M A CRAZY MAN. PERIOD!

Go to ebay and look for the mdr r10, there are some nice photos, and than tell me your impression about the aspect of that cans! If you have money buy it... probably will be the last new one (!!!).

Best regards!
Nicola

Jul 1, 2003 at 8:50 PM Post #37 of 63
I thought this was the pre-amps with good headphone jacks thread?

Jul 1, 2003 at 11:10 PM Post #39 of 63
Hey, Nik, I thought she said that they figured out what the problem is, and it won't exist in any of the new units (even European)? The upgrade is just for existing units that have the problem.

Jul 2, 2003 at 12:29 AM Post #41 of 63
May be in luck. I went to PS Audio's website and clicked on dealer locator. Turns out there is a PS Audio dealer just 10 minutes from my house. I have been there many times before. Hopefully they have the PCA 2 in stock. I will give them a call and check it out.

Jul 2, 2003 at 12:44 AM Post #42 of 63
Quote:

Originally posted by Kieran Comito
May be in luck. I went to PS Audio's website and clicked on dealer locator. Turns out there is a PS Audio dealer just 10 minutes from my house. I have been there many times before. Hopefully they have the PCA 2 in stock. I will give them a call and check it out.

Be sure to report back! I see you are Grado user. I am curious to hear your impression with them.

Jul 2, 2003 at 2:58 AM Post #43 of 63
In an attempt to get a low level hum out of my hd 600s(as not even an aiwa mini system would do this), I pluged them into various home appliances, namely an air conditioner and refrigerator with no affect. Finally a slight hum was produced plugging the senns into my car engine, but its debatable weather it was the lack of isolation due to the open design of the cans that was the source of the hum.
confused.gif

I think Nik knows what hes talking about....

k.s.

Jul 2, 2003 at 6:41 AM Post #44 of 63
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
Hey, Nik, I thought she said that they figured out what the problem is, and it won't exist in any of the new units (even European)? The upgrade is just for existing units that have the problem.

I do not know the old series of this preamp. But the problem is that the 300B (tube) is very microphonic, I remember that when I approach my hand to the amp a very noise I had in the cans. First I tought the the hum problem of the Manley was for his 4 new spikes fdeet, or a ground problem.... nothink! The problem was with the 300B tube and EveAnna and her stuff have installed exctly for this, the little kit (capacitors) in the signal pat of the valve. There was a old series of the Manley 300B, but I think that series do not is more in production and, as EveAnna said, all the units now are equipped with the "upgrade" kit.

But guys, let me tell you... even not considering the problem I had with this preamp, the sound of the piece was absolutly not at the same level I experienced with other custom amp I had... IMO the Manley is overpriced (like a lot of commercial product). I understand this, because the manifactures (big) have a very hi quantity production. For this reason I prefer to spend my money for a artist that realise an object (state of the art) just for my desire.

After a lot of experience I do not remember more the time when I was enchanted by the famous names of the most known manifactures. With the first Ansgtrom amp. I had a idea of the very hi-end sound for my headphone!

Best!
Nicola

Jul 2, 2003 at 7:39 AM Post #45 of 63
Quote:

Originally posted by Nik
After a lot of experience I do not remember more the time when I was enchanted by the famous names of the most known manifactures. With the first Ansgtrom amp. I had a idea of the very hi-end sound for my headphone!

When you know what you want out of amplifer and know your likes an dislikes, I agree, custom job is the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back