Powerful vocal recommendations
Aug 11, 2008 at 4:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Zarathustra19

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey all,
I'm listening to Josh Groban right now (more popular than I usually dally in, sure), and I'm wondering if there are artists similar to him who exhibit the same powerful vocal qualities.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Dec 7, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by fault/fracture /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jeff Buckley! Check him out...I think he had something crazy like an 8 octave vocal range. Could be totally wrong there, haha...I just know he was damn good.

Check out his father, Tim Buckley, too. He was the one with the 8 octave range. Early stuff was folky. Middle stuff (Lorca, and especially Starsailor) was almost free jazz and takes a little getting used to, but is really genius. Later stuff was funk.

But do check out Jeff's stuff.

- Ed

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #5 of 14
Males only? If not, here's my chance to plug the late mezzo-soprano Lorraine Hunt Lieberson. Her records are gorgeous.

Dec 8, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #7 of 14
I would never consider Josh Groban or Andrea Bocelli as having powerful voices. Try Franco Corelli instead.

Dec 8, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #8 of 14
Having completely forgotten about making this thread back in '08, I was pleasantly surprised to see these recommendations. I've gotten into Jeff Buckley's stuff, and he does have a great voice. I look forward to trying Tim Buckley as well. Andrea Bocelli is well known to me at this point (having discovered some of his work after posting this request), and I look forward to finding some stuff by Franco Corelli as well.

Thanks again guys and keep it up if you have more ideas!

Dec 12, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #10 of 14
I think the most powerful vocalists are classically trained, not pop vocalists. I'm not sure you could compare Jeff Buckley to someone like Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau. Find a copy of Fischer-Dieskau's recording of Schubert's Schwanengesang (EMI), with a simple piano accompaniment. It's my reference recording for the male voice.

Jan 14, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would never consider Josh Groban or Andrea Bocelli as having powerful voices. Try Franco Corelli instead.

Bingo. Groban and Bocelli bridge the gap between pop and classical, but can't project onstage without a mic. Franco Corelli has one of the biggest dramatic tenor voices you will ever hear, and a high C to die for. Maybe not the most beautiful voice, but certainly the most thrilling. Of course it's not really fair to compare crossover artists to pure operatic artists, so maybe you would like someone like Mario Lanza, who dabbled in Hollywood musicals, but could still knock your socks off with his powerful, albeit overemotional, operatic interpretations.

Jan 15, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #14 of 14
also,some power metal vocalists have really great capabilities and also reminds of opera singing. they can get pretty high without dropping a note.
I don't think this is exactly what you meant...so I won't give any recommendations,just felt like posting here
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back