Pre-order the new Effect Audio Centurion and receive an exclusive MusicTeck gift!
Jul 22, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #16 of 27
These will make nice stocking fillers for all the family this Christmas.

Jul 23, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #17 of 27
Every time a multi-kilobuck cable or IEMs are announced, people get upset, blaming consumers who buy these products and encourage manufacturers to drive prices up. But in a reality, cable brands like EA and PWA offer products in price range from $100 to $4k-$5k; and btw, as an example, EA Centurion msrp is $4k and PWA Orpheus is $4.7k. I’m sure they manufacture and sell cheaper cables in much higher volumes, and upper end stuff in limited volumes. And after every such announcement, I hear that upper end stuff gets sold out within weeks and there is a long waiting line to get it (EA just announced that 1st batch of Centurion pre-orders completely sold out, people have to wait for the 2nd batch). Some people don’t care about diminishing returns and will pay $4k even for 5% improvement because they can afford it. The price envelope is being pushed because there is a demand, often driven by a wealthy audiophiles in Asia who collect high end gear. And manufacturer respond with a supply to meet that demand, while still offering more affordable and great looking cables for the rest of the market.

It’s just part of life. We don’t get upset that Infiniti cost more than Nissan or Lexus cost more than Toyota. Either one will get you from point A to point B, and you can pay $20k or $60k for it depending on what you can afford. Tbh, I would have been more upset if the company only offered high end stuff, pushing it as “a must have” or claiming that buying their $4k cable will turn your $100 IEM into $4.1k flagship. They don’t do that. And if you find a reviewer who claims that, you will be a fool to make a purchasing decision based on that alone. Plus, anybody who visits CanJams and been at tables of EA, Eletech, PWA, etc, will know these guys have a full spread from high to low, and encourage you to bring your favorite IEMs and DAPs with your favorite music to just try and compare and see if you hear the difference.

And yes, I’m one of those reviewers who will write about it. But don’t expect to read from me about night and day difference, and I will not encourage you to take a 2nd mortgage on your house to buy a cable that cost 2x more than your IEMs. As I mentioned above, if its eye-watering price makes you really upset, EA has Vogues series cables starting at $99 that are also great. Centurion is a cable aimed at those who already invested into Traillii, Mason FS, Erlkonig, and other premium $4k-$6k IEMs.
Yea whatever dude.

"Some people don’t care about diminishing returns and will pay $4k even for 5% improvement because they can afford it."
You are basically implying there is an improvement at all and this is also what the ad implies. There's 0% improvement.

It's funny you mention PWA. My $800 PWA cables that came with my Mest 2 just lost sound in the left ear. It's highly doubtful any of the price you're paying over $50 translates into quality.

Jul 23, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #18 of 27
Yea whatever dude.

"Some people don’t care about diminishing returns and will pay $4k even for 5% improvement because they can afford it."
You are basically implying there is an improvement at all and this is also what the ad implies. There's 0% improvement.

It's funny you mention PWA. My $800 PWA cables that came with my Mest 2 just lost sound in the left ear. It's highly doubtful any of the price you're paying over $50 translates into quality.

First of all, I'm not here to sell the cable and have zero interest if you do or don't buy it :D Just want to be clear since I have been on this forum for many years, reviewed and shared hundreds of my write ups of products from different manufacturers, and I focus on what I hear and how I hear it, and leave it up to you guys to decide if its your cup of tea that worth your hard earned money. The amount of my accumulated Reputation likes speaks loud for what I do, I'm a reviewer, not an influencer or promoter. Now, with that "disclaimer" out of the way, I wouldn't even know where to start to quantify in % any change in sound, don't think it is even possible, unless you start pulling stuff out of your arse. I wasn't implying what you stated above, and was just making a point that when it comes to very high end cables, it is diminishing returns of paying higher price for a refinement rather than a drastic improvement change. That is all I'm trying to say because I talk to a ton of my readers every day, and I feel some are still confused with expectations of investing a few grand and getting % improvement relative to the price of their IEM. Just doesn't work that way. And if someone is trying to justify it, when I hear that logic, I tell them don't even bother and look at something more affordable.

Regarding your Mest 2 and its stock PWA copper cable, as long as you bought it from legitimate distributor/retailers, I'm sure they will take care of you. Mest MKII is an example of a crazy good value, for $1.5k or whatever you paid for it since I have seen holiday sales floating around, you get a quad-brid with BC drivers, PWA cable, Dignis case, AZLA and comply eartips, and a pile of other goodies.

Jul 25, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #19 of 27
This is a strange advertisement - I think. Why would one need to sweeten this deal with a special gift? Either this cable just cost 4000$ and that is its price or just lower the markup and its original price. Giving a free gift just sends out a signal that this cable is way overpriced in the first place which I hope it is because 4000$ for an inear cable - 😮
Oh come one now - maybe the gift is a pair of the AB-1266 Phi? Maybe a pair of HEDD HEDDphones... WITH a pair of Final Audio Design Sonorous VI? Maybe a Focal Stelia and a Utopia combo? I mean keep your mind open my friend.

Jul 30, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #20 of 27
The cable looks perfect for me, but now I have won the Lottery I make it a hard and fast rule to never spend less than $4000 on IEM cables.

Jul 30, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #22 of 27
Jul 30, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #26 of 27
I'm all about squeezing out the last bit of performance from my Shure 215s and I can't see a more guaranteed way of doing so than with a new cable. Put me down for 2 (in case one breaks at the gym). I mean the difference these interconnects made to my Audio Engine 2 desktop speakers was nothing short of miraculous, so I have no doubt the Centurion will D-E-L-I-V-E-R.

Joking aside (or was I?), I've no shade to throw against Effect Audio or anyone buying these. I just like to join in with the general hilarities when the opportunity arise.

Jul 31, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #27 of 27
Agreed!!!

At least a car can make the sound out of a CD. Try plugging this cables into a CD :wink:
I stand corrected. The car can sound just as good at least.

But it won't be this pretty. Change my mind! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back