PPA rewire complete
Mar 3, 2007 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

BradJudy

500+ Head-Fier
I just finished re-wiring my PPA/STEPS combo. I was never very happy with the cleanliness of my initial wiring, so I redid everything to make it cleaner, added one of AMB's epsilon 12s and a DC output jack. I wanted to make better use of the STEPS in the PPA, so I made a switchable DC output jack so the STEPS can either power the internal PPA or an external amp/device. I wired in a bi-color LED to note the power mode. Everything checked out today and I cased it back up.

There's not much else I could do with this amp - I think it's pretty much set. Of course, that just means I'll build something else or rework my Millett.
smily_headphones1.gif

I just thought I'd share - this is one of the few crowds that would get what I was talking about.
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #5 of 11
I'll try and get some pictures taken today. In the mean time, here's an old picture of the front (which is unchanged):

PPA_4.JPG

(technically it's very slightly changed since I swapped output jacks)

Mar 5, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #10 of 11
The new input grounding resistor. I changed the chassis grounding to the recommened configuration of grounding the AC earth ground to the chassis and then grounding the input ground to the chassis via a resistor (10ohm 10W in this case).

PPA_11.JPG

Mar 5, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #11 of 11
New input selector wiring. You can see a bit of the not-so-great soldering of the input ground wire to all of the inputs. These Cardas jacks have too much mass and are a pain to solder well - it took a while to get something solid, so I didn't worry that it wasn't too pretty.

PPA_12.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back